1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Timmons back next year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rambro, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Dolphins are going to cut him. Come on back Law!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    That would be awesome. Never should have let him go in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    It'll be hard for him to play with that giant fork in his back.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Yes. Timmons will be a great stop gap for a couple of years until a rookie develops. Didn't want to see him go knowing Shazier's injury history, but he wanted to get paid on his last big contact which was more than we could put out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No...2 more years older and the cement on his shoes got thicker. Draft a young fresh legs linebacker. Like what Timmon's brought to the Steelers but it would be going in reverse.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I always liked Timmons but, isn't there someone younger available?

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why? Vince is playing great.

Draft a speedy ILB to replace what they lost in Shazier.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I wouldNT go straight to great Blast, he is playing well above the line bit he and the whole ILB Corp reaaly, seem to have that problem of filling the first gap they see instead of staying mobile and flowing to the ball. If Jerry O could fix that I'd say great. That being said I wouldn't be against a veteran depth signing for cheap if only so they don't have 3 to fill 1 like they do now

9. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    At a vet minimum? Absolutely... He's a back-up / rotation guy who's a good tackler and knows the system as well as anyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If he will come back cheap, fine, but he doesn't address the lack of speed at the position.

11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    No..... Sign N. Bowman and draft an ILB rd 1 and Safety Rd 2!!!! RB rd 3 and Safety rd 4!!!

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Please no. Seriously just no! We need to get faster at the lb position, not slow down. Loved the guy, but it’s time to let him get on with his life after football.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Almost making a good argument to re-sign #92 after the Pats release him at year's end. :rolleyes: (sorry ran out of green ink at a critical time)

14. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, I want a guy who wants to be here and contribute for one, unless he's going to be a distraction and know his roll. I think both James and the Steelers handled this poorly. The Steelers should have been more up front with him strictly as a possible 3rd reserve player. He shouldn't have been the distraction he was while getting paid a lot of dough.

However, I can understand someone who has given so much and been such a big part of recent success to have their swansong being meaningful and then disappointed with their roll.

Trust me, I'm a bit stung that he went to the Pats and very on the fence about it all. I loved when Harrison came back after his time in Cincy and maybe we get the last few drops from Lawrence Timmons.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Id have to watch every game on the ALl 22 to see how much of that he was responsible for but he is 2nd in tackles with 89 and 2nd in sacks with 8. He's playing great IMO.

16. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I have always thought LT was underrated and not appreciated by Steeler fans overall.

And I thought he was solid his last season in Pgh. But....35 years old? Not crazy about that.

17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    LT was bad ass. They could sign him and he'd probably still be pretty effective with his tackle #s. Problem is he's a liability in space. He can't run like he used to and that's one of the reasons the money he wanted to re up wasn't coming in. Already got a handful of ILB's on the slow side and no safety help to cover it up.

18. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Think I read he is 31

19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He'll be 32 in May. But clearly on the decline.

20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You're already paying Vince starter money and they play the same position.

That's the problem with the Steelers defense over the last 10 years or so. You have this scheme that gets tailored to special talent at one position and when that talent isn't there you can't just plug a guy in and have it all work out.

Shazier, even if he didn't make the play, he disrupted it enough that the other guys could flow to the ball. Now, guys are trying to do what he did by shooting gaps or cheating and they don't have the ability to do it and get away with it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    gawd NO. VW98 is doing fine and a rookie will be a lot cheaper even when compared to the vet minimum. Loved LT94, but the time has passed.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm hearing that the Raiders will not sign Navarro Bowman. I think Bowman is a better linebacker than timmons. Bowman has had couple serious injuries the past several season, but I think he's more of a impact player than Timmons. They are about the same age. I like Bowman in the middle.

23. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Just imagine how good Deebo well be once Tom Brady's quack trainer gets his hands on him.

24. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Let me see...

• A seasoned vet.
    • 2nd stint with the Steelers.
    • In his high 30's
    • Bringing him back because of depth / need, someone injured
    • Promising him to play but having younger guys to develop...
    probably not gonna have a happy ending!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think that ship has sailed.