1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shazier update

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I guess Shay had Spinal Cord Stabilization surgery last night.

2. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Looks like they put some kind of device in his lumbar section that will keep the vertebrae decompressed

3. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It sounds to me like they preformed a surgery to stabilize his spine, with, I can only assume, screws, rods and the like. Hopefully this was done to help his healing process after the swelling went down? We need a surgeon on this board. I wish they had given a little more information.

4. SteelTruck

SteelTruck Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I had a fear when they stopped giving updates that some complication arose. That appears to be the case since they initially said no surgery would be required...though they qualified that statement with 'at this time'.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    According to some google stuff I'm reading it sounds like a better option than fusing vertebrae and preserves mobility . Less invasive than fusing as well

6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
  7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    The fact they won't say how much movement he has and now needing surgery. I doubt he ever plays again and that's fine, I just hope he can walk again and live a normal life.

• Agree Agree x 10
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It was a nice run but self inflicting headshot might of ended his career. Our defense suffers tremendously obviously, but he is but a man, and I just wish him the best.

9. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Yeah, definitely a less invasive procedure and a quicker recovery than in the past. Let's hope this is all good news.

10. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I imagine that the swelling took longer to recede that what was originally thought, thereafter further scans and MRI's revealed the actual damage thus the surgery. Him being airlifted yesterday as opposed to flying in a regular plane with normal air cabin pressure was very telling.
    Can't see him playing football again but my hope is that he is able to walk and function without limitation or discomfort.
    #Prayersfor50

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We're in the dark too much to be making assumptions.

Just going to keep praying for the best until they fill us in.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
  13. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
  14. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  15. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Those are pretty bold statements, considering he doesn't know exactly what the situation is. From what I've read, the surgery can be performed for a number of reasons.

And I think we all assumed Shazier would not be playing again this season, so that's not exactly earth shattering.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I had two-level spinal fusion (neck) surgery this summer. It was rougher than I expected. My neurosurgeon expects full return to activities (including high impact) within about a year. Who knows the specifics for Ryan, but I am really hoping for him to recover fully.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Amen!!

18. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

There's a doctor that writes the occasional article over on Steelersdepot. I'm sure she will chime in sooner or later with an article explaining as much as possible without actually being one of the attending physicians. Don't get me wrong she won't make any prognosis. Just this is why these things are done. Maybe how etc.

20. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    They initially said it would take at least 24-48 hours for the swelling to go down and they can do an accurate evaluation. He had stabilization surgery today to sure up the area of the injury. As for whether the information being released or not is the Steelers or the NFL, the answer is neither. It is first up to Ryan, HIPPA rules protect the release of patient information. Iā€™m sure they all want to make sure what comes out is accurate and does not need changed. I share the feeling that outlook is not Rosie, but he is under great care and he will likely spend the next several months rehabing the injury. He will probably have to make some serious decisions about future play given the seriousness of this injury. I just hope he recovers and is able to regain all movement.

21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This sucks. Hope Shazier can play again. If not, I hope he can live life normally without any issues from the spinal injury.

Damn... looks like Steelers will be drafting ILB in the first round. That sucks. :frown: :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes, Melanie Friedlander; she's quite helpful. Here is what she had to say about the Alessi comment:

[​IMG] Melanie Friedlanderā€@Girlsurgeon 20m20 minutes ago

Melanie Friedlander Retweeted Michele Steele

This is the kind of speculation that makes me cringe. Dr. Alessi hasn't examined Ryan, seen his reports and Xrays, or received info about the surgical findings as far as I can tell.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Those were my thoughts on the Dr and thought it was irresponsible and insensitive for Steele to write it.

It's all about being the first to break a scoop. Nothing else matters.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Most all of us said we would be content with him living a healthy normal life again, and that was it, football could be over. I think that is what we are looking at, so, so be it.

I think there is a good chance he will walk and live a healthy life; I doubt if he will ever play again.

So, one more time, especially for the youth: See what you are tackling. Never use the crown of your helmet to tackle. Had RS had his head up, this would not have happened.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Until it comes from the Steelers and Steelers doctors don't believe anything.

Not all medical cases and procedures are the same from one to the next, let alone a doctor that isn't even working on the case, and is purely guessing from other case experiences. Could they be right? Sure. Could they be wrong. Absolutely.

• Agree Agree x 1