1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The last drive...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dobbler-33, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Perhaps they’re using the deep threat to get the defenders to cheat back, softening the box for Bell...

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Good question Blast and I will be more than happy to give my opinion. I feel each game is different so I will use the Colt game as an example. I would not have done it on the 2nd play, my plan would have been come out get Ben in rhythm with quick passes to Bell, AB, Juju and MB. Use the run game as well then after it looks like we are satisfied with moving the ball a few series than bang up top.

I am all in favor of the deep ball that is not what I am saying, I am saying the way this team has played so far a little less of that and a little more of what seams to work. Like I said we have the talent surrounding Ben use it, get some points on the board and weaken the D so when Ben does go up top it is wide open.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I hear what your sayin and I am not gonna disagree with you. However are we gonna.......let the inmates run the prison......yeah I know I shouldn't have went there, lol. Anyways I feel this is where Tomlin needs to step in and say listen you two work together cause this obviously isn't working the way it is going. Jmo, but these are two grown me and at the end of the day we all want the same thing. Maybe someone above Tomlin needs to step in, to be honest I may be a homer on this but I really can't see a team beating us when we play our game!!!!

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Love the first thought, the no huddle is a great weapon we need more of it. However the whole seeing Connor more is fine but not before we get this offense rolling. Bell will lead the way not Connor, lots of people want to see this kid and I do as well but Bell is the guy who must lead the way. jmo

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Typically I am totally against the players ruling the asylum but in this case I'm willing to try something a little desperate. At this point if he hasn't by now Tomlin isn't stepping up to say anything...in fact it is being said that he over ruled Haley as well on the play....which is fine by me,he's the HC he should put his fingerprints on the team more often because in the end success or failure falls on his shoulders. IMO their differences are hurting the team and a trip to the booth should be the least of the solution.PTHITBI

6. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’m no NFL quarterback, but I’d guess quick slants are more timing-based and harder to throw if not yet in a rhythm.

7. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Just to dog pile on this a bit.... use the run game / short pass / long ball to open up the other aspects.... sure if the run is working great... ride that horse but using the reverse or bubble screen to set up the long ball? Not so much :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I get what your saying I just don't like the HC siding with the player over his coach. I feel Tomlin needs to step in and say you guys don't have to like each other but you better find a way to make it work better on the field. jmo.

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

The thing is go back and look at the games this year, when Ben is on it is all been with the short quick passing game.

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Bell is leading the league in rushing, something must be working there no? AB is the leader in receiving yards so bubble screens and reverses should be able to set up the long ball. I really believe the timing of our play calling is off not the plays. The skill we have on offense is just plan out right scary, I have no problem throwing them short screens and letting our guys do their stuff. jmo

11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He’s also leading the NFL in attempts. The problem is, his yards per carry are down - 3.8. If it were better, than he would have more first downs and more splash plays.

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not hard to hit a slant route and definitely doesn't take being in a rhythm. Not that I'm an NFL QB, but I have played the position (although never at a high level). The reality is that a slant route is a slant route regardless of the level. With that said, the levels I play at don't have the levels of defence that the NFL does. I could see how a slant vs a zone defence would be more difficult than vs a man defence. Vs man, you're going to hit the WR as he breaks. Vs zone, you're kind of throwing to a spot and anticipating your WR will be there. There is more timing to that, but it still should be an easy throw, whether early in a game or late. These are professionals who practice together constantly, they don't need to get in a rhythm.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    And I'm sure he would be if Ben was playing better and if the Oline was playing better. That doesn't mean Bell is playing as good as he should be, but it shows that it's a true team sport. If the Oline doesn't play well, the RB and QB suffer. If the QB doesn't play well, the Oline will look bad and the RB will probably struggle. If the RB sucks, the QB will be under more pressure because the defence will be playing the pass.

Bell has looked extremely explosive at times this year and still barely cracked 4 ypc. So I don't think he's the issue

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What are the stats as far as where Ben is throwing, we all have seen him trying to air it out with no success and miss wide open guys 15 yards down field. Go back to last year and watch the 2nd half of the Raven game and the first half of the Dolphin play off game. This is the offense that is unstoppable and I feel would be the way to get Ben back on track. The short dink and dunk will work, heck look at the last drive this week vs the Colts. JMO

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Blast, last night was a good example of when I would like to see them go deep. I thought they did a good job mixing it up, no?

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Because it worked :lolol:

If they completed a bomb for a TD on the second pass play, is it bad?

I dont really have a problem when they go deep. Just execute and complete them when you do try it.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

No... other than the 41 yard td which was not by design it was a free play due to offsides which one worked? Yes of course we(me) aren't gonna complain when they work but I like the way they worked it in yesterday. It also helps when Ben throws it a lot better and it isn't easy pickens for the D.

You said you weren't calling me out and I am just trying to give you an example of my feelings from the Colt game. This week was a pretty good example of how we didn't imo have to go right to a deep ball.:smiley1:

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But if it works, you have Montana and Rice.