1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Moats to start at ilb

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Dec 7, 2017.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    According to Kaboly via twitter.

I guess this makes the most sense. Hard to imagine Spence is already up to speed. Hopefully moats is up to the task at hand. I guess that all but guarantees a spot for Harrison as well.

2. SteelTruck

SteelTruck Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I wonder who will be calling the plays. They were in disarray most of the night after Shazier went out. It's hard to believe they only gave up 20. I think the weather had a lot to do with that. Hopefully with an additional week of practice with Moats as the first team ILB, they'll be tighter this week. The Rats have been looking much better on offense lately, so the Steeler D will need to bring their A game.

3. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

He’s been in the system so long I would think he would be able to do it. Although that begs the question if moats can change positions and take over playcalling why not let the guy that’s been playing ilb all season take over?

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Moats was an ILB in college right? Did he play there for the Bills and did we move him outside? I know when Moats first came here he shined pretty good at first and the faded out. Not sure what this says about Fort and I am thinking it is hard to let Spence get on the field this quick after signing him.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    TJ was listed as limited with a knee injury today as well so that would add more to the Harrison getting some reps theory as well

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I hope he's 100% better than he is at OLB

7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Because of the coaching changes in Buffalo I believe he went from outside to inside and didnt shine in either but was serviceable. It's my hope that he is more stable at ILB than Shazier and VW because the Ravens like the cut back run game so you need patience and solid tackling out of your ILB .

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So that got me wondering and I looked him up and found this:

In the Bills 3-4 defensive scheme, he moved from defensive end to inside linebacker, which is an unusual position change considering most defensive ends move to outside linebacker in 3-4 defensive schemes. After several weeks of failing to generate a consistent pass rush, Bills head coach Chan Gailey decided to move Moats to his more natural position of outside linebacker to utilize his pass rushing skill set.

Also kinda cool found this in his first year with us back in 14:

In Week 9, Moats collected three combined tackles, sacked Raven's quarterback Joe Flacco, and forced a fumble as Pittsburgh defeated the Baltimore Ravens 43-23

9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Well I already see how the Patriots beat us. Shazier is in coverage a lot. Hoping they are saving the Watt to ILB and Harrison on the outside for the Patriots game to maybe catch them off guard? :shrug: I really think Watt could do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Spence is here primarily to replace Matakevich on special teams
    I read that Vince will be calling the plays this week

rather see James inside on run downs and TJ stay outside

11. 65Toss-Power-Trap

65Toss-Power-Trap Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Vince Williams will call the defense.

This is a GREAT move. It keeps 44 on the sidelines where he can't hurt us.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I feel like you have a point you're trying to make but I'm still not getting it. Please continue your one man hate parade, I'll inflate Snoopy and join you later

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Is that stud MLB from Iowa coming out in 2018?

14. 65Toss-Power-Trap

65Toss-Power-Trap Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Sean Spence is an upgrade. I love the signing.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know if I like Moats starting after practicing in our D for just 1 week. I'd rather Fort, who has been an ILB the entire time, to get the most PT on Sunday.

Of the two, who is going to make the least mistakes in run fits?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'll believe you when I see it on the field
    we are going into week 14 and Spence was watching games from his couch

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure if he was going to be such a huge upgrade over one of the people on the roster he would have been signed after being released from the colts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Joey Jewell? It is likely.

Either Roquan Smith, Josh Allen (Kentucky), or possibly Malik Jefferson assuming all other options are gone when and where we pick would be my choices.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    big step back if moats goes inside. coverage will be a concern as well as stopping the run. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Of course that is a problem. Moats can't do what Shazier does. Nobody on that team can. There are very few, if any, inside linebackers in the NFL who can match his athleticism.

That said, I think Moats is going to be the better option the rest of the way than Matakevich, Spence or Forte.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Well that's the problem. I don't think they like James in coverage and you can't really do that especially against the Patriots because they will catch on.

23. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    This will be a close game like most of the Steelers/Ravens games. I placed 1 more bet with Vegas taking the Ravens and the 7 points. Ideally, the Steelers win by less than 7 and the Steelers get the win and I win the bet. Giving the 7 points is just too hard to walk away from.

24. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I think we are going to see a lot of 4-3 sub packages.

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not sure what you mean, there is a big step backwards if anyone not named Shazier is in this spot. With what we have to work with right now Moats is the best choice and when I say best choice it isn't like any pro bowlers are sitting waiting for us to sign em.... Some interesting words:

Moats moved frequently between inside and outside linebacker after the Buffalo Bills took him in the sixth round of the 2010 draft, but has worked exclusively on the outside since signing with Pittsburgh in 2014. That changed this week, when the coaches called him on Tuesday and told him to get ready to move inside.

"If you're a linebacker on this team you should know what everybody on the field is doing every defense," defensive coordinator Keith Butler said.

"The reason (Moats) has stayed around as long as he has is because he does know that. Knowing it and doing it are two different things. We hope he can help us."

Something Moats has done regularly when called on. He rolled up 11½ sacks from 2014-16 before taking on a lesser role this season behind Bud Dupree and rookie T.J. Watt.

Though he lacks Shazier's elite speed — Moats joked he runs a 4.3 40-yard dash like Shazier but it's "wind-aided" — at 246 pounds he has the size to be effective against the run and the institutional knowledge so that being forced into the lineup so quickly shouldn't be an issue.

"Ever since my situation in Buffalo where I would switch positions sometimes in the middle of the year from inside to outside, whether it's 4-3 or 3-4, I've always been aware of what's going on at the position and helps me understand defenses in general."