1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will this go down as the worst loss in Steelers History if we lose

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Real steel

Real steel Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I think it would be up there withe the Tebow and Chargers loss in 94

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know Real, I think our late season loss to the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1943 when we were the Phil-Pitt Steagles has to be the worst loss in our history. :shrug:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    AFC Championship loss to Chargers was an epic failure of astronomical proportions. The biggest waste of a Steelers team and season in their history. The Tebow loss pales in comparison, because the Steelers had several injured starters who did not play. The '94 Steelers were stacked. Good offense and Blitzburgh defense. No excuse to lose the Chargers, who in my opinion, were the worst team to ever make it to the Super Bowl.

A loss to the Jaguars who are out-manned by the Steelers everywhere except secondary and #2 RB... would also be a catastrophic waste, with all of the talent the Steelers have on offense. Still not as bad as '94 team who had 3 future HOF'ers on it... Greene, Woodson and Dawson.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Yeah that Charger game stands out for me toot
    The Bronco game was at Denver and with no RC among others was bad but not as bad as the Charger one or even as bad as SB 30

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Honestly, yes I think it would be the worst loss in Steelers playoff history. The 94 AFCC is really hard to top though. The 01 AFCC would also have to be pretty high on the list.

The Tebow game didn't bother me as much. We were so banged up. Ben was hobbled. People don't like to give Tebow any credit but he actually won a lot of games for the Broncos that year.

7. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    On a positive note, we'd probably be sitting here today with another Super Bowl loss. I don't think anybody was stopping the Niners that year. Steve Young was playing like a man possessed and was determined to get that monkey off his back. I would have liked to have had a crack at them though. You never know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Niners most likely would have won, but not in blowout fashion like they did vs. Chargers. Steelers would have made them sweat.

Final score prediction for Super Bowl XXIX if Steelers had played:

Steelers 27
    49ers 31

• Like Like x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm glad the internet was still in it's infancy back in January '95 and few people could afford it. You guys think Steel Reel is doom and gloom... I was in deep depression mode for weeks after that game. I think I lost about 15 lbs, didn't eat and was drunk for many days afterwards. Ah... to be in college again. Super Bowl XXIX is the only Super Bowl I didn't watch... since becoming a Steelers fan at age 7.

Super Bowl XXX was terrible, but Cowboys had more talent and deserved to win after O'Donnell's performance. I was pissed off, but it wasn't nearly as bad as loss to the Chargers the previous year.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The 1977 loss to the Broncos was really hard to watch, getting beat by a 38 year old Craig Morton on one leg while Bradshaw threw 3 picks.

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Chargers game still bugs me since in was in the Burgh but I find solace in the fact the Niners would have whipped our butts.

Tebow was a ***** since he is not an NFL QB and it was his one and only playoff win but it was at Denver and they had a strong defense.

12. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    As others have already mentioned, the Tim Tebow loss in my mind was the worse. I don't even like talking about it when someone brings it up.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would have liked to have found out. That defense was solid. Don't think a 49ers victory was a given.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah... I still remember the score: 34-21. I was 11. That one will be with me forever, as will the Chargers AFCCG loss and pretty much every loss to the Pats since 2001.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Somebody was listening to 93.7 The Fan when they started this post.

16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The loss to the Dolphins was pretty bad last year, Ben went down with an injury and they lost the next two if memory serves me correctly.

The loss to da Bearsssssss in 2009 was pretty bad. Stated a spiral of underwhelming play that year.

The win versus the Rams in 2007 was pretty bad because Fast Willie Parker broke his leg and there went the season.

The loss of the ball Mendehall was carrying was really bad because it halted the comeback. This is my worst.

The loss of O’Donnell’s vision when he completed three to the other team was really bad because they were the ******* *** **** *** Cowboys.

The loss to the Browns and Bengals to open 1989 were really bad. But I believed in Bubby and the loss in Denver was bad to end what could’ve been a great playoff run.

17. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I'm not seeing it when everyone keeps bringing up the 94 Chargers loss. Go back and look at that roster. That team had a decent defense and their offense was on par with the Steelers. They played the same style of football as the Steelers. They just made more plays that game. The Steelers were favored but no way were they heads and shoulders better then the Chargers. If anything that Chargers team didn't play up to their potential all season until they played the Steelers.

18. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I don’t know about that. The Jags have a really good defense. They also beat us pretty badly in Pittsburgh not to long ago. So saying this would be the worst lose in Steelers history is a bit much. I think it’s going to be close but we’ll pull it. Their going to come in with no pressure and a lot of motivation. Although we’ll have a lot of motivation to avenge that bad lose. I just don’t see them stopping all of our offensive players. On defense we need to stack the box and say Bortles beat us.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    It won't rank that high. The SD loss will still be worse. First of all, it was a conference championship game; you win you go to the big show. Secondly, we were pretty heavy favorites to the Chargers, as they were not supposed to have a prayer in beating us. Even if we win this one, we still have to probably beat NE at their place to advance to SB. So, no way would a loss here be comparable to the SD loss.

Now, the Denver loss would be comparable in that it is a div. round and it would be a loss to a QB who seemingly can't pass (even though we had a D game plan that was the only way Tebow could pass on us, which was awful). If we lose, it is up there with that loss, in my opinion. Either way, it will be a painful, bad playoff loss.

20. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    What do you mean if we lose? Haven’t you already determined that Real steel

21. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Are you kidding me? Rice and company would have killed Tim Mckyer! That dude was turrible ( and also the reason The Steelers didn’t get to the Super Bowl).

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Real steel is a legend.

It would suck to lose, the fans and the bandwagon fans who hate the Steelers have become pretty bad

23. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Ah the life of the party has arrived again.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

I remember that too. As a small child that loss really confused me. We'd won Super Bowls IX and X and I thought we were supposed to win the Super Bowl every year, lol. Sickened me to see the freaking Cowboys win it that year.

Edit: This would have been Super Bowl XII when the Cowboys beat the Broncos. Super Bowl XI the previous year had the Raiders defeating the Eagles.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  25. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Steeler fans do not say that name....ever. It is an unwritten rule that needs to be followed.

I was chasing women and drinking in '94 and wasn't watching football. If the loss to the Chargers was worse than loss to the Cowturds in the SB or any Cheatriots loss, I am glad I wasnt watching.