1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixing this D: down the middle is the answer

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jan 31, 2018.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    McCullers doesn’t have the drive nor the mean streak for the position. Also he has no technique at all. He survived in college on shear size and never needed to learn any techniques so he didn’t.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't have confidence in Davis at FS. I don't think he instinctive or rangy enough I do thnk he can improve his play in the box. He looks like he can add some weight to help his physicality. I'd much rather set our sights on a true FS...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well then what would our guys be able to use as a excuse.....maybe it's not the complexity of the scheme but who is trying to teach it. Some people know what they're trying to teach but aren't very good at explaining it. I see it at work all the time

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The kid can do it he bounced around from safety to cb. I liked his ball skills when I watched him pre draft.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Idk man....I kinda like his size and versatility in and around the LOS....I watched too many guys who were supposed to be his responsibility run right past him and get behind him...I really want a true FS not one we think can maybe do it...

• Like Like x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not saying I don't want to see him there I am just saying one of the things about Davis is he can play both, imo.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Unless the game itself has drastically changed back into a game which is predicated on Formation Weaknesses, heck no to drafting an interior defensive lineman in Round One; Vita Vea or otherwise.

Those "Renegade" days are not coming back. Today's game is all about Personnel Weaknesses. A true nose tackle is not going to solve any teams run defense issues alone; yet another reason why the position itself has lost its original value.

Now, an in the box safety with very good coverage skills? That is what is needed as we speak; inside linebacker no less (again).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Thanks.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If we have the best NT in the world, he won’t be on the sidelines. He probably will have a fat ass though.

We will not draft the best NT in the world.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And no leverage.

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I still think we need to go to a 4 man base front and add another DL on passing downs . Less blitzing and more line stunts . Play more man coverage with 6 DB'S in when we go 5 DL .

To do this we need 2 more Safeties and probably 2 more CB'S .

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not as a NT he wouldnt be and not in a 3-4 scheme.

13. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I think you are stating the obvious here. I think it's safe to say it was understood that in order for a beast NT to make a difference (like Steed and Hampton did) they need to actually play. Both Steed and Hampton missed very few games; this D MUST have a dominant NT or it simply can't be all that good, same with ILBs and safeties. If you look at when this D dominated, it had stud NT (Steed, Hampton), ILB (Kirkland, Farrior) and S (Lake, Polomula).

14. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    https://247sports.com/nfl/washingto...ct-Spotlight-Vita-Vea-NT-Washington-113874032

This is the guy who would be the beginning of Steeler D dominance, but he will be gone before our pick. They are saying he is Haloti Ngata good. He is an absolute beast, 6-5, 340 lbs. I don't care so much that he is tall (Hampton was only 6-1) as leverage is more important than height at NT. But if you are huge, tall can be OK as it was with Ngata. This guy is everything we need. I would even consider trading up for him. He is just too good.

If we can't land Vea, maybe we settle for Da'Ron Payne*, NT, Alabama. He is not as massive as Vea, but he has serious quickness for a man 320 lbs. We NEED a beast at NT as our D has never been that great without one. You plug a beast in there next to Heyward and Tuitt, and forgetaboutit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    And, once again, plugging in a beast at NT will simplify everything.

16. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    If it hasn't happened yet, it ain't gonna happen, with McCullers. He is massive but has the agility of an Oak tree. Feet stuck in concrete. He is not the answer.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You guys think we get shredded in the air now, watch how bad it is if they try to stay in their base 3-4 okie which theyll need to do to put a NT on the field.

Youre clinging to an outdated defense. Sure, no one will run on them but they wont have too with 600 yards through the air each game.

18. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    A 3-4 works with the right personell. Denver completely shutdown ne( with the exception of gronk who's on another level) running a 3-4. But we don' have anything close to a von Miller, Damarcus ware, or anyone in that secondary.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Denver has a secondary, we dont. If you have the right people on the back end you can make it work but with the way teams spread you out now, you need the extra DB's if you have a poor secondary.

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree, the Vikes have a great D, and they have an big anchor DT in the middle and two great edge rushers.

Few defenses can control the middle of the line. If you can do it you have the chance to be a GREAT defense.

Von Miller fits in the same category as the other DE's that have given Brady fits (Strahan, Umenyiora, Suggs). BIG-sized edge rushers that can take over games. Our smaller OLB's have often been held in check against NE.

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Guys like them only give Brady trouble when they have that pressure up the middle. The key to beating Brady is getting him off his spot by collapsing the pocket up the middle. But see on those particular defenses you had the pocket collapsing from all directions so it was like Brady pick your poison. But just strictly rudhiing him on the outside won't do anything as he will step up in the middle of the pocket. It's why Seattle failed.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    We can talk all we want about a 3-4 but as long as Tomlin is here we are going to keep playing this hybrid style. The 3-4 worked great for Cowher cause that was what we ran and Big Snack was the shut down plug there. What MT is doing gets away from that big pure NT. I have been saying I feel we need another bigger body NT/DT to mix in here. A guy like Phillips, Hill, Brown, Ford or Fatukasi to be able to play both a 3-4 & 4-3 in a rotation with Tuitt, Heyward and Hargrave.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Their secondary played somewhat stole but gronk still embarrassed them. They shut down Edelman and amendola but gronk killed them. He threw a couple prayers to gronk because the rush was all over him. Baltimore had pretty average corners when they shut him down they did have ed reed of course but Brady isn't really a deep thrower he likes to kill you in the short passing game.

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah I agree we aren't running Cowher's 3-4, and a DT/NT who can stuff the run, but rush the passer in a hurry would be ideal. We could use a guy like Fletcher Cox, or Warren Sapp. We need a pass rusher on the edge though as well, maybe if we draft a DT then Tuitt can be that guy on the edge for us?

If we aren't going to play Cowher's 3-4, I feel we need the Steel Curtain back within Tomlin's scheme... 4 LARGE guys who wreck havok. Part of the reason I feel that way is it seems Tomlin likes those smaller MLB's who are more quicker than they are strong.

Maybe I'm too old school, but I think rotations are bogus. Aaron Smith, Hampton, and Keisel hardly got spelled in games until the very end of their careers when they actually needed it. Heyward and Tuitt are young and in the prime of their careers. They are probably in shape enough to play 2 games on Sunday. Part of the chess match of football is setting guys up earlier in games. You cant do that if you are constantly getting subbed out. My stance is if you need 5 guys for a rotation you don't have 3 worthy starters on the team.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with this however a rotation in what a lot of the teams are using including the Eagles.