1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Just don’t see us getting by Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Bortles didn't throw well yesterday, but he has had a few good games throwing this year... can't overlook that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    I don't think you're the only one who doubts he can do it. It looks like Bortles doubts he can do it based on yesterday. He only ran because he was afraid to throw the ball downfield. If we can somehow get an early pick this game will be over before it starts.

3. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Keep a couple things in mind:
    1. The Jags lost their last two games to the Titans and 49ers.
    2. The Steelers lost to Miami badly last year and everyone said we couldn’t stop Ajay. We did
    3. We were not close to clicking during the first game, JUju and Bryant had not stepped up yet and Bell only got 11 carries.

I’m pretty certain the recipe is to draw Ramsey off with Brown and we will utilize the TE’s and run game, which Jacksonville does not defend well. SF ran all of very them. When the run works, we will see single coverage on Juju and Bryant. Don’t read into that mess yesterday, my god Tyrod missed 4 wide open guys 30 yardsdown the field. And McCoy actually ran the ball well.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  4. Iowasteelersfan784

Iowasteelersfan784 Active Member

Jan 6, 2018
    My gut feeling is this game will rest on Ben's arm. If Ben can get past the haunting of Jags past, he's going to have a field day. We've seen Ben shred good defenses before. Everyone is talking about how good their pass defense is. But what bothers me is how cocky they act due to it. I think when you become too cocky, you run the risk of playing to your hype and will make mistakes. If that online can contain their interior lineman and keep Ben clean and make accurate throws, we will succeed. And seeing how Buffalo ran in the A and B gaps, Bell should have success. That offensive line needs to have career days in both pass and run games.

5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Jags are really cocky lol

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree... there is no excuse to lose this game, if Steelers offense plays up to it's potential.

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Bell better run it 25-30 times this game. I think your better off beating the Jags on the ground. It will set up the pass.
    McCoy was getting some nice chunks against them and that was him with a hurt ankle.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That because they don't play the percentages. Third and 22 they will drop 7 into coverage with zones at 25 to not guvery up a long completion and LET'S either too close or too far so that a screen or draw picks up huge real estate, then panic, missed tackles and Boom 1st down. If they go heavy blitz the hot route or check down is short of the sticks because that takes time to develop and tackle the catch they'd have them. Play the numbers and it works more often than not.

9. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I think Ben just needs to leave his ego in the locker room. Make the throws he needs to, don't risk the risky throws. Run a balanced offense and beat those Jags.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think your Miami example demonstrates the importance of home vs away. Hot humid day in Florida, gimpy Ben playing against the wide 9 vs a cold snowy day in PA with records by Bell and Brown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Something to keep in mind based on what I saw this past weekend...

I saw a lot of key guys get KO shots that took them out of the game. Kelce, Taylor, Newton... It seems to me that some defenses are deciding to put bounties on players when they have the chance in these playoffs.

It has been easier than ever before... You get a guy woozy enough after a tackle, they will be taken out of the game, and kept out by medical staff.

Our players need to be careful and be aware.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You're missing my point. I'm saying that the Browns game was just the latest example of the problems they had the entire second half of the season. They can't stop they run and they were among the worst teams in the league in giving up long passing plays.

The lousy play by their safeties are the common issue. Mitchell and Davis constantly take terrible angles, turning short plays into big chunks, and Mitchell is constantly arriving late on double-teams.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I get your point just fine. As usual though, fan perception is skewed.

Steelers pass plays 20+ yards: 48
    Steelers pass plays 40+ yards: 13

To put that in perspective.

Jax pass plays 20+ yards: 40
    Jax pass plays 40+ yards: 12

Now lets look at that Steeler D that get gashed in the run.

Plays 20+ 10
    Plays 40+ 3

You're gnashing your teeth for nothing. They dont have a great rushing defense with 4.4 yards allowed per attempt but far from being as bad as you portray overall.

Steelers are the superior team and should win fairly easy, if the offense doesnt lay one of its classic eggs. Jax O simply cant keep up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Either way, the talking heads said he couldn’t be stopped, which was not the case. He went from 245 to 35 yards.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree, should be a heavy dose of Bell in running and passing game. Can you hear us Todd?

16. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd have been worried if you would have posted anything other than this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    and Bell better be really good. Dude has had about as much rest as you can get during the regular season lol

18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree but I think everyone on this board knows Ben just has to heave a few down the field. It is what he does. He has said so in numerous interviews. Drives me crazy but we all know it's going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Which means that the Jags have to defend the length of the field. Ben has been far more accurate the past several weeks, and he may hit one or two big ones, especially if the Jags play aggressive coverage. Brown beat Ramsey for a 40 yarder in the first matchup, and Ben is throwing much better now than he was back then.

20. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    If the Steelers don't beat the Jaguars, it does not matter if they deserve or don't deserve, they won't move on if the Jaguars win.:laughs::laughs::laughs::laughs:

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    So been reading some of the Jags forum. apparently they struggle vs mobile qbs and they feel they will feast on ben. We need to stop blakes runs as well.

22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    There is no reason we should loose to the Jag's this go around. It will be on Ben and how rusty he is, just hope he dosen't start out throwing high and not stepping into his throws. This is his tendency when off for a while. You would think with his time in the league that he and his coaches would know this by now and make any needed adjustments on the play calling. It won't take long to see if his long time off is going to be a problem. This is my only fear this week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Again, you are missing the point, as proven by the point that you used statistics for the entire season to argue a point I made about the second half of the season. The Steelers pass defense was very good the first half of the season, then the big plays started falling in at a high rate.

The Steelers hadn't given up any pass plays over 40 yards through five games. I believe it was only one through seven games. Pittsburgh's defense isn't close to what it was the first half of the season. Part of that was due to injuries to Haden and Shazier, but even Haden's return didn't fix everything.

The Steelers seem to be schematically selling out to stop one aspect of an opponent's offense, leaving themselves very vulnerable in other areas. Against the Texans, they sold out to stop Hopkins and couldn't stop the run. Overall, it was their best defensive performance of the second half, but they did get a gift with the Texans throwing at the goal line when it was still a game.

Against the Browns, they loaded up on the run and Kizer torched them.

If bad Bortles shows up, the Steelers should be fine, but that is not guaranteed.

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I didnt know garapolo was a mobile running QB, he had 3 yards rushing when he smoked their ass with 44 points.....

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

No, again, I get the point just fine. Problem is, the air is so thin up on that high horse of yours you cant think straight. Your point isnt difficult to grasp, its just wrong.

But keep fretting about the big bad Jags. Anyone who knows anything about football knows Steelers are a much better team.

• Agree Agree x 2