1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell Retiring?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers '08, Jan 11, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Win the SB, then call his bluff and tag him anyway. I doubt he will turn down 14 million.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    They already offered a fair contract... More than fair to be honest. You're right tho, some idiot will up the net worth on rb's with him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This reminds me of the Barry Foster, 'I won't be here next season' comment before the 1994 playoff game against the Chargers. Nothing good comes from this kind of stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Bell is the complete package running back. He's in incredible physical shape. Patient but explosive runner. Great vision. Great blocking. Great hands. Can play either slot or wide out. Really the only thing we haven't seen is passing ability on a trick play. Somebody on here said there are a bunch of RB's coming out of college. I'll bet not a single one of them has all the skill Le'Veon has and never will. Steeler's need to pony up some money next year or we will see his talents go to another team while his replacement will be a huge drop off.

5. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Mehh he just wants a long tearm contract, nothing more and i dont blame him. He wont sit out if tagged either.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They did pony up this year, Bell turned them down. Are you saying Bell gets to set his own price?

Steelers always offer fair value. Bell is being greedy.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I think we should pay him, cause he’s our best player. I think even more so then Brown. Brown can takeover a game for sure, but Bell can be our entire game and the other team whole focus. That said it is annoying to hear another Steeler running their mouth before the game, and it’s not a regular season game it’s the PLAYOFFS. Come on Steelers get it together.

8. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I don’t know about the Steelers always being fair. They’ve been known to not pay guys for awhile now. I was surprised when they paid Brown.

Bell to me is the most important player on offense, but from what I’ve heard he wants to be paid as one of the highest players not just running backs. Good luck with that.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Back in the 90's yeah, when FA first began. Not for a while though, they take care of their own.

Had no doubt they'd pay Brown. They made a couple adjustments to his contract to keep him happy before his big payday.

Agree about Bell, super talent and would be great to keep him but he's going to price himself out. He'll be here next year though, he'll play under the tag, no way he sits out or retires.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Pay him , hes worth it. Hes speaking his mind,It aint nothing new. The whole team supports him, they freestylin having fun about it in the locker room. Its a professional sport and business is boomin, I hope they make it happen too.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    His last 3 seasons: suspension, suspension, holdout. Wisen up, Bell.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    How about we let him win something before they back the armored truck up to him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
  14. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Let’s see if he can stay on the field :/

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He already has. Was it not 15 mil he turned down? He would look stupid to sign for less now

16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    It's all about the money. It seems most players in pro sports care more about the dollars then they do about the Championships. Very few have turned down the $ for a chance at a Championship.

I always said if I could have been a pro baseball player I would have been a Pirate my whole career regardless of the money but I'm a homer seems most couldn't care less about their favorite teams, it's, show me he money.

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I was just thinking the same thing. Shows that Bell's maturity level is still not where it should be. He will be 26 when next season starts. I would not give him more then a 4 year deal. It might be time to part ways, he will not get 17 mill from the Steelers with most guaranteed. Sorry I don't see that. I don't want to lose his talent but there is only so much to go around. Franchise him and if he retires or holds out so be it. The team has so much money tied up in certain players, to of the biggest Ben and Brown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I disagree. Paying a running back 15 million a year is not a sound business decision. Running backs don't last in the NFL. Especially ones that has had the amount of workload that Bell has had. Couple the fact with some injuries and past off field discretions he is not worth risk.

Now, don't get me wrong, Bell is talent and one of the top two backs in the league but if we pay him that type of money, it will tie are hands to be unable to keep the core group of players together, force us to do restructures with individuals we don't want to pay after their usefulness has expired, and be tied to Bell probably after he is not as good anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I believe if they tag him and he sits out the year, the steelers still have to allocate those funds for him just in case he decides to sign the tag offer.

20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And don't forget his condition during the last two seasons the Steelers made the playoffs - injury, injury.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I believe it was $12 million which would have been $3 million higher than the next RB (Devonte Freeman).

22. BlacknGoldBlood

BlacknGoldBlood Active Member

Dec 19, 2017
    I love Bell and he is obviously the best back in the NFL right now. I don't think as a team you can price yourself out with a huge contract to a RB. One day they are there and the next they are on the sideline in street clothes. Its a position that typically (especially on the Steelers) sets up everything else so their number is called regularly and thats not a recipe for a long career usually. Give him a big contract with big incentives. If you show up for work you get paid. Unfortunately his is a position that deserves combat pay but does not get it.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It isn't just a bad investment because he is a running back. The suspensions for violating the substance abuse policy are a concern. More violations could lead to a lost season.

Also, he has already shown that he has trouble holding up physically for an entire season. I believe this would be the first if he can stay healthy through the playoffs. Those things get worse with age, not better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Doesn't he already make more than any RB,,SMH ,,TAG HIM!

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    14 million in 2018 would be a 2 million raise from 2017, apparently that isn't enough for him. His asking price will probably be in the 15-17 million range, good luck with that.