1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Put them back in leather helmets!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Dec 5, 2017.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    take the weapon away from them and these hits will stop with a quickness. Open face leather helmets

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That's not a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Got a better idea? Clearly the message isn't getting through

4. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    "Well, it might be a good idea to put dresses on all of them"

- Jack Lambert

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Different era and for the most part there weren’t the headshots you see today. They weren’t as big or as fast as players today either. Lambert would destroy people but most of the time it was with a perfect form tackles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    One of the problems with this theory is that the helmets are vitally important for protecting them when they go up in the air and end up landing headfirst into the ground, or when they land on their backs and the head whiplashes into the ground.

Take away the helmets and you'll lose some of the amazing athletic plays which may the game so much fun to watch

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't think that would last very long.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Right. You may fix one problem,but create several others.

10. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I don’t think the OP was serious...

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I hope not cause that was a dumb idea

12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Part 1 of the problem is plain tackling fundamentals being swept under the rug... Part 2 is the league's anti defense stand where they keep shrinking the strike zone for an acceptable hit... Part 3, is and always will remain as the folks in charge of calling penalties are human and make errors in eyeball judgement and a lot of things aren't reviewable. If they were allowed to review more things, it'd still be imperfect as here we all sit not being able to agree on what the hell is going on in any given video evidence "some" of the time.
    Part 4 of the problem is we grew up as did the majority of these players currently with the league hyped obsession of blowing people up... Only to have it yanked the other way recently. Hard to tame trained beasts with un level punishments and ever changing definitions of whatever a league rule is aside from its black n white definition by an opinion regardless of who's spouting it. Part 6 is that depending on how many folks feel inclined to declare thumb war on their Twitter devices the league seems to lose its mind with a small group of folks screaming foul and knee jerks another asinine reaction to things that aren't really any different from the other 15 games played prior that weekend.

If JuJu has to ride the pine because he gloated over his kill for a couple secs, then treat every similar incident the same. People are getting smashed and "taunted" every F'n play in every game... Some more shock n awe than others for sure, but everyone of em is debatable and defendable all the same... Yet only a couple incidents every other couple of weeks (per this seasons trend) is being magnified, and not being so fairly in any imagination.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Actually, if you look at rugby, a lot less head trauma and concussions due to no or very little head protection. The problem is, that all current players and future players from pee wee and up wear those big helmets and have no regard for protecting their head/ keeping it out of danger. And as the players grow and get bigger/ faster/ stronger, no one teaches them good technique. You would have to take the current Pee Wee teams and start them helmetless and teach them safely, and when they reach high school, nationwide no helmet policy. But that will never happen.

14. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It's not the helmets its the bad technique, that's what makes this incident with Shazier so frustrating. It was self inflicted and I know that comment is harsh but man I have seen the replay and when you know it's coming you just cringe as he rams the receiver with his head down. It happens fast sure but Ryan had time to size him up square up and make the tackle driving head first is insanely dangerous.

It was mentioned above that Jack Lambert mostly tackled with perfect form. Square up, hips down, head up, wrap up and drive through. Tackling is becoming a lost art, now its guys crashing into one another expecting to knock the ball carrier down with nothing but a collision.

I pray he regains his health and if he is fortunate enough to play again I hope he corrects his technique.

• Agree Agree x 3