1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Juju's suspension upheld

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Dec 5, 2017.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Will miss game against raven's

2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Shoulder to shoulder and no taunting

Hmmmm

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think his helmet hits him right in the facemask. So taunting is why he was suspended? Ill keep that in mind watching games the rest of the season...LOL

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The league is a joke. These decisions are laughable. Despite all of the prior evidence against levying a suspension. They don’t care about consistency and their appeal process is even more of a joke.

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    :bscow:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    juju should take the Zeke route and file and injunction in the courts. There are no less than 1,000 videos out there of helmet to helmet hits that were waived off. Compare Kiko Alonzo’s hit to Juju’s and take it to a court. What does Alonzo and Gronk have in common that Juju and George don’t? The NFL reminds me of the judicial system in the US.

8. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the combination of the hit and the taunt gives them grounds. Given the nature of the game/history I think the league was within it's rights to do it. Not judging it relative to other incidents but on it's own "merits"....

The kid should not have taunted.

Also, i'm glad it came down quickly... much rather he be suspended for this game and be around for the pats. I just hope gronk appeals and it gets dragged out :-D

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Gronkowski's appeal was denied today, too.

And no, the taunting did not give the league grounds. The league hasn't suspended player for taunting and there are plenty of hits worse than what Smith-Schuster did that don't draw a suspension, especially for a first-time offender.This is all about finding a scapegoat for a game that gave the league bad publicity. Somebody from each team had to get a suspension, so the league ignored precedent to suspend Smith-Schuster.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is basically it.

The game was full of ill-feeling, just like these match-ups always are. It was raining, so the passing game (remember, folks, this is why people watch the game, according to the NFL) was inconsistent and generally sloppy on both sides. All in all, the game was just plain ugly, and for a primetime game, that was embarrassing for the league.

Trying to be as objective as possible, I'd say that a fine was entirely justifiable. But a suspension is heavy-handed, and seems to be wrapped up in the negative attention the game is receiving.

11. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    The NFL is such a joke. This is getting so old and honestly, out of control. The league needs to answer for its actions and stop blaming others -- ESPECIALLY A FREAKING 21-year-old.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    absolutely no balance in the way penalties are called and fines are levied in this league. it's really a joke that the refs can dictate games this way. :cool:

13. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Hopefully he keeps blocking like he has. This could ruin his game.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    No surprise here. Nice to see they gave it due consideration.

"I'll be appealin.."

"Appeal denied".

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Merrill Hoge was on DVE this morning explaining all 3 hits, the rules, the reasoning for the rules and the reason why all 3 are 1 game suspensions. His explanation of the rules was more than I could memorize, but when he was done he said the suspensions were correct. He knows more than I do so I'll take his word.

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This has nothing to do with the rules or particulars of the hit. This was a message to the Bengals and Steelers to get it under control. They were never going to lift it it

17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Which makes you wonder why they keep airing Thursday Night Football ...

18. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    As much as a like catching the TNF game occasionally, I think it's bad for the overall product and player safety ( :beathorse: )

19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Juju was wrong. I think the league saw the INTENT to hurt or injure another player. It went way beyond a block. Juju emphasized that by standing over him. Juju was in a similar situation later in the game. As a result of what happened after the hit on Burfict, Juju didn't deliver the same aggression on the block/hit. He didn't need a full force hit to deliver an effective block

The league is trying to limit and take away the bone crushing hits. No one wants to see players injured, paralyzed, or possibly killed as a result of those hits.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So then why lift Ilokas suspension? League doesnt care about player safety, they care about their brand, image is all that matters to them.

A guy standing over a player that he just crushed looks bad for them now. A decade ago that hit would have been glorified, packaged and used to sell their product.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    For me this boils down to intent vs non intent.

The plays were completely different. The Ilokas play was a bang bang play that happened quickly. I believe Ilokas intent was different than Juju's intent.

Juju didn't need to hit Burfict the way he did. On top of a blindside hit Juju taunted which enhanced the idea of intent. He could had delivered a much less vicious hit/block on Burfict. Similar to the hit he delivered later in the game.

The league is a different place today than it was a decade ago.

The NFL legal system is broken just like the American legal system. The best way to avoid the punishments of both systems is to try and not get caught up into being judged.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope JuJu keeps delivering those punishing blocks. The moment a player starts thinking about holding up, they give their opponent a chance to make a play. Like Jackson not pushing Bell out of bounds as he danced by for a TD.

If JuJu doesnt taunt, that might not have even been called a penalty and no way its a suspension.

The taunt got him in trouble.

23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Disagree Iloka had the intent to separate the ball from brown by leveling him he knew it would be a violent hit and potentially to the head, he did it anyway.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Or steps away slightly and faces the crowd

25. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I guess Julio jones’ hit the head and subsequent muscle flex didn’t hurt the Vikings player he hit. I’m not saying Juju wasn’t wrong, he was but it has to be equal treatment.