1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Iloka's suspension changed to a fine - JuJu still suspended.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wreck, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh NFL you are a confusing carnival ride.

2. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
  3. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    NFL's declaration of Player Safety being Paramount is Dead! Taunting is the obvious winner. Image over safety

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Why were appeals of schuster and gronk heard by James thrash while the Iloka appeal was heard by Derrick Brooks? Is the reasoning behind not lifting juju’s simply the taunting?

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Honestly. :frustrated:

I suppose I'm not surprised. Jon Gruden didn't think it was 'disgusting' and I didn't see several sensationalized headlines like I did with JuJu's hit. Public outcry FTW I guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    The worst part is, Iloka's supposed explanation was completely bunk. He was trying to lodge the ball loose? Then why exactly do you purposefully dip your helmet into the other player's head? What about going for the ball you're trying to dislodge?

The only way this makes sense is because of JuJu's taunting. Which is BS. And we all know Burfict wasn't hurt that bad since he tried to grab and twist JuJu's ankle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That's where I would put my money. The Iloka hit didn't have the same unsportsman-like "je ne sais quoi"... it was a reasonable attempt to dislodge the ball... be honest now... how many of you would have cheered if the same thing had been done to AJ Green? How many of you *have* cheered when Ryan Clark delivered the "clark bar"? i still hold that, if there was no taunting, it would have not been judged to be "egregious"

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I wonder how long before one of these players sue another player?
    I Gronks situation, how long before someone files criminal charges for assault?

9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I read the notice of suspension and the taunt was mentioned. His hit was so close to being clean, but the extracurricular stuff pisses me off. I cheered like a madman when Clark leveled that raven and I’ve probably done similar hundreds of times in the past. However, there’s really no denying the effects of repeated concussions. The league has to do something or the NFL will probably cease to exist. If things kept going the way they were the NFL would have been sued to oblivion.

10. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    But the hit was on Burfict. He has a brain problem anyway. For all we know, JuJu probably helped him. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Kinda ironic that players are suing the NFL for concussions that they themselves caused?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    So tired of hearing the taunt played in to it. Taunting is about the lowest fine on the NFLs fine schedule so clearly they don’t really care about it. 9K for your first offense.

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    But the NFL favors the Steelers

14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Sort of. The problem stems from the fact the league knew about the problems and hid them.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  15. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Not only did Burfict grab at Juju's leg, I heard he immediately jumped off the cart as soon as they were out of sight in the tunnel.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The taunt was definitely the deciding factor, it was in the statement that the NFL put out.

Still total bs, his first offense, should be a fine.

NFL is a joke letting Iloka off.

18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Taunting doesn't cause concussions...... this is so bizarre. Iloka left his feet and launched at AB's head before AB had even established himself on the ground..... all points of a defenseless player. But there's really no precedence on suspensions for first time offenses, so all I see is a league utterly confused.

So in JuJu's defense, he's been called for the following penalties.... the only Personal Foul/Unsportsmanlike were in the cincy game... Not hardly a track record for violence. I would consider it a bit different if it was a vet player that's been here through multiple seasons of rough cincy games.

Offensive Holding (3), Unnecessary Roughness (1), Taunting (1), Illegal Block Above the Waist (1), False Start (1)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    That's exactly what I've been wondering.

20. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It appears so.
    Finally the NFL did something right regarding discipline, and then they go a screw that up. I think skipping the fines and going straight to suspension for both was the right thing to do with these two teams. That sends the message that, regarding the games between these two teams, there will be zero tolerance of any funny stuff. And here was the perfect set up....each team commits an egregious foul, and each player takes a game. Fair and point made. Now they've sent the message that borderline hits are secondary to taunting, which is the equivalent of a nasty cheap shot out of bounds and after the whistle that puts a guy in concussion protocol.

It is truly amazing that the NFL is a popular and as wealthy as it is with these people running it. Truly incompetent dopes.

21. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I see it as more of the combo of the two is the problem - the hit alone or the taunt alone is not worthy of a suspension. Add both of them together, and suddenly it's 'intent to injure'.

22. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    NFL's Troy Vincent says taunting was NOT a factor in decision to suspend Smith-Schuster. "It was the act of" the hit that drew penalty.

The more they 'explain', the less it makes sense. Total gong show.

• Agree Agree x 5
  24. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    “Taunting was never considered, at least from our office,” Vincent said. “It was the act of hitting Vontaze Burfict in the head area. The taunting was not considered.

So that theory is out the window.

25. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously though. What passes for justice in the NFL is the biggest joke around.