1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pats

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers '08, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    So the Dolphins just showed us how to contend or beat the Pats. We need to play up on the receivers instead of playing 20yds off them. Who thinks Butler will actually try playing up on the line or be stubborn and play zone?

Also I think the Pats losing is a bad thing for us. Now they are going to try and right that wrong. Most of the time they do with a vengeance. I’m nervous about this game being a blowout and I don’t want to.

2. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    With respect, I don't get nervous about any game, and frankly, don't think any proper fan of the team should either. We go out, do our thing, and win or lose. Being nervous is just pining for a victory or title. If we deserve it, we win it. If not, we don't Simple as that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Steelers have been playing situational zone all season. However, make no mistake playing man to man isn't the wonder cure to beating the pats people are making it out to be. Also the dolphins game doesn't really have any bearing on our game. We have to contend with their full offensive arsenal while the dolphins didn't.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It won't be a blow out but probably will be a shootout.

The only thing that the Dolphins showed us is that they become very one dimensional when Gronk isn't suited up and then they can tee off on Brady. That won't be the case when we play them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Well Tomlin said hey have been working on man since the end of last year so we will see how it goes. I think they are going to unveil something new. Something NE hasn’t seen from them like LeBeau did in 12 I think was maybe 11.

6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm sticking by what I've been saying for a while...it's not about Brady this year. It's about our offense vs. their defense.

We don't have the pass rush that Miami had with a determined Suh. We don't have the backs to cover any of the Pats receivers without the pass rush. I doubt we're going to frustrate Brady even half as much as Miami did. Our only hope is that we don't give up chunk plays either over the top or after the catch. So...Brady is going to have a good day against us, no matter what we throw at him. We can't stop him. Therefor, he isn't the issue here.

The issue is whether or not we can keep pace with him. Our offense has been rounding into form the past few weeks. We've looked better but still left a lot of points on the field. If we minimize the mistakes, the pre-snap penalties, turnovers, etc., the drive killers, and we don't have to settle for FG's, then we have a chance to win. We're going to have to win a shootout. Brady isn't the issue here. Our offense is the issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

And the patriots have been working on beating man to man since training camp.

8. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You see how badly we're getting burnt in the secondary? Artie and Sensa aren't able to cover man-to-man. Unless Tomlin unveils new corners, you're not going to see anything you haven't seen already.

9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Been saying this forever. You have to play man. Gives your d-line that extra second and makes him make hard throws. He threw so many bad balls last night. If you fall back in zone all game, he's going to pick you apart. Not to mention with their keep everything in front/zone strategy. They still gave up huge plays; flee flicker and Hogan had some long touchdowns. Play man and make him make a perfect throws 15-30 yards down the field.

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I’m just saying the one time we changed it up Brady looked lost out there.

11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Nope.

Playing man doesn't do anything if you can't put pressure on him and disrupt his rhythm. Zone, man, box and one, infield shift to counter a pull hitter, it doesn't matter. Brady misfired because Miami's line got to him. He got rattled. His rhythm and timing were off. We can't do that. We won't be able to collapse the pocket and move him from his comfort spot quickly enough to disrupt his timing. He'll take 3 steps, plant, and fire. Our front four won't get a sniff. Hilton can blitz off the edge and won't come close. Our secondary won't hold up.

But none of that matters.

All that matters is the offense winning a shootout. We score more points, we win. Brady has nothing to do with the outcome because he's ready to put points on the board right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think it's very possible the pats fell victim to the dreaded "trap" game. Maybe they saw the Steelers offense obliterate the vaunted Ravens defense and overlooked the Dolphins worrying about the game in Pittsburgh.

I look for Bell to have a huge game.

13. SteelersUK

SteelersUK Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017
    The front line really has to step up and get some pressure. With Shaz out it limits VW to a degree but I’d give Vince more licence to blitz through the gaps in the middle and try and get at Brady.

Flashbacks of Hogan wide open from last year is a big worry though with how our secondary has been blowing coverages recently

14. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    In that case I am most definitely NOT a proper fan. I get nervous for every game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I thought I was a proper fan, but I get nervous before lots of games.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think we’ll see that with the OLBs dropping

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Man is the only reason he gets off rhythm. No team has beat him with zone. Jets, Ravens, Dolphins all do man.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is, frankly, a condescending and obnoxious statement. You’re calling the fan credentials of other fans into question if they get nervous? Obnoxious BS.

19. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That and it looked like the dolphins have a real secondary.

20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, and here I thought I got nervous about games sometimes because I am a fan. Guess I was mistaken.

21. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, for man to man to work, you have to have the right personnel. The Steelers tried it last time they played the Pats and it didn't work, so they gave up and switched back to zone.

22. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    It’s more just a saying than anything. I’m not actually nervous in general. I absolutely believe we can beat the Pats but our past doesn’t support it. Especially with the way our defense has played in the last couple weeks. Sunday we shall see and hopefully Butler will mix it up.

23. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They have or had guys who could do man ..we don't. We can't even do woman coverage nevermind man.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What's more important getting the monkey off their back or getting a SB win?

I want to see the Pats beat so much it is no even funny but at the end of the day a SB trip would be sweeter. Don't get me wrong I would love to see them lose to the Steelers twice and not have to hear the whining excuses of the Pats fan base about not having to face them or they weren't at their best but all that pales in comparison to getting 7 and sending the boys out as Champs

25. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    "They were playing a lot of cover-1 with a robber in the middle of the field," wide receiver Danny Amendola said. "That takes the middle of the field away and gives them a free guy in the middle of the field, and you have to find a way to beat it."

With Gronk back that will solve some of their issues. And they’ll definately work on that this week.