1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haley and Butler need gone,

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lewisha, Jan 16, 2018.

1. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    and I don't care what it would cost, you need to bring in Wade Phillips as D-coordinator and assistant head coach, with the understanding that he is the replacement for Tomlin if that time comes. Only because Tomlin will be here another 10 years, so Phillips would probably never get the top spot. We need a brilliant D coordinator until we can get some better players.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Haley without question. Do not let your head hit you on the way out the door.

As for Butler, I would say yes but only if the schematics are either not altered or not corrected.

Unlike Haley, Butler has assisted into getting Pittsburgh's defense back into the NFL hierarchy. The issue with him presides in his postseason woes and the constant communciation woes.

Haley's issues extend FAR AND WIDE.

3. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Got to disagree. We need a D- Coord who can transcend all the parts and have a better whole. Wade Phillips would do that. I understand what you are saying about Butler, Defensive drafts and Shazier injury hurt what he could do, but a guy like Phillips would scheme up whoever was out there and game plan to the opponent. I don’t think Butler does that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Aye... Haley needs to walk. Butler shouldn't be too far behind him but I don't know who's available for them to bring in to take those DC reins. Porter should've been gone and KG swooped up when he offered to help. Didn't happen. Porter and Lake need to go in my opinion. Lakes had enough time to show his dogs and every stage of development seems to end in some sort of regression.

I have no idea what Porter offers in all honesty. He was good in a uniform but he's not the brightest guy and that's putting it nicely. He also doesn't seem to get much out of his squad either. Defense in general is just mind boggling to me. I know losing 50 hurt big time, but it shouldn't have lead to mass stupidity communication wise. Mitchell is dog **** period mentally and physically at this point.

I think there is just too much buddy buddy and familiarity amongst The FO, staff and players that makes it overly awkward to put boots in asses when it's needed. I don't know folks the offense CAN be stellar, supreme, the best in the league etc... But is Jekyll and Hyde themselves in terms of consistency. The Defense needs a serious working over period. It's simply more than having or not having the horses to run it.

I don't think everybody sitting down in an office with their seats hot is the fix. Not saying Tomlin needs to go, but he needs to be worried starting now and needs to make the changes needed... Via personnel and his personal approach to things.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

Well he was instrumental in getting the bungles to implode :lolol:

But yeah, should have grabbed Greene when they had the chance.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We just need true football people.
    People that can make good situational decisions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wade just finished his first season with the Rams, he's not leaving there.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I still think firing Haley is mistake... Gotta disagree with everyone.

I know nothing about Fichtner. If he is such a great coach, why didn't he coach Ben up to not take hits while Arians was here?

For me, a new OC would have to be some guru from the outside who excels in situational football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    RF wasn't the qb coach at the time iirc. Ken Anderson maybe?? I may be wrong on the timing though.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Wade Phillips would be awesome, but I think it has a low probability with the rams recent success.
    I could deal with Butler staying IF Lake and or Porter were canned this off-season but that ain't happening either unfortunately.
    I would keep Olsavsky and Mitchell.

13. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The Pats held the Jags to 6 points after half time, 6 points. The Steelers defense couldn't contain them at all after it was clear what they were doing wasn't working. If they are going to give Butler a pass this season they need to at least make sure he knows his job could be in doubt, the same for Tomlin, he needs his seat to start getting warm as well.

14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    And that is so sad, :facepalm: Did you see how the Pat's made adjustments in the second half to with their run defense. Then completely stopped the Jag's running game. Also the Jags then got too conservative and played right into their hands. They just loaded the box something the Steeler's were afraid to do.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  15. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    On the other side of that argument, a Patriots fan that I work with said he can't believe the Steelers put up 42 on that Jags defense.

It sucks. If the Steelers had half a defense in the Divisional Playoff, then they'd be going to the SB.

Oh well... it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Was thinking the exact same thing. That is a crap load of points put up on a great defense.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    one out of two ain't bad, unload Peezy and Carnel will be good to go. Please take coach T with you also.

18. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I hope Haley gets the Browns OC position and beats the Steelers twice next year.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    With Tomlin running the D you can count on it.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Browns came closer to beating the Steelers twice this year than anybody wants to admit. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1