1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shazier update

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They said it'll take 4 to 6 months of therapy before they know about his career.

2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    This tomlinthis.gif

• Like Like x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I sure do and I am not talking about what we saw this week when he came in. It is kinda funny how you want to point out things they were also doing when Shazier was in there. The knock on TM has always been his speed but he was a tackling machine in college and a very tough smart player. Is he Shazier hell no but if the kid wasn't just thrown in and given some prep he will be serviceable. Also let me ask a question if calling the D is so easy why wasn't one of the other starting LB's doing it instead of the back up special teamer?

4. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I don't know what to think some of the reports (and lack of more) sounds bad but we are still keeping his roster spot right now
    to me that means the team probably doesn't have any better idea than the rest of us

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I will miss him if this is the end of his story. A great player indeed. Wish him all the best.

Should this not be the end for him, Pittsburgh, as insensitive as this may sound, do have to consider a possible "replacement" in 2018 for sure.

Either way, from us at TheSteelersFans to you Mr. Ryan Dean Shaizer,

Good luck and Godspeed.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The media members who are speculating or leaking inside information are assholes, but then we already knew this about them because they are mouthpieces of the NFL. It is sort of required to do that job (see: Schefter, Adam).

I really hope Shazier is able to have a normal life and I hope that if his career is over he somehow is able to get his full contract value although I doubt that is how things work.

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I understand the Hippa laws, but suppose Shazier had full range of motion in all extremities, they'd almost certainly (with his permission) announce that good news to the public. That they haven't done this so far, isn't encouraging.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Perhaps he has zero interest in discussing anything with the media right now. The guy just had surgery, give him a break.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Like most, I'm more worried about his health. I hope he lives a normal life again, but I disagree with those who say they don't care if he plays again. I not only want to see him walk again, but his football career also matters to me. I want to see him play again, not just for his sake, but also mine, as a a fan of a team that is better with him than without him. Doesn't mean I value football over his health, but like I said previously, I can care about more than one thing at a time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SteelersUK

SteelersUK Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Agreed. It would be a great shame to see such a promising talent not able to fulfill his promise, after life long hard work to get where he has today, and beyond.

However, positive news that he won’t be physically denied the right to do all the things that he should as father/husband/son is the most important thing

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Even if he has full motion, he could have pain and sciatica for a very long time...not something he could just push through.

12. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    this whole situation is sad. And there is no way of really grasping it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 65Toss-Power-Trap

65Toss-Power-Trap Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2017
    One day at a time. Two fronts: 1. Ryans' health, which is number one above all. 2. The team must go on, and now must win the Super Bowl for Ryan. All players must elevate their play, and I've seen this happen time after time after a tragedy. We must now become "that team".

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
  15. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    It sucks because he just tackled incorrectly. I can't even imagine how frustrating it has to be. He didn't get hit or anything... he tackled wrong.

Prayers up for my dude. Incredible player.

16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Thank you for posting this cause I feel the same exact way just wasn't sure how to post it. I want nothing but the best to Ryan and if he can never play for us again but leads a normal life than that is fine. However I am rooting like heck to see him again on a football field in a Steeler uniform. If it weren't for the Steelers I wouldn't know who the heck Ryan was.

So I hope to keep reading RS keeps improving and I pray that #1 and most importantly he can get back to a normal life and #2 we see him again on our team. Heal up Ryan prayers and thoughts to you during this time of need.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm one of the ones that said that playing football is my last concern for Shazier, and I still feel that way. However, that doesn't mean I don't care about him playing football again. I'm rooting as hard as anyone can that he'll be back on the field as soon as possible, but it's not nearly as important as his health for the future of his life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree, he will be missed if this is the end of his career. Just hope he's able to walk and have a normal life and I'm optimistic that will happen.

Freakish athlete on the field and a good guy off the field. We need guys like that. Unfortunately, Ryan developed some bad tackling habits along the way and had a knack for leading with the crown of his helmet. If you're doing that on a regular basis in the NFL, you're probably going to have a shorter career than you might otherwise.

At any rate, we'll continue our prayers and certainly wish him the best!

19. sec108

sec108 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I pray the Ryan is able to walk and walks away from football for his long term health

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hopefully he can just have a normal life, to walk again. I personally don't care if he plays another down in which is the early prognosis. Life is bigger then this game and I wish him the best and appreciate what he brought to this team if he can't put the cleats on again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is the direction I'm leaning towards too. Yeah, hurts the team but I think the risk is too great for him to end up permanently paralyzed if he try's playing again.

It was such a little nothing tackle, not sure he would even want to attempt playing again. You think your invincible until you find out you're not.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if he is able to return to playing, this will stick in the back of his mind and he may never be the same player again. get well young man is the first order of business. :cool:

23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't disagree with this at all. I don't want to have to hold my breath every time he makes a hard tackle.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don't think we know enough to say he should or shouldn't play again?

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Is the risk greater for him than any other player, assuming he can return to football? We don't even really know his exact condition yet so I don't think anyone on here can be sure of what his injury risk would be if he can return.