1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the talent on this team overrated -- mainly by fans?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AFan, Jan 14, 2018.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    All I've been hearing is how much talent this team has. HOF QB, best WR in the league, best RB in the league, 3 Pro Bowlers on the OL. How do you stop these guys? But they never lead the league in scoring or really come close. And the go dormant for extended periods,

The D is young, up and coming!! Stout front 7, adding Haden fixed the secondary. Leads the league in sacks. Butler is a genius, that's why we purged LeBeau. But Brett Hundley, Jacoby Briscett and Blake Bortles have big games against it.

Today, no sacks, no turnovers and only one play for loss.

Maybe these guys aren't as good as we think they are, or as good as they think they are.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Offense came to play but defense wins nothing because we ain’t the pats

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Nope. We are the best talented team on offense in the NFL without a shadow of a doubt but are terribly coached.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

I think we have a good core group. Defensively we need a true FS and a pass rusher. Either OLB or DE/DT

Offensively, I think Bryant has to go and we need another big fast WR to pair with Bryant. JuJu and Rogers are good complimentary players. Plus i think this offense can be better with another OC.

5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My fellow fans are pretty critical of the team. So, I say no. And we do have. HOF QB and the best wr in the business

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    offensively I don't think so. they are as good as anyone. I think defensively they are. we have maybe, maybe 1 legit all pro. heyward and in this scheme there is only so much he can do. Mitchell is garbage and honestly spence is not good either. so we had 2 guys out there that probably shouldn't even be playing.

find a way to get Fitzpatrick or Harrison from bama. both excellent safeties but fitz is special. find shazier replacement and u will see a difference

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The offense is every bit as good as advertised. They scored 42 points on one of the top two defenses in the league today. They did it despite one terrible play call on a fourth down and an awful missed call by the officials on the second fourth-and-short.

The defense is awful. Anybody who thought it was better than awful overrated it. They aren't good enough at safety or inside linebacker and the defensive front got pushed around today.

I think Hargraves has been a big part of the problem. He regressed badly this season. Maybe it was the back injury today. I noticed he wasn't out there much in the second half. Walton got pushed around easily when he was in there.

8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The offense is only as good as Ben plays. Ben did play well and didn't play enough today. He was responsible for 2 turnovers that gave the Jags points. Can't lose the turnover battle and expect to win.

The defense needs change. I think they need to change the scheme. Whatever they are doing isn't working consistently for the players they have. They need play makers or difference makers on defense.

9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This defense is bad. Having a player as dynamic as Shazier masked a lot of our problems. Once he was gone our problems were glaring. We could use new starters at both ILB spots, a replacement for Dupree and a replacement for Mitchell.

10. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mitchell is a must. Dupree, for what we ask him to do isn't bad. remember he is still young. Williams is a good run player but him and spence got exposed today.

11. aregeejay

aregeejay Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2014
    This team is overrated in their own minds. They think they be big, bad, tough, invincible, and the most talented in the NFL. Well, the Jaguars have proved otherwise. They are an average team with a less than average coaching staff, from Tomlin on down. Tomlin's tradition of not playing well against so-called inferior teams is infuriating and not acceptable. At this point, I am intrigued by a possible trade involving Tomlin and Marvin Lewis. They are both the same birds of the same feather. At least Lewis gets the most out of his players. Tomlin? Deer-in-the-headlights.......

Enjoy your golf clubs, Steelers....that is, unless the Jaguars took those away from you too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Heyward, Tuitt are definitely overrated. Shazier, as good as he is was a missed-tackle machine for most the season.

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Cam isn’t overrated and tuitt was probably hurt. I bet he looks different next year

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    D needs to change approach . We need to start at the Safety spot and the CB and then the LB , we need to cover first , run stop next , then pressure . Drafting OLB'S who can get schemed out of the play is no good .

15. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    I’ve thought the defense was overrated all year.

How they finished top 5/10 is beyond me (easy schedule) but they almost lost a lot of games to bad quarterbacks.

16. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Offensively, they didn't live up to expectations the first six or so games, but they came on down the stretch. Defensively, this team was an adult elephant perched on a rickety old wooden step ladder all season, and it finally collapsed. I do think this defense would have been better today with #50 on the field and more intense coaching and teaching. Biggest problem though is they simply do not have enough talent throughout the back seven.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Overrated on offense? No.

Overrated on defense? Yes to a degree.

We had the front seven. Without Shazier, we do not have that anymore. For that matter, our defensive lines inability to generate pressure nor stop the rum remains an issue... or more speficially teams constantly double teaming Heyward and Watt because Tuitt and Dupree are essentially non factors.

The secondary needs a new Free Safety as Mike Mitchell will be met by the proverbial Gabriel soon enough. As for Artie, he needs challenged in a big way. Perhaps Cameron Sutton is just the player to do in year two.

Ultimately, what needs to change is not just the personnel but the scheme itself. For that to happen though, a huge philosophical shift is what is essential. Drafting talent means nothing if the talent is not placed in a position to succeed.

For example, I would rather see Javon Hargrave and Bud Dupree as attacking 4-3 defensive lineman and use someone like T.J. Watt a la what Seattle or Los Angeles did for Melvin Ingram and Frank Clark respectively.

18. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I think the defense especially the secondary has some good parts to work with Burns, Davis, Hilton, Sutton maybe even Allen except for Mitchell we need to replace him he has been on a downward spiral since last year.
    They need a serious upgrade in coaching Lake was a great player for us but I just don't see the progress in development of these young guys.

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree that Lake has to go. He should be the first fire in the offseason. I'd fire Porter and Olsavsky too.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah right they aren't getting Fitzpatrick, he will be a top 15 pick most likely.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Heyward isn't overrated, he had 12 sacks this season and made All-Pro. I was disappointed in his play today though.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt they do anything at cornerback this offseason, but they have to do something about the safety position. They should bring in a free agent and draft safety help early.

Burns is frustrating, but I'm betting they will stay with the same group at corner with Sutton challenging Burns for a starting spot opposite Haden.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. The entire defensive line stunk today. They generated very little pressure and got pushed around on the run. But Heyward was a beast most of this season.

24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Anybody else not impressed with Watt? Dude is too slow to come off the edge. He's always 1 second too slow. He had like 2-3 chances at sacks today and missed a lot throughout the season as well. Whole d-line as a whole got bullied and lost us the game. They should be ashamed. Time to go 4-3 full time.

25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Tuitt needs surgery, that’s already out there. Tomlin talked about it. Hargreaves was fighting injuries as well. This was a game that had McCullers shown anything he would have been in there.

Spence showed he can play, but needed more games to work into the system.

Sutton may replace Burns as the starter and Burns move to slot corner with Gay leaving.

Need a few safeties and ILBs though.