1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shazier update

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Dec 5, 2017.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe, maybe not. A good friend of mine had a tree fall on her car while driving. It almost killed her. She is unable to drive without severe anxiety. A co-worker of mine was stabbed in the neck by an inmate at work. It almost killed him. He has returned to work and apparently doesn't have any anxiety about it.

Anxiety hits everyone different.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Apparently she’s not writing an article on this topic. However, she is on the steelrsdepot podcast posted today.

3. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Agreed, could not have said it any better.

1. Health

2. Football

I will back up any decision Shazier makes, it is his life. If he wants to retire and be around his family, great, hope he finds great joy in his next chapter of life. If he decides to play again, hopefully he learns from what he did, and can get back to the level he was at. Regardless, I back him up 100%. He is a GREAT player and has done so much for the city. Just have this be a lesson to any young players out there, HEAD UP!

This is the time for the Steelers to get even closer as a family and win the Super Bowl for their BROTHER.

Band of Brothers.

SHALIEVE

4. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I was going to start another thread for this, but there are already plenty of Shazier-related threads.

I think everyone should take the time to read this Twitter thread from Sean Conboy, employee of the Players Tribune, then read Ryan Shazier's Players Tribune article called "Bruh" afterwards if you haven't already:

This is really great stuff, kind've emotional, too. Definitely worth the read and just shows how great of a human being Mr. Shazier is.

Hope you all enjoy!

• Like Like x 3
  5. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Definitely worth a read, everyone. Check it out.

Nice idea to post it here.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The mere fact that they are hinting about resumption of football in 6 months is encouraging for me. Even if it doesn’t happen it still means there’s high probability of him living a normal life. Hope I’m right.

7. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    The players are lobbying for an all Shazier Renegade for the game Sunday night. How sweet would that be?!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Just read it and all it does is make me root harder to see that bald head out on the field again one day......

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Would you guys want to jump back into a violent sport like this if you nearly lost the use of your legs?

Would make me think twice. Actually scratch that, nfw would I get on the field again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Great read. Thanks for posting that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
  12. 65Toss-Power-Trap

65Toss-Power-Trap Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2017
    FOR RYAN.

THE SEASON IS NOW DEDICATED TO RYAN DEAN SHAZIER.

SHALIEVE.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That's a tough question. Hard for me to say what I'd do.

Who knows what Shazier will decide if given the choice.
    I know these guys get used to a lifestyle that the money provides. Also they love the game.
    As a fan I hope he returns to the field. Which also means he's healthy and can resume a good life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Shazier is one of my favorite current Steelers I have been watching for over 45 years.

Get well my friend. I had back fusion surgery 8 years ago, 2 rods 6 screws. Now granted I am not

nor ever was a world class athlete like Ryan. but I was able to go back to work in 3 months. and knock on wood

and live a productive life, yes there are good and bad days. Without surgery I would have been a dope addict.

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I believe it was Laron Landry who I heard a couple radio guys talking about who had a similar situation he had spinal fusion surgery and returned to play. Similar position safety and basically the same physicality needed to play the position . I know everyone's injury is different and we don't know everything about what happened to Ryan but there is precedence and hope for Ryan,,,,

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The greatest thing this team could do for ryan would be to get him a ring for him to cherish for life, whether he plays again or not with a ring he reached the pinnacle of professional football, something he can always be proud of...

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

OMG......now that would be out right awesome!!!!!!!!:beg:

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    So is Shazier not on IR? I wonder what that is about?

I wonder if that is some symbolic gesture, kind of like when Aaron Smith went down?

19. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Losing Shazier is a giant hit for the football side. I just do not know how the steelers can recover from that if they play a top 3 QB. They were already having problems with him. I just do not know.

20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Apparently, the team didn’t feel the need to bring anyone up from the practice squad, especially since that guy would just be a game-day inactive anyway.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Maybe they think he can play again this season?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Didn't they say recovery from the stabilization surgery would be 4-6 months and that his season is over?

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I heard that somewhere too. The thing is we've heard very little official information. Most of the stuff is speculation or opinions.
    It is curious that he's not been placed on IR. The notion that they're somehow trying to not hurt his feelings by placing him on IR doesn't make sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Maybe a mental thing, maybe they want to keep RS in the positive mind, but I find it hard to believe that is possible. I mean Ryan has been on social media and since he has access he has to be reading the same stuff as us no?

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with this. Until something is communicated officially, we really don't know what his status is. I believe that players receive their full game checks on IR, so I don't think it's about money.