1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Just don’t see us getting by Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Jan 7, 2018.

1. kfender69

kfender69

Dec 15, 2014
    Then you load up against the run and make a bad quarterback beat you with his arm. I don't see Bortles beating the Steelers with his arm

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    With that display they sure didn't have enough swimmers ;)

3. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Agreed. Stop the run game and let Bortles try to beat you. Their last few games have been horrible. If the 49ers can conjure up a game plan to beat the Jags, I am sure we can do that too and hopefully much better. The Jags offense is not clicking and if not for a couple of turnovers, the Bills could have beat them today. Hopefully Ben doesn’t throw 5 picks. We should have this one.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    There you are!!!

We missed you!!!

:lolol:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You're back? Why?
    you should have had lasik surgery 'cause you don't see anything!

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    .... :hmm:

I guess green font would have been appropriate? Thought sarcasm was simple to deduce.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Just stop the run period. Bortles had about 90yards today, their leading rusher. If we aren’t run blitzing 75% of the time, something’s wrong.

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

His real team either got bounced from the playoffs or never made it to the post season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    I think we win but still I can see into the future and I will be saying how the hell is Bortles looking like Brady :facepalm:

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I think his real team plays next Saturday....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You might want to try the Browns message board. You'd be 100% correct all the time with your predictions.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed!

I feel much better now! :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    This isn't week 5 anymore. This is the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't know why Bortles didn't play well today. Maybe it was playoff jitters, the wind, or something else. He's shown that he can play well. I hope the Steelers don't make the mistake of underestimating the guy based on today's performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I disgree, run blitzing is what got them in trouble in the first game especially with that 90 yards where they thought 1 yard plunge for the first but once he broke free of the line no one back to stop him. They need everyone to play their responsibility string the runs out east to west and flow to the ball. If it ends up being Haden or Mitchell trying to get Fournette down at the edge that spells trouble.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Yeah but if he beats you once, please don't tempt fate ala the Tebow debacle. Then make the necessary adjustments... That was a putrid display of lack of a respect (not that it was earned) on a day where we've heard that every dog has one and he did and they refused to believe it until it was too late. Bortles has had some moments... However sparse they've been. D needs to make everything earned period. safety play is well worse than it was in Denver that night. Not too comfortable stacking the box and leaving Mitchell single high.

17. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    And that damn DB who I can never remember earning pick after pick off of Ben throughout his career... Matthis???

**** was ridiculous.

18. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I don't either... But we didn't see it happening in Denver a few years back either. Learn and Live.

19. kfender69

kfender69

Dec 15, 2014
    Bortles hasn't played well in 3 weeks, I don't think it was playoff jitters,I don't think he's very good

20. kfender69

kfender69

Dec 15, 2014
    Bortles threw 5 picks in the Jags last 2 regular season games as well

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Did you happen to see the graphic that was posted during the game showing that Bortles has the most turnovers in the NFL over the past 3 years? He’s a very inconsistent passer. If we don’t make stupid coverage errors (you hear me Burns and Davis?), we’ll be fine vs. the pass.

22. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    We should be... They sell out to stop the run and don't respect the threat or lack there of of the pass, then it could be a problem. Same theories going into this one that were expressed against Timmy... With ****tier safeties than we had then, and Bortles is a better QB than Timmy.

All I'll say is, we should handle Jax. If they want to stack the box and dare Bortles, so be it. If it backfires once, make the damn adjustments...

The D if they play their gaps and quit over pursuing would handle the run game with stacking the damn box.

Can't wait, hopefully our boys show up and put this team to bed... Come out healthy and go get who's next!

23. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    This. Solid gap discipline against the run with cover-3 behind it and we should be fine. Watt and Dupree to keep outside contain and limit Bortles scrambling. We should be favored by a TD or more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. quark12000

quark12000 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Frankly, if Tennessee wins, I really won't be biting my nails in this one.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The defensive game plan was fine in the first meeting. Jacksonville's offense only scored 16 points that day, and seven of those came on a 90-yard touchdown when the game was already out of reach.

The Steelers actually shut the run down for three quarters in October, then couldn't get a stop when they were trying to come back in the fourth.

The offense needs to start quickly and force the Jaguars to play from behind. That is when you see more mistakes from Bortles. Jacksonville is very tough playing with a lead. The Bills learned all about that today. (To be fair, the Bills are nowhere close to the Steelers offensively.)

We need to get past this idea that the Jags have regressed. The 49ers game was an aberration. Jacksonville has been outstanding on defense all season. They stumbled once early in the year against the Titans and again late in the season against the 49ers. You can't assume that is going to happen again. The Steelers need a sharp offensive performance, which is why I disagreed so strongly with sitting the starters against the Browns. It's going to be tough to be sharp after so long between games.