1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead (no comics spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    lol, just a complaint, I still look forward to the show each week :lolol:

[​IMG]

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok, that type of focus on zombies - the cure for the zombie diesease and restoration of civilization - could be a good track. That track could actually take a few seasons. The helo that we saw Sunday night could be a start in that direction.

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Looks like we won't be watching tonights show until tomorrow...at least I won't. Oh well not a whole lot of talk about it here anyways...lol!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, Steelers always come before TWD.....or any other show for that matter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Well, I was wrong.

They announced who the crossover character is going to be - but not what the timeline involved would be.

A character from the main show will be going over to FTWD. And that character is....

Morgan!

Morgan??? Huh?

I don't recall if he had an explicit backstory, but it seemed like he was in GA when everything went down. And I'm fairly certain FTWD is within a timeline now where Rick has been awake for some time. How close in time? Unsure. But much too close for Morgan to still be somewhere in the Southwest.

Add to that that Lenny James made the comment about how he was going to miss the crew of TWD, and it sounded like he was leaving the main show. Or not. They were sketchy on that.

If Morgan is going to leave our company in Alexandria and head west, then FTWD is about to take a major time leap. If it involves Morgan's past, then the show is WAY behind in time - much, much farther back than we ever realized.

[edit] According to the Wiki page's timeline, FTWD's last episode occurred on day 64 of the ZA. According to TWD's timeline, Rick met Morgan on day 60. S this cannot be happening before the first TWD show, or they just messed up the space-time continuim. :lolol:

And Morgan does not appear to have left GA between Episode 1 and Rick meeting him again in "Clear." After "Clear," Morgan ran into the cheese maker. So he doesn't seem to have left GA at any time. And it makes zero sense for him to have left GA to travel west, only to turn around and go back to GA in the span of a few months.
    [edit]

Then again...

If the show follows the comics, there'll be a 3 year time jump after All Out War is over. I suppose they could have Morgan leave - show his adventures with the other show - and still have him on the main show after returning.

But Lenny James is confirmed to be a part of the cast of FTWD now. He's in Austin filming as we speak. Now I'm really curious.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  6. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    So I have avoided FTWD as I heard the first few shows were boring. Has it picked up since? Is it a worth while watch?

7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Last season was its best season. But it isn't like the bar was very high to begin with. Still, they corrected a few of their problems over the last season and a half (specifically by eliminating dead weight in characters who just flat out sucked. Note: I said characters. Not actors. It wasn't an acting problem, it was a poorly written problem). And most of the characters who remained had improvements made - with one odd exception in a character who was annoying at best to start. Slowly became decent overall, only to regress at the end of last season slightly. But that could just have been for plot purposes. :shrug:

The other problem the show had was it didn't have an identity. The powers that be couldn't find firm ground in an overall theme or structure. It was more of a "throw anything at the wall and see what sticks." Couple that with their trying to show the early days of the zombie breakout, and you had dull or annoying characters acting extremely clueless. Coming from watching TWD, which has its feet firmly planted for better or worse, and it was frustrating at times. It still had its moments, but some viewers lost patience with it early.

Last season, they finally found their feet. The overall story was more believable - at least within a show about a zombie apocalypse. And it ended in a way that was pretty much the show runners throwing the deck in the air - allowing them to reset and start a story over in a way. We established the characters, but the past doesn't tie them down. Not sure if that makes sense, but it will. Which is why Morgan joining the show has me puzzled. Are they going to jump 2 years - give or take - into the future? They would almost have to, because there's zero believable circumstance which could have us see Morgan otherwise. It just doesn't work in timeline nor character. And if they do have a time jump, that cures some of their last problems and allows the show to stand on the same feet as TWD in terms of characters being in the same kind of environment... not feeling clueless because they're still learning how to adapt to a world gone mad.

Last season, the show's head writer confirmed that the season 3 finale took place within the universe's timeline on the exact same day as TWD's season 1 finale. If that tells you how far behind the times the show was. Showing the early days could have been a compelling idea - they just couldn't pull it off in a satisfying way.

I had a crackpot theory about the ultimate purpose of the show and who these characters would ultimately become. Granted, the theory has its flaws. And I'm not sure if I'd like it should it actually be true. But if we DO get an earlier version of Morgan as in 2 years ago during his lost time, that theory gets a little more likely.Even if, as I've said, Morgan's being there at that time makes no sense at all.

8. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I don't have much patience for addicts that keep F-ing up forever and ever and we are supposed to feel bad for them. That was one (of many) things that made me stop watching it. Also, it never made you really care about ANY of the characters - the sign of a bad show/movie. I could care less if anyone of them dies.

9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    3 seasons of the show have only covered about 2 months time. I agree with having little patience with junkies. But when you take the time into account, it's understandable why he isn't completely clean yet. Without treatment, it's a long road. Hell, it's a long road with treatment.

Daniel, Strand and believe it or not, Alicia are all characters easily latched onto now. Madison too to a point. But her problem is that her character is becoming somewhat unlikable. I think that's intentional. She's becoming a wholly amoral, "ends justify the means" type person. Some may find that off putting.

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I actually cheered when a couple of them did. ;)

Then one did recently I actually felt bad about. Not for the character, but who they left behind.

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I didn’t even get through season 1 of FTWD. The characters sucked so bad that they spoiled the glory of a zombie apocalypse.

12. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm pretty sure I know who you're referring to, and I agree. Wasn't sad to see the character go, but it sucked for who had to suffer for it.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I am not gonna lie the only reason I started watching it was cause I thought it was going to have to do with TWD. In the commercial it talked about "long before Rick woke up" so I was thinking there was a connection. Me and the boy started watching it and he didn't last long, I kept going not sure why cause it was pretty crappy. I made it thru season 1 and wasn't sure I was gonna watch anymore, but the DVR was set and it recorded it and I watched. It did get better so now I watch every week, the boy walked in on day and said...."your sill watching that?"

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I started...left it for a bit tis summer...binge watched to catch up, then stopped again because I got tired of Madison and her family. Not the ones I wanted the show to focus on.

15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I caught up with the past couple of episodes this weekend... ugh. The storytelling continues to frustrate me with it's random directions, inconsistencies, and improbabilities behind events that the the creative team seems to want us to ignore just so they can get to a desired result. And this after a respectable episode centered on Negan a few weeks ago.

Random grumblings:

- I think the show is doing terribly with Negan. They basically had him show up for a couple of "shocker" episodes when first introduced, and have since seemed to crutch on his reputation from the comics. For those of us that didn't read them, he's for the most part disappeared. Smoke and mirrors, little substance. I've brought this up before, but again, it's no knock against JDM's portrayal - he hasn't been given much to work with. This is one of the arch villains and story arcs of the story, and creative is just winking at it.

- What sense does the entire interlude between Rick and the garbage people make? Rick goes there threatening them with annihilation if they don't agree to help him (after they've already betrayed him previously). They say no and throw him in a trailer bin for a day. Then try to kill him by walker (again). Rick gets upper hand (again). Garbage followers could've easily taken him out by gun but don't (again). Jadis agrees to help Rick for a quarter of the Saviors' supplies, and Rick buys it (again?).

- A couple of characters (Michonne and Rosita) up and leaving a safe zone (Alexandria) for no logical reason. How many times are we going to have to watch members play out this scenario?

- Michonne and Rosita then just happening to stumble on the two saviors rigging a truck with speakers for the walker horde. The terrible A-team outtake-level CGI when Rosita blew the one up with the RPG. Daryl showing up out of nowhere with the garbage truck to stop the other as she was driving off.

- I know many like him, but I find Eugene annoying. I can't understand what he's saying half the time due to his mumbling.

- With the over-the-top spinelessness with which he's played, who on the Hilltop ever nominated Gregory as a leader?

- Apparently a group of walkers can't take out Sadiq and a knocked-on-his-ass Carl, but can take down a fully grown tiger.

- Rick's voice over on the status of the war a couple of weeks ago - why were different groups shown reading what appeared to be letters as he was talking, did we get a mailman somewhere in the offseason?

I hate noticing stuff like this, but the show has just gotten so splintered with its narrative that this is what I find myself seeing. The current creative group, IMO, needs to go. Bleh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011

I'm still watching the show, and for the most part (most part), I like a lot of the characters. But in addition to what I said before about the intensity just kind of fizzing out, everything you wrote is a good summary of what has made it harder to look forward to TWD on a regular basis like I used to.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Agree with this just about word for word, one thing you pointed out that really needs to be said again is the fact that a group of people who haven't read the comics are a little lost. Welcome to "debbie downerville" lmao!!!!!

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with the intensity fizzing out over the past few episodes. I think that the past few episodes have been all about building up to next Sunday’s mid season finale. It’s basically been promised that Sunday’s episode will blow up the internet. From Rick’s reaction arriving at the factory and the previews, it looks pretty clear that some bad JuJu is headed in the direction of the Alexandrians. We’re long past due for another major character death, so perhaps we’ll see one or two bite the dust. In all out war, there are going to be casualties, right? I just hope we don’t get stuck with another “who died?” cliffhanger.

I am looking forward to it. The past couple of episodes have been snoozers, but I think mayhem is around the corner swinging a spiked bat.

19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Like this bad JuJu?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I like what you did there.....lol

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Been holding my tongue for a while unsure if the spoilers were true. The mechanism of his departure was murky (multiple stories), but the end result was just about set in stone.

According to sources, he wanted off the show for several understandable reasons. Rather than recast him, they did this. Considering that if they follow the comics, there'll be a 3 year time jump, I don't know why they couldn't recast him, but here we are. Shame. He had a lot of story when the Whisperers show up. Guess we're going a different way.

(Edit) And now they're saying that it was a writing decision and he never asked to leave. Ugh. (edit)

Did I make that vague enough not to spoil just yet? ;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I'm surprised they killed him off, but like the way it was done. I guess that should probably say killing him off since he's not dead yet, but the outcome is inevitable. Guess I'll have to wait a day or two to say anything more than that.

24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I guess I’ll beat NY to the Debbie Downer award this week. I didn’t like it much. I think some of the events over the final 20 minutes or so saved it from being an intolerable return to eating savior :poopy: that would have lost me for good. I was expecting a lot more from the mid season finale, but it was almost predictable scene by scene until the last few minutes. Call me a downer, but I was never even close to being on the edge of my seat, and even caught myself picking up my iPad to multitask while watching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    What I want to know is, how in the hell did Rick manage to get back into Alexandria without anyone noticing?

• Agree Agree x 1