1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

One Play

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jeh1856, Jan 18, 2018.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I commonly state that a game is decided by 5 plays or less.

This season changed drastically on 1 play.

If JJ catches the ball cleanly, we defeat NE. Last week we would have played Tennessee who I believe we had a good chance of beating. This Sunday then, we would have been playing NE at home where we would have proven we could beat them. Then off to the SB.

One play.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    JJ caught the ball clean!!

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    You could also pick one of the last plays in any of Ben's 4 4th Quarter Game Winning Drives this year (IND,GB,CIN,BAL) that if we don't make, probably pushes us out of the #2 seed as well. Goes both ways.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    There's no place for logic on the internet

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep, said the same too. The other "one play" was the game against the Bears. We had a guy chasing the runner in that last crazy play before the half where he swatted the ball out the end zone, an illegal "bat." If he simply fell down, was blocked out of the play, anything, the Bears would have recovered the ball in the end zone which would have been the end of the half and they get no FG and there is no OT because we win, go 14-2 and get home field.

6. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    On person's logic is another's drunken rambling.

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The difference is no touchdowns were taken off the board in those other 4 scenarios (that I can remember).

8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    It doesn't matter. I said it before the game, and I still feel the same way. If you can't win a home game against the Jacksonville Jaguars with everything on the line then you don't deserve to advance. Poor coaching, sloppy defense, and over confidence did us in. Not a play that happened weeks ago.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Maybe, or perhaps Tom Brady does his imitation of Blake Bortles and racks up 45 on this D.
    Or perhaps this group, that loves to strut and yap and believes its own press clipping, takes Marcus Mariotta and Derrick Henry for granted and lays their egg vs TN.

Seasons change on one play, but what could have happened did happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Yeah, definitely nice to think about that #1 seed path to the playoffs instead of #2.....in the end, there STILL would have been a post-season game against the Jags or Pats (hell, if they hadn't overturned it, Tom Brady still would have had 30 seconds in the regular season game). Nice to at least be in the bye echelon which we haven't achieved in awhile. Maybe next year, the #1 and a better path....

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Maybe we could transfer to that parallel universe where James did catch the ball cleanly.

12. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He caught it clean and then tried to do to much with it after he caught it. Theres was absolutely no excuse or reason for him to slam the ball across the goal line.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. BlacknGoldBlood

BlacknGoldBlood Active Member

Dec 19, 2017
    I love the people that say "he tried to do to much"... IF you have any type of drive in you then you are going to do everything that you think you can to get a win. GREAT PLAYS ARE MADE ON GREAT EFFORT. Stop saying JJ "tried to do to much". If he makes that play then you think it is the greatest play of all time. (minus the 2 Immaculate plays by Harris and AB). You are entitled to your opinion but c'mon man..."tried to do to much"

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I wouldn't think it was the greatest catch because there was nothing special about the catch itself. It wasn't a shoe string catch, he didn't have to lay out for it, there wasn't a defender hanging on to him, as a matter of fact the closest defender was 5 ft away when he caught it. He could have tucked the ball in and scooted across or simply laid across the goalline with his arm extended upward. He did too much by slamming the ball toward the ground going across the goal line. He did wha t was unnecessary. He could have tucked and laid there and they would have been fine.

He did too much based upon the rule and having knowledge of the rule and how actually close he was to the goalline. If putting the ball across the goal line was all that was necessary (Which the rule should be after a clear catch) I would be praising him, but knowing the rule what is the likelihood you think of losing control of the ball (especially with gloves) when you slam the ball across the goal line like that???

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  15. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    There were a handful of games that hinged on one or two plays!Thakfully Boswell was clutch and bailed us out a few times of going into overtime when we should have soundly won!They played 16 and won 13,which is pretty damm good.Went into the playoffs with the number 2 seed which is also damm good!They Controlled their own destiny before last Sunday by needing to win three games in a row with the first game at home which is pretty damm good!They didn’t get the job done, bottom line!If,could of,almost,close,should of,isn’t getting the job done.They had a real good year!!Let’s look forward to them getting number 7 in the season to come instead of looking back.Totally optimistic they can do it with a tweak here and there!!Go Steelers!!!!!!!

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    actually, would have taken more than one of those, 3 to be exact, because the 3 and 4 seed finished at 10-6 and Steelers were at 13-3.

17. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2016
  18. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Interesting. Steelers host Bills and win. They still face Jags but in Jacksonville.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Some of us are ambidextrous

20. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Jags will beat the *Pats

• Like Like x 1
  21. BlacknGoldBlood

BlacknGoldBlood Active Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Obviously my "greatest catch ever" statement is an exaggeration. All i'm saying is that given the speed of the game there is no time to assess the situation and then make a decision. It's all based on intuition and experience. I really hope JJ, or any Steeler for that matter, never decides NOT to try and score.

22. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I think they will too. Just my gut but they're playing pretty good ball at the right time. As long as they don't turn the ball over, no doubt.

23. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I will take it a step further. Last week. 4th and inches. Run a damn sneak get a first down and punch 1 of those drives in the endzone

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    woulda, shoulda, coulda. Steelers keep getting same results? HC my friends HC.

25. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    yep and ,If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas...
    that play did not affect the outcome of this season ,sorry ,it just didn't ,I'm with turndownforWatt on this one