1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ramsey and AJ Bouye

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MattyMo9, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If they stop the run, do what other teams did to us when we stopped their running game. Dink and Donk it, that'll be the running game. If you can't get through them, throw over them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

At this time of the year I am not a believer in rust, in the preseason I get it but not now. These are professional athletes and they eat sleep and drink football all day and night. To have 2 weeks off don't mean they forget what they are doing. Imo the whole rust thing is something a bunch of writers who never played need to talk about to make it look like they are worth their pay........

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow, they're pretty cocky. They do realize that they not only insulted Ben with that little challenge but they also insulted a pretty dang good receiving corps? I hope AB, JuJu and Bryant are listening.

4. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I think the jags are going to do everything they can to stop bell and make Ben beat them.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Apparently, you don't understand journalism or football. Roethlisberger has a long history of struggling after time off. The rust factor is very real. Trying to blame that on the media is just silly.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers can't just do one thing and win Sunday. Their strength is the ability to attack a so many different ways with so many weapons. The Jaguars have two excellent corners, but the Steelers have three dangerous receivers. The Jaguars also can't focus on the run or the pass with Bell out there. I would certainly try to establish Bell early, mostly because Jacksonville has shown more vulnerability against the run this year, but balance is going to be key.

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah apparently........NOT!!!! Rust is a real thing in the beginning of the season not the end. If Ben or any player has rust from 2 weeks off after 17 weeks of football when that is what they have done for god knows how long there is a problem. As far as the media goes, well they have never reached for a story right??? I think this stupid crap with Bell talking about next season was a prime example........the media sux!!!!!

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rust is a real thing at any time of the season. We've seen Roethlisberger struggle after byes often enough to prove that, but clearly you aren't interested in understanding much of anything. We've also seen it with other high seeds. The Steelers have even been the beneficiaries of it in the past. The 2005 team jumped all over the top-seeded Colts, who took a while to get their bearings after a long layoff. Of course, I think Pittsburgh would have won that game anyway, but the fast start helped them overcome the ridiculous overturned interception by Polamalu and the fumble by Bettis.

The Bell story is Bell's fault. All he had to do was say he is focused on the playoffs right now and will worry about next season at the appropriate time. Instead, he chose to negotiate through the media. It was a valid question for a reporter to ask. Bell is the one who turned it into a problem.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I just dont see why theyd want to play into the teeth of their defense. You're just asking for trouble. IIRC, at least one pick six was a short pass. Thats a special unit they have back there.

Jags rushing defense is ranked 21st, I dont fear that unit.

I agree about the no huddle.

10. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Just a slave to first impressions I guess :)

Thanks for the.hard facts

• Like Like x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is a bit misleading. The Jaguars were getting gashed by the run early in the season, but they gave up an average of 98.6 yards rushing per game over the final 10 weeks of the season. They are still better against the pass than the run, but the run defense improved as the season went on.

Part of that was trading for Marcell Dareus Oct. 27. Part of that is just fixing some things that weren't working early on. The Jags' defense doesn't really have a huge weakness.

The Steelers' primary reason for optimism is the improvement of their offense since that first meeting. The passing game is dramatically better than it was the first half of the season. If the long layoff doesn't ruin it, Bryant, Smith-Schuster and McDonald are all playing a lot better and seem to be far more in sync with Roethlisberger.

The Steelers were also missing Marcus Gilbert for that first meeting. I know Hubbard has filled in well most of the season, but not against the Jaguars. He was horrible in the first meeting with Jacksonville. Gilbert is a comparable run blocker and a significant upgrade as a pass blocker, so that should help.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok first off there is no need to insult anyone here and I will not keep going back and forth with you if you want to keep it up. I let the first insult go but this second one I will not, so knock your crap off and talk football or don't respond to my posts.

Now onto the subject, rust my be a real thing but not at this time of the year. If Ben who has played football full time for what the last 10-15 years has rust from 2 weeks off there is something wrong. Oh and about them 2 weeks off, it is not like he and all the other players are sitting around eating pizza and wings playing xbox they actually play football! And apparently the whole Steeler coaching staff don't believe in rust either since they were fine with these guys having some extra time off. And for the record I trust them over some message board guy......

As for Bell's fault no effin way, the media is a total joke and want to make things out of nothing. Bell was asked a question and he answered it, the media reported what they wanted to out of the story.....like always!

• Like Like x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well the way I am looking at it is not so much playing into their strength as it is playing into our strength. When this team plays the short dink and dunk they are unstoppable and IMO is the strength of this team. I feel our strength shouldn't be avoided just because it goes against the other teams strength. I do believe we need to put the ball on the ground but we win this game with Ben's arm, but short passing not long. If Ben comes out gunning long I agree 100% with you cause that is not our strength, imo. I also don't feel our rushing attach is good enough to make this game a run first kind of game. Bell has only had 4 - 100 yd games and 1 in the last 8 games. Yeah Bell has had almost 1300 yds but we are a pass team not a run team and that is why I feel we need to dink and dunk and then add in Bell. jmo

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont think this is accurate, we dont even do it that much. We have a medium-long range passing game. Unless you are talking about bubble screens and dump offs to Bell. Thats not dinking and dunking. For all the knocks against Brady for doing that, it takes precision and the need to sustain long mistake free drives. I dont think its a strength of ours at all. If you are talking true dink and dunk that is.

They barely faced anyone of note. Gurly was the best they faced and ran for 116 yards. They did a good job against Gordon but I dont think he was right much of the year. Shady just ran for 75 yards and 109 all purpose yards and was playing hurt. They may be improved but its not a strength and certainly the way to attack them. If Bell can be effective early, it will make Bens life much easier.

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Well I guess I need to rephrase it, the short quick pass that we use...sorry man. We use it and it works then we get away from it. We do use a quick hit to the WR and TE 5-10 yrds and it does works. Not sure what we call it but I will say when Ben get rid of the ball quick our offense is unstoppable. jmo :smiley1:

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't insult you, but you are ignoring facts on this thread.

There is a long history of teams either failing entirely or at least starting slow after long layoffs. As I already explained, the Steelers have been on both sides of it over the years. Practice is great, but it can't truly simulate the speed and competitiveness of game action. The Jaguars aren't going to leave many guys wide open. The Steelers need to be precise and in sync today and that could be a problem.

Regarding your anti-media bias, I can't help you there. Apparently, nothing the Steelers choose to do is wrong in your eyes. The reality is Bell made it an issue by addressing the topic. It was a fair question and there isn't a journalist worth a damn anywhere who wouldn't have reported his answer. The only person who messed up in that situation was Bell. It's not the first time. Remember, this is a guy who has been suspended twice for violating the league's drug policy. It's okay to love watching him play and acknowledge that he has flaws and makes mistakes.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Oh, I agree that they should be running the ball. It is still the weaker part of the Jaguars' defense. I'm just pointing out that it isn't as weak as some people think. The numbers for the whole season are a bit misleading.

The same is true of the Pittsburgh passing game, which is actually better than the full-season numbers because Roethlisberger has been much better the second half of the season.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, I dont know if you thought the D would suck to the tune of 45 points but good eval, I can admit when Im wrong.

If someone told me the Steelers would score 42 points and lose, Id think them a moron.

Bend don't break defense was shattered today. If you look at the numbers, no one had a exceptional day yardage wise, just redzone efficiency. 5-5.

That and giving up 3rd down conversions.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Classy response, Blast. I mean that.

I don't know if I've ever been this unhappy about being right, but I did see this coming. I thought it would be a lower scoring version of today's events, but the slow start ended up being too much to overcome, exactly as I feared.

I'm as stunned as anybody that the Steelers scored 42 points on that defense and it wasn't enough, but I did expect the Jaguars to do a lot more offensively than they did against the Bills. Pittsburgh's defense is a mess. They were going to have to win every playoff game in a shootout and today it just didn't happen.

• Agree Agree x 1