1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will this go down as the worst loss in Steelers History if we lose

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Hypocycloids

Hypocycloids Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The 2001 AFC Championship game loss to the Pats had me depressed for weeks. It was and still is the worse I’ve ever felt after a Steelers loss. Little did I know it was the beginning of my building hatred for the Pats and everything they stand for. That game still eats at me sixteen years later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No losing to the Jags wouldn't be as bad as the 94 AFCCG, the Steelers would've gotten smoked by the 49ers anyway in the SB. Losing in the 2001 AFCCG was one of the worst losses, I felt like the Steelers was the better team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I am curious- were you following the team at the time? Because if you were- and I certainly was - then you can understand why people look at it as the worst loss in Steelers history. It was because it was totally unexpected at the time- a total face plant unsuspected failure, coming the week after an annihilation of the Belicheck Browns. No one gave the Chargers any chance, and I think the Steelers were favored by 10. It ripped the life out of you at the time, and for veteran fans like myself who had seen the franchise come through again and again at home in big games, it was a crushing shocker, a loss of faith that still remains with me 23 years later. The way they lost has a lot to do with it.

Edit- a few months after the game, I was talking to my friend and Steelers author/historian Jim O'Brien, who has about 25 years or so of Steeler fandom on me. I asked him if the Chargers game was the worst loss in Steelers history. He thought about it for a minute, and then said no. He picked out a season ending loss in 1963 to the Giants, in which a Steeler victory would have improbably given them a division title and a chance to play the Bears for the NFL title.

• Like Like x 3
  4. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I taped the game on my VCR in 94. I watched it many time and the last being like 6 months ago. I still don't see it.

5. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I was so sure of the victory, I went to my father-in-laws ( a Brownies fan, but a good man), to help with something. Can’t remember. Just remember he left to get a part or something, and there I was, alone in his living room, watching that pass from Neil O’Donnell to Barry Foster get knocked down by the chargers linebacker. He came back and asked me how much the Steelers won by....:shrug:

6. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    You're on crack. Yes that Chargers game was a historical choke job... but it was not any worse then losing to the Bronco's and TT. Losing to Tebow the way we did was unbelievable. We were also stacked that season and with HOF players on our roster.

I frankly think we could very easily lose this game to the jags. We can't stop the run folks. That's a real problem. The jags also have one of the best pass defenses in NFL history. Think I'm crazy? Google it. statistically they are one of the best pass defenses in NFL history and in an era were pass is king. IMO that is an amazing feat by the Jags. A team with a great defense can beat anyone if they play their game. If we turn it over and we can't stop their run we will get our asses kicked.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I understand but the eye test told me that the Chargers matched up well with the Steelers. They were 11-5 and won the division so I guess my expectations were lower than most fans.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What loss is a good loss?

• Like Like x 1
  9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You need some business cards which read:
    shadowmaker
    Official (quarterback that shall remain nameless) editor
    The Steelers Fans Message Board

:lolol::roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If Jaguars QB throws for less than 100 again, yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    How could anybody say the loss to tim tebow was worse than 94 chargers? The steelers were 10 point favorites at home and not to mention had 15 first downs to the chargers 1 at halftime with only a 10 point lead and mr overated giant jaw turns into his protege marty ball in second half. Win and they go back to the sbl in 14 years. The Tebow loss was a disgrace but that team was not great and everybody was hurt and we were missing ryan clark which was huge. That team was gonna get demolished by the pats the next week. Only thing I could think that came close to 94 was 2001 when we were a ridiculous 14 pt favorites against pats but Kordell was our qback and he always scared us in big spot. That 94 game eats at me till this day. And that stupid play calling at end of game. Holymoly

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I've never smoked crack, but I took some LSD in college years. I'm gonna have to disagree on losing to Tebow being worse than Chargers in AFC Championship. Ben was nowhere near 100%... and we had Ryan Mundy subbing for Ryan Clark. That's a huge dropoff in talent at free safety. Not to mention we were thin on O-line for that game. It was ripe for a letdown. The '94 Steelers team was healthy for the AFC Championship. No excuse to lose to the Chargers who were outmanned by the Steelers at every level, even at linebacker, with them having the great Junior Seau.

I agree with your assessment of the Jaguars. They can easily win this game if: A- the Steelers come out flat and the offense goes into turtle mode with stupid bubble screens. B- the defense gives up huge chunks of yardage on run plays. C- Jags defense gets 2 or more turnovers. D- if Steelers offense doesn't utilize Bell, McDonald and James while relying too much on AB, with Ben forcing throws. E- Steelers defense makes Bortles look like the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning by giving up huge pass plays.

Yes, the Steelers could very well lose to the Jags. If the Jaguars defense is so great and powerful as you claim, then why did greenhorn Jimmy Garapolo and Marcus Mariota completely own and torch them? Those QBs are not exactly Brady/Brees/Rodgers-caliber QBs. Truth.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Losing to Denver and Tebow isn't worse than the loss to the Chargers in 94, the loss to the Chargers was a AFCCG at home and the Steelers was a big favorite. That defense in the Tebow loss those guys were done old and slow, Ryan Calrk couldn't play because of his medical condition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    apparently the one vs the patriots because

1. we won that game but the refs took it from us

2. it showed we could hang with brady

3. better to lose because we cant beat pats twice

4. lol

15. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I am getting worried about all the defensive injuries this week.

16. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016
    agree

17. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016

Those were hardly injuries

18. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Will this go down as the worst loss in Steelers History if we lose

You said if! You said IF!
    The meds ARE working!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

As everyone’s talking about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    "A team with a great defense can beat anyone..."

Just ask Trent Dilfer. I think the Ravens let him go a few weeks after the Super Bowl victory. That was a team that won it all because of defense. Although, in his defense, Dilfer had a pretty good Super Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    The Tebow loss was especially painful for me because I was living in Denver at the time. And tebow mania was at a fever pitch. Particularly appalling was his ineptitude at throwing. I was reminded of the seal that waved to the crowd at Sea World.

Historically, this loss would be bad but not the worst. Top 5 for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers have lost a lot of AFC Championships over the years. The first Steelers AFCC loss I remember was the one vs. Marino and the Dolphins in January '85. Steelers actually overachieved that year by getting that far in the playoffs. It still sucked. After that loss, the Steelers were in rebuild mode until 1989 when Brister, Hoge, etc... led them to a playoff victory vs. Oilers. The Steelers were terrible for most of my high school years in the late 80's. They were so bad, they weren't included on Techmo Bowl on Nintendo.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  23. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Hey TT, I will accept this job. :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
  24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Idk about the worst ever... but it certainly wouldn’t be a good one. Being at home and going against a trash QB like Bortles would hurt. They have a really good secondary tho and they have shown the ability to run the ball fairly well too. They may not be a very good team, but they are at least pretty solid. They just need a big time QB to help get them to “contender” status.

25. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    This would be more than a loss, this could be a tipping point for the organization going forward. A Jacksonville loss would likely preempt the departure of some key players and a re- tooling of the roster. This is the year, we have to make a run. A loss would tear the team Apart.