1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time to protect the team legally?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by We need a change, Dec 6, 2017.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

First off you don’t know if the man pictured is mentally ill or not. Maybe things have changed since I went to bed, but a medical diagnosis isn’t formed from a photo. Additionally there has only been one personal attack in this thread. That was your childish attempt insulting my mother. With that out of the way let’s get down to brass tacks. As you stated your opinion is there is bias against the Steelers. In my opinion you are paranoid. From looking at other responses in this thread I’m not alone in that opinion.

2. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I write football opinions, not opinions about people on the blog. Time to move on

3. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I don't think for a second this was about bias against the Steelers, although I can understand why you may think that. This was about image. The NFL is under a lot of scrutiny right now for it's brutal take on sports. JuJu's hit was highlighted on every sports show (many thanks to Gruden for spotlighting it.) The league had do something to "show" that it wants to protect its players. Unfair or not, this was about the NFL's bottom line and nothing else. JuJu was the unfortunate scape goat here. And the NFL can get away with this because technically JuJu was wrong and the NFL has the discretion to determine what is a suspendable offence no matter how uneven its enforcement is on the matter.

4. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I agree with everything you say here, however, there is not excuse in my opinion for reducing the Bengals players suspension. My pint wasn’t whether or not Juju was wrong, is was about how some are punished and some are not. Julio Jones did the same thing Sunday and was not disciplined. Additionally, if the NFL is truly concerned about image, then why put this game on Monday night televised nationally? They have fanned the flames of this match up since the playoff game two years ago. Steven A. From ESPN who televised this game stated on Tuesday that he is giving Juju his condolences now for the game next year when Burfict gets him back. That’s fanning the flames and the game will most likely be on Sunday or Monday night. Your opinion is well taken and I do agree with it. I started this thread to talk football and see what others though about things.

5. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I'm WEARING that thing if it can pick up games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Slightly related but not getting much play is Boswell is upset about the offside call and thinks the league needs stiffer penalties where guys are clearly off sides and looking to take out the holder. He says it is at least the 2nd time in the last year it has happened to him and he saw it in at least one other game he was not in this season.

I know after it happened it was my biggest concern on the winning kick was that when he flinched Boz kicked his hand with the ball. Last thing you want there is numb hands.

7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Boswell said he thought it was intentional. At this point I’m not sure anything is off limits for the bengals coaching staff.

8. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I'm not much of a conspiracy guy, but it's very apparent that Goodell and his cronies go after those who openly oppose him.

Steelers are the only team to vote against the CBA.

Deebo said he wouldn't urinate on him if he were on fire in that magazine article.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So what I get from this thread is our front office and the players union have no say in this matter or they do not have the balls to do anything about it. So now we think this forum is going to solve the problem. I suggest writing to the Steelers front office and plead our case and see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I can't see any legal recourse. The players (except the Steelers) ratified a CBA that gives the league the autonomy to do whatever they want to whomever they please pretty much with impunity.

11. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I agree with you on your point. I think the thing to accomplish by a legal action is the put the issues into the open and let folks see how the league is not fair to all players and easy on certain teams. This past Sunday Julio Jones committed the same foul. Nothing was called and it was not addressed by the league. Then, just by the luck of the draw, Mr. Blank approved Goodell’s contract after fighting Jerry to approve it. And it just so happens the Falcons have a must win game tonight against the Saints. Hey, it may be nothing, but man it seems weird. Again, the only thing to accomplish is to get public support. The sports shows are all but saying Juju got treated unfairly already, a legal action would generate comparison videos all over the media outlets.

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. There's a reason Tom Brady and Zeke gave up on their legal challenges, because they realized they couldn't win. Where a CBA is present, the judge will refer to the CBA, and the current CBA gives Goodell the authority to do whatever he wants with regards to discipline. It doesn't need to be reasonable, fair, etc. The courts are not going to side with the players with the current CBA in place.

There's nothing the Steelers can do. Besides, I don't think we're anywhere near the target that some think we are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    "
    To steal a quote from my favorite book (and used by one of my favorite bands):

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you."

14. BadwordLebeau

BadwordLebeau Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    JuJu got suspended because Gruden went on a 5 minute rant . He used his platform on an over the top take that he himself probably paid a handsome bounty to his players on a similar block. He was so virulent on his conviction that the league had no option imo. I knew suspension was coming 10 seconds into that hypocrite’s soapbox.

What’s wrong with the NFL? It’s the media. I long for the days of the likes of Dandy Don Meredith or Pat Summerall drinking beer in the booth and just talking about the game and laughing. It used to be fun.

15. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I'm not in favor of action in the courts. But the point wouldn't be to win the case; it'd be to put more negative light on NFL headquarters and how they're running the league. That's what Goodell and Co. have shown will push them into action.

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Or at least push the suspension back a couple of weeks. Drop the legal appeal in time to sit out against the Texans or Browns.

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I hope you people that think the league is out to

Y'all do realize that if(IF) it were true the league was acting with some sort of malicious bias towards the Steelers taking them to court would only excarbate the problem? You're talking about taking them to court over something you can't prove and then expecting them not to retaliate down the road. Of course you'll probably want to take them to court again over something you still can't prove and the cycle repeats itself.

18. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Dude.....NO!!!!!!

19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The Steelers are doing what they should do, taking the punishment and moving on. With Shazier's unfortunate injury and everything that is on the table, this team surely doesn't need anymore unwanted attention. Their attention needs to be focused on improvement and winning football games. Besides, I'm sort of old school in that I don't want the organization labeled as whiners like the Cowboy's and Patriot's where the moniker is well earned.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This. The players gave up lots of rights in the last CBA. They have no one to blame but themselves, and I assume they got something they wanted (more $$$?) in exchange for this level of power from the commish's office.

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Essentially they got more money. Part of the deal was eliminating two a day practices and limiting the number of in season full contact practices. In a nutshell it was done to prolong their careers thus making more money. It also capped rookie contracts. Veterans didn't like the fact draft picks were making absurd amounts of money before ever putting on pads. Don't get me wrong they still make absurd amounts of money for playing a game. There's just a maximum now whereas before a rookie number one overall could pretty much ask for the moon and get it.

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    So, a pictre goes up showing a guy wearing Cam Newton's new hat and you assume the hat model is mentally disturbed?? Not very PC!

23. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I agree the NFL is a joke and it’s because of Roger Goodell. He’s the worst commissioner I ever seen. I mean he wants life time insurance for his whole family and life time use of the company jet. Are you kidding me! It’s like you make $40 million a year buy your own insurance and jet. Talk about being pampered.

Plus the whole being the judge, jury, and executioner. The players don’t stand a chance if he doesn’t want them to. WAY to much power for one person, but they just reupped his contract. Why now I don’t know?

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    It's bizarre to me that the majority of owners have no problem with Goodell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The simple answer, like it is with nearly everything else, is to follow the money. If the owners weren't making the profits they think they should, Goodell would have been outta there faster than feces through a goose.