1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Could Haley's job be in trouble...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 13, 2017.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    If this offense continues to play like it has the rest of the season or even going into December with this horrific red zone efficiency could Tomlin make a change before the playoffs. I doubt it happens but I think it's a fair question and point to bring up. This offense has not scored 30 points yet this season and I'm really not expecting them too anytime soon I'm just not. I think Haley and his playcalling is a big reason for this offense still struggling. And it worries me a lot going into the playoffs when they have to face a team like the Patriots.

If im Tomlin I seriously consider making a change by December if things don't start improving these next 2-3 weeks. The Steelers I feel cannot beat the Patriots the way this offense has been playing now and all season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
  3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It's hard to say..
    How close was his father to Ownership?

I always unfortunately believed that he would be next HC after Tomlin. Only because of past relationships.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Before the playoffs? No. Could this be his final year in Pittsburgh? Absolutely.

As for our lack of success in the redzone it has been a problem for Ben’s entire career. It’s definitely not just a Haley thing. With that being said the offense is the problem with this team. The defense has done it’s job over the course of the entiree season while the offense has struggled repeatedly.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Changing OCs mid season is a huge risk, regardless of the context.

I think there would have had to have been some serious stuff building up behind the scenes for that trigger to get pulled.

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    They aren't going to change coordinators during the season.

Once your past the mid point of the season it's a point of no return.

I'm not so sure they wouldn't entertain bringing a new 0-coordinator, should Ben hang it up.

7. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Guys, Tomlin does not make coordinated decisions. The Rooneys do. They barely bother to feign on the matter, but the do just a little. Haley's hiring was pure Rooney. And the decision to go another direction would be as well, and that ain't gonna happen this season. He obviously sucks, Ben has saved his reputation. On his own Haley is a terrible play caller - always has been. Dead last in red zone scoring with a OL full of pro ballers, and pro ballers at QB, WR and RB. And we suck that bad. No excuse.

8. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    My biggest question is why we went away from the short quick passing game that we were running two years ago and the beginning of last season. Ben was really good at it and we were able to score.

I think Bell is very good, but I don’t think our offense is very good when Bell is the main feature. Honestly, it seemed like we scored more when we ran the offense that we did when Williams was starting, noting here that Williams was not better than Bell, but he was not the main feature.

Lack of passing to TEs and running backs (Bells catches are way down) are a huge problem, and unfortunately that is on Haley. Ultimately, I just think that the coaches are trying to force Bell to be more than he is capable of being. I would take Bettie or even Willie Parker pre-broken leg over Bell because they scored.

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    There's a long answer and a short answer.......short answer Ben.

Long answer Tomlin and Ben fell in love with "splash plays" they lost faith that our O could sustain long drives without mistakes or penalties boggling us down....they figured the more space our playmakers have the more plays they can make. It used to be effective....teams have adjusted....we have not.
    We used to move freely between the 20s only to be bitten by the RZ bug......now we struggle for entire quarters and halves just to get there and we continue to be bitten. RZ success depends on creativity and execution,both things we struggle with consistently.. Even though we have struggled in the RZ with both approaches at least it kept our D fresh possessing the ball on O. Now with our struggles on O overall it is putting a lot of pressure on our D and we have seen them being worn down in a few of our games.
    Teams have been using 2 deep safeties and doubling AB for at least a couple years now....NE pretty much showed the blueprint and other teams have followed suit. A adjustment is long overdue we have seen glimpses of the short passing game but not enough to make teams adjust to stop it. I don't know if we will ever see it used as a strategy again.....at least while Ben is still here. PTHITBI.

10. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I would fire Ben before Haley. Maybe things will click better with the new arm..Ben is junk

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Mid season? Unlikely.

After the season? Possibly.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You like living on the edge, don't you.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

?

I do not follow.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You do not fire anybody while riding a 4 game winning streak. Before the end of the season would be foolish also even if they lost the next 4 or 5 in a row. The offensive problems have a lot to do with the execution of the plays more so than the actual play call. The interception on the second play of the game was horribly under thrown and therefore easily picked off.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Like most here believe, any changes will come after the season is over.

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    There was a slogan going around when Richard Nixon ran for re-election that seems apropos. "Don't change Dicks in the middle of a screw, vote for Nixon in '72".........or 2017

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry, just razzing you. You didnt really go out on a limb with that prediction :smiley1:

18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's like he over thinks and runs stuff into the ground. Run works twice, lets run it again instead of PA. Perfect example, Juju's TD. Should have done PA on 1st they do all this stupid stuff and get bailed out by a penalty. Then they run PA on 1st and what do you know it worked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Should he s job be in trouble? Yes. Will it? Unfortunately, no. The Rooneys will keep him around because of his dads time with the team. Sometimes you can be loyal to a fault.

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Under thrown probably.....but you can't say it wasn't a terrible play call or decision in the first place. You had the CB 10 yds off the ball with deep safety help over the top. It's too early in the game to try a pass like that without at least tryin to set the D up.....there is way too much transparency in what we were trying to do and too much. "I'm just gonna throw it no matter what the D is dictating.....stubborn and stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    In season changes can work but its rare. If they did it, would have to be someone from the staff who won't tear everything down like an outsider will. IIRC, Fichtner was in the running during the last search. Him and Ben get along great and before anyone thinks it would be a return to sandlot football, it wouldnt, Ben has no interest in getting hit anymore.

Not that I think that will happen. I dont even think he'll be let go after the season.

22. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Todd Haley and his dad Dick are my cuz's. Never met them and they never saw me. My family is also from the Midway area. I would like to see us throw more on 1st down but other than that I think he is doing a good job. No way will Coach T and the Rooney's fire him before we either win the superbowl or get beat in the playoff's. Remember, it was his offense that damn near beat us in SV XLIII

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Probably right but I will almost guarantee Ben is definitely not coming back with Haley at the helm...
    Look we flirted with sending Haley to the booth before the season....it could be best for all to at least give that a shot. Maybe Haley will see the game better and get him and Ben away from each other...

What do you do with 2 children who aren't getting along? You separate them....PTHITBI

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Lets not forget its not only the bad play calling, but worse yet is they are so predictable it's almost embarrassing. When Nix is in and they are in the I formation, its run up the middle. When Bell is far off the QB its a toss to Bell going outside. No backs, Bell on the line it has to be a pass. There are other formations that give the plays away way too often, this is not suppose to happen at this level. 9 out of 10 times its run on 1st and 2 nd down and throw on 3rd down with no play action, just plan predictable.

But he wont get fired during the year.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i believe after this season it's time for ben and haley to go. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1