1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin took over the defense? Has this been posted?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shadowmaker, Jan 19, 2018.

1. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
  2. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    If this is true, then this falls right along with my other post where I questioned a coach who has a purely defensive pedigree. How?

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Even if it's not true, I don't see what difference it makes. Tomlin is the top dog. It's his responsibility to ensure everyone is doing their jobs. If he didn't call the plays, it's on him to ensure Butler calls the right plays and has guys doing their jobs.

Tomlin isn't doing his job.

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not even much of a pedigree. 1 season as a DC, that's it. When he was DC, his defence was worst in the league against the pass.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I did finally get an answer to something we have been talking about for ten years now and that was about game planning for the team they are playing and their strengths and tendencies. That full article about Shazier and the defense where Mitchell is taken out of context said that Tomlin meets with the group on Friday afternoons to go over things that are specific to the team they are playing. To me that seems a little late after you have been practicing several days but it at least addresses that question.

6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think he was the DB Coach for Tampa Bay when they dominated a Super Bowl.
    Not sure why his Defense isn’t built like that one.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  7. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Sure, he was a DB coach, but he was only a DC for 1 year. Like I said, that's not much of a pedigree. I don't really consider a DB coach to be an integral part to how a defence does. Sure, they can help or hinder like any coach can, but the head coach and DC are going to have far more influence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 65Toss-Power-Trap

65Toss-Power-Trap Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Here is the thing: He is 11 years in, and he has not yet installed his defense. He came here as a defensive coach and we are still running the 3-4. He is a 4-3 coach, not a 3-4 coach.

Problem? Yes. We gave up 38 points to Blake Bortles and Jacksonville.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If last year was more Butler I'd like to go back... We had a wider array of blitzes last year, and we blitzed more often.

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    As soon as cowhers players left our D sucked lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    But, in times past, Tomlin has always allowed his coaching staff to call their own plays. When he first got to pittsburgh ... he wanted to keep the whole coaching staff. But, being that the wiz and grimm left because they both thought that they would be head coach. He still promoted from within.
    He has alway been an overseer of his coaches and not a playcaller.
    He got one fake punt right and now he want to call plays? No wonder the defense started to struggle at the end of season ... wow!

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I live locally, I heard this also.Even more reason he should be on hot seat.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Anyone else find it funny that we never heard from Butler about Harrison and his lack of PT only Tomlin and Porter....I would think the DC might have some say in the situation.....hmmm.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He had an all star secondary when he took over, John Lynch at strong safety, Dexter Jackson at free safety, Brian Kelly at left corner, and Ronde Barber at right corner, give me that group any day...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They extended Tomlin"s contract at the beginning of the season until 2020. If Rooney has any balls he should fire him if things don't get straighten out next season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I bet he was told he had to keep things in place by the Rooney's. I'm sure he has been itchin to put his stamp on this offense and defense for awhile now. I bet Rooney's forced him to hire Haley too.

As head coach he should be allowed to make the team in the style that he sees fit, but as long as they are running his system I would still let Butler call the Defense.

Tomlin has more things to worry about during a game, like clock management.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Same old excuse every year it's always next year to get things straightened out, without changes this year things will be the same next year......

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It would be fairly easy to cover guys when your team mate Sapp is in the QB'S face all afternoon. They had a great all round defense ( no pun intended Warren ) good line, good LB
    and a pretty decent safety. That group could make anyone look like a genius.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Exactly. And from what I remember the search for a new coach after Cowher was not exhaustive at all. It ended up mostly being Grimm vs. Tomlin. I remember they were supposed to bring in Ron Rivera for an interview and were just like nah forget it.

20. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Totally agree there. That 4-3 they had, which Dungy based on the Steelers of the 70s, and some GREAT defensive linemen.

It also had Simeon Rice, and a young Booger Mcfarland.

We had the ILB to play that style in Shazier. But I'm not convinced we have that kind of defensive line/front 7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Brooks was there too i think

22. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Won a SB with Brad Johnson at QB. Yep, that D was pretty good.

23. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Di
    I didn't know this at first. But, I did notice the difference in the defense play. We once had a bend but dont break defense ... that turned into ... a defenseless defense that couldnt stop the run or pass

24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Explains why the HC didn't also fire the DC. What's he goinna say: "I'm fired!" ???

25. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I work were I have subordinates. If I feel that I have to do or help you do your job, then I need someone else. If Tomlin is working with the defense then he is not concentrating or giving his job 100% of his time.