1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell Retiring?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers '08, Jan 11, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Jeremy Fowler of ESPN was the one that started this mess, why ask a player about the franchise tag during the playoffs :facepalm:?

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Because a reporter's job is to ask questions about topics of interest and pursue good stories. There is nothing wrong with a reporter asking the question. Bell could simply refuse to engage on the topic. It's on Bell to keep his focus on the task at hand.

3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Cut him loose regardless of what happens in the off-season. It's not worth dealing with this anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    1. The problem with paying Bell [#1 RB + #2 WR] money is that he’s only one guy. He goes down with an injury (again) or suspension(again), we lose both positions.

2. There’s only so much gravy to go around. The Steelers spend money almost 2:1 on the offense v. defense. We aren’t going to be able to plug holes in the secondary and linebacker ranks with two salaries going to one player.

3. There’s a deadline to sign the tag tender next fall. If he doesn’t sign by then, what’s the situation? Can he still play? Does the team still incur his cap hit?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Who brought up retirement in the interview? If Fowler brought it up then I think Bell is just trying to use whatever bargaining chip he can in his response. Either way, I think its an empty threat. Holdout yes, retirement no.

He should play for free for having the great pleasure in dealing with Haley:lolol:

6. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This. The FO made good on its promise that a new stadium in ‘01 would mean retaining talent. Ben and AB are among the highest paid at their position. So are players like Pouncey and Decastro and Heyward at the time of their respective signings. Harrison got his big pay day when his contract was up as well. I think the Steelers have done an exceptional job at retaining talent, maybe even holding on too long in some cases - but hard to blame them given the success of “older” players on the ‘05 and ‘08 SB teams.

Bell is an interesting case. Phenomenal running back, but has never finished a postseason on the actual playing field. He’s now finishing his 5th year in the league, has had a major knee surgery and a TON of touches in that time. He’s also one failed or missed drug test away from a major suspension. That being said, he’s not even 26 yet and appears to be in pique physical condition.

I do think the Steelers ultimately got it right by franchising him in ‘17 and I have a gut feeling they will follow suit in ‘18 to buy time and see what Ben does after this (or next) season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    I believe adjustments for rbs or any concerns can be made in the contract..2-4 years is livable. He is an all purpose yards player and he contributes as much as top wrs and rbs. If for some reason it dont work, the contract will have some flex.

8. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Being an old guy I long for the days when guys just played and didn't always try to bring the focus on themselves all the time. Maybe its just immaturity or the greed of his agent that is filling his head with these unrealistic demands.

Hey Bell take a moment to look around the league and see the production from rookies or guys still under their first contracts. There are guys producing good numbers making one twentieth of your salary grow up.

Yes your good very good but your not irreplaceable no one is.

If we tag him again he will get depressed roll a big fatty then get suspended for a full year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I agree with the bad timing, but we don’t need to let him walk. He’s the most impactful player on our team. He can be the opponents whole defense game plan. We need to keep him around for a long time.

That said he needs to show up these playoffs. He’s been hurt the last three years at some point in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    You have a point, but you really would be okay with Bell walking if he doesn’t get the amount he wants?

I’m not, because it’s the same for all players. Like we paid Brown, but he’s going to reach a point where we’re tied to him and he’s breaking down, it’s football.

Your rolling the dice on every player you sign to big money. Look at Dez Bryant in Dallas. He’s not close to what he was a couple years ago and they owe him a lot of money. So really it’s a bad business decision every time you pay a player long term, because of injury or just Father Time.

11. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    That dope smoking idiot says this BS two days before our giant playoff game. He has done nothing in any playoff game. I wish they would get rid of that arrogant low IQ SOB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    I agree he’s not retiring or sitting out because he wants his money obviously.

I just remember Hines Ward always taking a hometown discount. Also Mike Wallace we didn’t pay and he was really good with us. Although it turned out to be a good thing because he was not good with other teams, but also played with terrible QB’s.

I will say in the past 5-6 years they’ve been paying a lot better.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Heck, let’s just cut him loose now so we don’t have to deal with him Sunday.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Brown has shown his durability and worth longer than Bell has. Bell is taking too many hits and carries that you can not justify paying him upward of 15 million a year. RBs lifespan is 3 years. If we can get a decent deal done I'm all for it but Bell will be asking more than we can afford to pay that position. With a franchise QB and franchise WR and a defense that still needs some pieces, Bell has perform out of our reach. It's sad but the true.

With the amount of money we are going to pay Bell, we can get a draft pick, free agent and still have money left to sign other players.

Now can we trim some fat from other players, absolutely, but what i don't want to happen is we tie so much money into another player where we have to let other significant players go and start degrading our team. If Ben comes back along with AB, we can have a running back by committee do what Bell does, not to the level of Bell, but good enough for us to still have a significant contribution from that position.

Lastly, if you know the steelers history, we don't pay individuals that we see as a huge risk. Injuries, age, off field transgressions will get you run out of town. Plus, you are running your mouth about what you are worth? The Rooney's and Colbert don't play that. Wallace, Burgess, Holmes, Sanders all great players, some ran their mouth and they cut ties with them.

15. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Agree.
    He gets hurt most important games.
    I hope we win the Super Bowl and he leaves town.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Why is everyone piling on Bell for injuries, guy gets hurt twice on two dirty hits by bengals. It's not like he's faking injuries. He's been an absolute work horse this season and is healthy for the playoffs. I hope he balls out..

Is this the time for contract talk, absolutely not. Did he probably get drawn into a sore subject topic, more than likely. Some guys talk without thinking, it happens. I would bet he hasn't even talked to his agent about next years situation. He's focused on the games now imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Trade him for a top 5 pick and draft saqqaan barkley

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Interesting proposal

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Bell has set the new trend... He can be replaced like it or not. More rb's coming into the position with more flexibility than before. I don't want them to set the new trend for the RB market with him personally as I think it establishes a standard a lot of us don't like... established whining, established falling short usefulness wise, established stupidity= getting an overdue reward? Suspension, injuries aside... He's been driven hard. Really hard! Wether or not his agent is already banging the pipes, he has our O'l D Will Twitter festing him hi 5's and pumping him up and spreading more BS.

I don't know how much tread he has left, nor where his common sense is at currently... But I wouldn't set the precedence of over paying him regardless of what he brings. He's been phenomenal for sure in my opinion to the extent that he's been over relied upon if for no other purpose than team emotions. He goes down, they don't know what to do... Etc... When he's been needed, he ain't good to go (no fault of his own) but it's the tape on him.

Hate to see him go but I believe in a team first mentality. If they seal the deal this year and he's still standing, his reported 15-17 mil request gonna go to 20... And supposedly it's not about the money!

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I know I’m sick of hearing him complain about money. He’s gonna make more playing football than most will make in 10 lifetimes. Just shut up and play. Good grief.

21. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    The team has already seen how dangerous it is to have so much of your offense accounted for by one person. He goes down, you are screwed. And the Steelers aren’t paying him $17 million a year. It’s just not going to happen. Trade him to a bad team with a high pick and replace him. Be done with it. I’m sick of hearing about his whining. Let him whine someplace else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I hear ya, but in all fairness he's just an athlete mired in circumstances. He wouldn't pipe up (no pun intended) if these kids weren't coaxed up to beat their chests as such. I love the dude and what he brings, but the team will financially suffer and set examples that none of us "collectively want" in my opinion. He needs to check himself (which ain't gonna happen) or move on. To give him what he wants defies market logic and I don't want our team to set the precedence there with what will ultimately be remembered as buyer's remorse!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Bell set franchise records in the playoffs last year remember? I also find it funny that folks still call marijuana "dope". When i think of the word dope opiates come to mind. But I guess some people still believe its right up there with heroin.

24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Marijuana is in the same controlled substance schedule class as heroin, LSD, peyote, Qualuudes and ecstacy.

25. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It sure is. I was just saying I think its funny that people still have a reefer madness mindset about it.

• Like Like x 1