1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hey Art,

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelhammer92, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Take a look across the river. This Steelers team is practically a mirror image of the Bylsma coached Penguins years after 2009. Superstar talent, lack of discipline, satisfied enough to do well in the regular season and make then make $$$ from playoff revenue, out-coached in the playoffs, the list goes on. Ownership finally said enough's enough, and look at them now. The Steelers are wasting the Ben-Brown-Bell years just like the Penguins were wasting the Crosby-Malkin years.

2. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    But Art gets so much praise for keeping their coaches for so long...

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Bylsma was a very successful NHL head coach with the Pens. Playoff wins were difficult but he did win a Cup. I can see the similarities.

The players had a lot of say in the Pens firing. That isn't the case at all for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think art explained things very well

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Steelhammer92

May 19, 2015
    Huh? Bylsma won one Cup after taking over for half a season with what many consider the most talented core in the past 20+ years. He won the Cup early, like Tomlin did. The Pens made it to the Finals the year before winning, the Steelers won the Super Bowl three years before winning. Both teams were stacked when each coach took over. Credit Tomlin for getting back two years later, while Bylsma couldn't. The Penguins had a country club atmosphere, and it showed. The Steelers are as immature as any previous Steelers teams, and it showed.. Their own players called it out.

They've both had incredibly embarrassing playoff losses to their name, Bylsma vs the Flyers and Tomlin to Tebow's Broncos. Both got spanked by Boston teams in the conference finals/championship. Playoff wins are EVERYTHING when you have as talented of teams as they've had. You can't win them all, but you don't want to be defined by your early round exits either, and that's what happened to Bylsma, and is what's happening to Tomlin. Bylsma only coached for 5.5 seasons. The Steelers haven't been to the Super Bowl in 7 years now, and only played in one AFC Championship game since. Playing in only one AFC Championship game might be more disappointing than not making it to the Super Bowl during that span.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think fans have a complete lack of appreciation for how hard it is to reach the SB. There are so many things that have to fall into place for it to happen, from injuries, to a lucky bounce, poor penalty call or no penalty call. Much more then just talent involved. Plus Aaron Rogers and GB havent been to a SB in just as long and I feel he is the best QB in the league.

7 years really isnt that long but at least they are in the hunt most years and give fans something to cheer about and root for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Pride might succumb to empty yellow seats if the lack of playoff wins continues...and yellow seats we already see...

8. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Bylsma had an incredible .670 winning % during the regular season. Currently ranking exactly the same as Sullivan which are both highest in Penguins history. Hardly anything to sneeze at. His playoff percentage was .551 while winning only 8 mores times than he lost in the post season. In other words he cruised to the playoffs but stumbled in them. Much like Tomlin. Tomlin ain't great and neither was Bylsma but both are still very successful. My conclusion is Pittsburgh fans are very spoiled but that ain't a bad thing either.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, when I said that earlier, I didnt mean it as an insult. You get used to winning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And for what it's worth Bylsma is currently unemployed.

11. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I said to an Eagle fan friend of mine the other day. "Congratulations. And now you're screwed. Now... anything less than a SB feels like failure."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers rely on specific all world talent. Every year since 2014, the steelers have lost one of those towards the end of the season each year.

I really do not know what is going to happen next year.

13. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

And to me that is very surprising. I don't care how stacked your roster is, you don't just magically win a 100+ more games than you lose in the NHL by being a terrible head coach..

14. Steelhammer92

May 19, 2015
    A monkey could have coached those Penguins teams to the playoffs. The playoffs are where strategy, scouting, and resiliency separates the winners from the losers. With Bylsma leading, we were perennial losers.

15. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Stanley Cup champs are now considered perennial losers. OK. Got it.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The proverbial "apples to oranges" comparison strikes again?

Is the NFL Combine here yet?

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    What is this "cheer about" and "root for" stuff you speak of? You do realize your not hip if you don't complain about everything, and you are wearing rose colored glasses or drinking the kool-aid if you actually like something, right?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Bradydaphonedestroyer Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Football players are spoiled brats, they play once a wk and they always get hurt...Hockey season is brutal...they play every night with a bloody nose ....

21. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Bradydaphonedestroyer Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Crosby is tom brady of hockey, A cry baby whose always protected by the commish.