1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TODD HALEY OUCH!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by THREE RIVER SHIVER, Nov 12, 2017.

1. MaineSteelerFan

MaineSteelerFan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Wow, just wow man ignorance just oozes out of your posts lol - 7-2 team, and lets just fire everyone

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I work with three I can't stand especially my boss.
    How do you respond to them?

3. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Just a little worry no complaining.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Wasn't that AB who threw that interception in the end zone a couple years ago against NE?

5. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    “Shut the f*** up and do the f***ing work!”

6. MaineSteelerFan

Oct 31, 2017
    Fair enough.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    my dislike for Fichtner is not just about this season and Ben's old age. I've felt this way for awhile. Obviously it's very hard if not impossible for fan's to critique a position coach as we have no idea what they do. He's been QB coach since 2010 and I really haven't seen Ben's performance improve dramatically except when the playcalling changed with Haley's arrival and the sacks decreased. And how much of Ben's improvement over the years is just due to experience?

He had a lot of success in college as an OC so maybe playcalling is more his strength, but he seems like just a place holder for the QB position coach. And if Ben is such a hard head as you claim and is really running the show then maybe Fichtner is a pushover and doesn't set a hard line. And if the FO or HC just hired a "yes" man for Ben then like I said he is just a placeholder.

So how has he done with Landry Jones? That improvement has been glacially slow. Either way, I hope a new QB coach is in place if we take a QB with our first rounder in 2018. There really are no stats that can directly point to a QB coach's performance, it is a very difficult position to play. I'm just going off a hunch.

8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They're a pretender 7-2 ..The cheats would hammer this team the way theyre playing

9. MaineSteelerFan

Oct 31, 2017
    What are you talking about? No such thing as "pretenders" in todays NFL. Do you even watch Football other than Steeler games?

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Actually, no. And I'm not here to defend the guy's honor, but want to offer some perspective, since i brought him up.

He didn't officially talk to Alabama until January, AFTER the Dolphins' last game of the season. He quit on no one.

His first year's tag line was about Hurricane Katrina, not football. It was a distracted team that didn't start off well, going 3-7 over the first 10. Then they won their last 6. Winning season without star power.

Second season was a disappointment, exclamated by choosing Culpepper over Brees. Terrible decision in hindsight. But he didn't leave the team. He coached every game that season. Was he talking to Alabama before the season ended? Likely.

But here's why he is a very good example to use. He worked with a team not steeped in talent and made them competitive. He beat the Pats both seasons. But he realized he wasn't the right man for the job and went where he could be wildly successful. He could have stuck it out and floundered. But he didn't.

He went where he could be wildly successful. There can't be fault in that. And guess what? He took a team that was underperforming and turned them around.

He took a team that was underperforming and turned them around. They are now the gold standard. The Steelers should be the gold standard. But someone is holding them back. My vote is for the man who is in charge and ultimately responsible for the success, or failure, of the team.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Exactly. I want a QB coach who actually played QB. Tomlin holds onto assistants way too long.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Its such a complex position, technique wise and mentally. I would liken it to a goaltending coach. I wouldn't some guy jumping from coaching defenseman for one team then goaltenders for another etc. But I may be more picky.

I agree, I'd rather have a QB coach who played or has taught nothing but QBs. Fichtner played DB in college and has coached WRs a lot too. I'm sure he's well versed in the schemes and play design etc with his OC background, but as for the nuances of the QB position? I have no way of knowing.

13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well Saben wasnt successful in the NFL. So....

And Tomlin has 2 SB rings. One as an assistent and one as a HC.

I wish people would stop believing in "playing down to the level of opponents" at the professional level. Every team has the talent to compete in the pros.

14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So you're saying a team ranked last In the red zone has a chance to get by the Cheats?

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And you keep your job?

16. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Listen to the pros (those who actually played on Sundays) on any radio or tv show and they all talk about it. They all say we play down to the level of our opponents. They use those exact words. That's not something a fringe section of fans say. It's fact. Just because you don't want to believe it doesnt make it fantasy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. MaineSteelerFan

Oct 31, 2017
    If they play like they did the second half of the colts game - than hell yah! Unlike you, I look at the bigger picture - pull your head out of your butt and start watching other games other than just the Steelers, and you will see the inconsistencies of this years NFL are not just with the Steelers.

18. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’m self-employed.
    Company size: 1.

;)

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I got told this very same thing at work two weeks ago albeit in a slightly nicer way.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Experienced pros with brains know the competition can beat them.
    Very little separates teams from a talent perspective around the league. Some Steelers fans believe the Steelers are far and away more talented than the competiton. That isnt the case.

What factor or factors constitute playing down to the level of the competition in your mind?

• Like Like x 1
  21. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I could be saying the same thing to you, the 7-2 NFC teams are playing much better than the Steelers. They're the contenders , not the 3 legged donkey Steelers who are just barely winning.

22. MaineSteelerFan

Oct 31, 2017
    Disagree with you completely, on just about everything you say on this forum. First off Steelers are not in the NFC, so thats a stupid comparison right know. Everyone knows the AFC is much more competitive this year than the NFC, and if you watch or read espn and other sports networks you would know this. I'm wasting my time with you anyway, because I personally believe I'm dealing with someone who just does not understand football that well, and a person that needs to get the last word so rant on dude, I'm done with you.

23. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

You're missing the point of course Pitts aren't in the nfc..in order to win the sb they'll have to defeat a nfc team..good luck with that the nfc is much stronger. ESPN can say what they want you'll find out in Feb

24. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Pointless debating anything with you....pretty sure you are TOM BRADY!....

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Just put the idiot on ignore.. Much more peaceful. does not happen very often but sometimes around here you just have to put them on ignore

• Agree Agree x 1