1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DOING SOME THINKING ON THIS POOR EXCUSE FOR FOOTBALL WEEKEND...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lewisha, Jan 4, 2018.

1. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    And if Ben does decide to retire, hope he decides quickly after we win the Super Bowl. Steelers could roll his money to Bell. And use the amount that Bell is getting to sign a mid level QB. Who does everyone think that is? Kennum, Bridgewater, McCarron, etc?

2. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    None. They draft one and roll out Landry for a while.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Ben is not paying back $19 mil. He will ride the contract out.

4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I don't know why, but I agree. I think Ben comes back no matter how the playoffs play out.

5. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    As long as Ben doesn’t get hurt in the next few games I feel he comes back, we franchise LB again and could make another run. If we win it all he could decide to ride off into the sunset

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    To me the best scenario is Ben wins 4. Even if he only wins 3, he’s still the greatest QB for the Steelers

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Keenum would be the best of the 3 (only one that’s really “proven” IMO). I’d be okay with McCarron, but don’t really see him as much of an upgrade on Landry Jones. At least not enough to justify the big difference in salary.

In all honesty Ben probably sticks around another year and then decides to retire. We will probably draft a first round QB in that scenario, make sure Bell is locked up long term, and then just straight start the rookie if they are close enough to ready. Lots of weapons and a quality OL... whoever it is should be fine. If not, Landry is good insurance.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Ben coming back will hinge on what happens with haley. Think that relationship has come to a head with him needing a buffer between him and Haley.

Earlier in the year I thought no way he was coming back but hes been enjoying a rejuvenation.

Also, whether Munch stays or goes can weigh in on his decision.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    If Roethlisberger retires after 2017, he’ll owe $12.4 million. If he retires after 2018, he’ll owe $6.2 million. That’s one of the basic realities of signing a five-year deal with a $31 million signing bonus. It’s not free money. It’s advance pay based on five years of service. If the guy retires before playing the full five years, the team can demand repayment.

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ...in all non-Super Bowl games. :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    This would be the worst thing possible IMO. Even with awesome weapons like Brown and Bell, this team would be at best a .500 team with Landry as the QB. I think the front office knows this. If the Steelers win the SB, I could see him hanging it up, even with that amount of money on the table. The Steelers use the freed up Ben money to lock up Bell and would go after a decent QB and plan for the future by drafting. I still think Alex Smith is a possibility, and I actually like. I think Smith, in the right system, could be pretty damn good and this team would be one of those situations.

Putting the team in Landry's hands would be giving up and this team has been built to win. The defense is getting better and better each year and should be good for a few more years before contracts rip it apart. The oline is one of the best and the WRs/RB is also among the best. You don't hand the keys to a SB contender to some chump like Landry.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Just saw this regarding Cousins

says his agent has been in contact with Pittsburgh. grain of salt and all but interesting gossip.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I'm sure his agent is in touch with all the contending teams in this league, I think the cards will go after him aggressively they need a confidence boost for their fans since palmer has retired and they want to keep their sellout streak intact, so I believe cousins will be a cardinal....

14. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    ^^^^Yeah, what this person said.^^^^

I also don't think that if you're a competitor you walk away when weighing all of those things.

You have the best WR in the game, the best RB in the game, one of the best o-lines in the game, and your defense is top 5 - PLUS, you have to write a check for double-digit millions!?!?!?!?!

If Ben walks away from that; something I don't EVER remember being afforded to any QB that I can remember, then maybe he's only a genius on the field of play. And I'm 99.9% of the time the person that asks, how much $$$ is enough? But, this situation is not something you turn your back on.

The moon and the stars have aligned for him and it's a disgrace to leave it. I would not only be disappointed in him, I would be very pissed. But, if he is stooopid enough then they must go out and get the best QB available and with all those things lined up we could possibly get the best available QB in the market and maybe even on the cheap because of those amazing realities. Best situation to walk into EVER.

Has anyone also read this stuff about the Pats and some type of bad blood or fued with Brady, Belecheat and Kraft?

15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    If Ben retired and left all that money on the table, what the heck would he do? Can't see him being another Romo, who I feel is doing a decent job. He could always buy a bar in the Burgh. His name alone would guarantee success. I believe he has young children, that alone should keep him playing for one more year.

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    landry is starter material imo. our defense will be stacked next year and landry is developing that elite poise. He DESTROYED the browns without brown and bell and a backup line. Ben only scored 14 earlier this year.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    But it was the Browns... And at home. In a meaningless game for both teams. That really has to be taken into consideration. I also wouldn't say he DESTROYED them, but I will concede the talent he was working with on offense must be considered too.

Like someone above basically said; would you give the Ferrari keys to an 18 year old driver or someone who's been driving for a while and already been in and hopefully learned from some fender benders?

I don't hate Landry, but he ain't winning us a super bowl. We have a very narrow window with this group of supporting elite Killer B's and it's foolish not to maximise it. If not Ben, then get thee best possible QB. We'll have plenty of years to re-tool after this crew breaks apart. Let Landry drive the car then...

• Like Like x 1
  18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think in the end Ben will be back even if we do win a Super Bowl or not.

Passing up $19 million is a lot of money. Plus he's playing well, has a good line etc.

But if he does retire. I would expect the Steelers to draft.

Cousins might command north of 20 million. With Bell need resigned. You can't bring them both aboard. Your going to get pay a rookie much less on a 4-5 year deal.

But, who knows.

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Landry is a top 5 QB imo, just let him unleash hell and he can show you what he has.

That moosetache made him powerful, once he grew it he became elite. I would put him on par with Flacco, and flacco went 11-0 in that SB run and is even better today.

20. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Look, I'm really not trying to be obtuse or argumentative, but from what evidence can you form an opinion of **TOP 5**!?!?!?!!!!

You are just toying with me here, right? I mean, the dude has only a handful of starts of the course of the years. Can't even say he's better than worst 5 starters for cryin out loud.

21. Diamond

May 26, 2012
  22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope Ben stays healthy and he stays .Hard to replace a guy like him, i had my doubts early this season , but he has showed he is still a very good QB .I still have hope that Dobbs can develop into a starting capable QB , but he will need more time to see if that is possible .

The best way for that to happen is behind Ben. If Ben does leave a new OC is a must IMO . This Team is a piece or 2 away from having a stellar defense .IMO LJ or Dobbs could be good game managers if the Defense could carry the load ?

A real FS and another Haden type CB could make this D very dangerous.

23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Alex Smith is going to be available next season!

24. Diamond

May 26, 2012

For someone like us 19M is a lot of money but the reality is ben has made 170 million so far so its not a big deal to him, its hard to imagine he would leave that amount of money on the table but he might think its worth it....

25. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If Haley leaves, Ben wont be back for 1yr with a new offensive cord.