1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The last drive...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dobbler-33, Nov 12, 2017.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    text book example of why YOU DO NOT BENCH BEN! Ups and downs blah blah blah. Quit asking if Dixon... I mean Dobbs is active. It's not his time and hopefully he's the answer when it is. Ben still has it, even if "it" is a little watered down these days. The line didn't help much at times, more dropped passes, more head scratching play calls, more of the same O'l this and that etc... But the general showed up and did his job when it mattered most! Game ball Ben!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Agreed. Bell can’t win games, but Ben still can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We need more reverse plays I think we ran more yards going backwards than forward

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Ben can get us to the stairway but, until proven otherwise, Bell is still the catalyst.

Bell has the capability to carry us but only if the offensive line allows him to; Ben no different.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Yeah... Over those already. Even the fake reverse to receivers and give to bell... He's never been a speedster. Conner maybe turns that into something but don't need those when the ball actually needs to be moving forward in certain situations like crunch time. Quit getting cute Haley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BadwordLebeau

BadwordLebeau Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I’m highly critical of Ben but with the game on the line there are only 3 or 4 other guys currently in the world that I’d rather have.

Just come to grips that he is not likely to stake the team out to a 24 point lead on any kind of consistent basis. But with a strong defense and a running game he can cobble enough together to gut out wins and win championships. It’s been done before

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Roethlisberger drove the Steelers into position for the game-winning field goal twice. Most importantly, the big play to Brown to set up the game-winner looked like the old Roethlisberger. I still have hope that at some point, he will stop making business decisions and start extending plays and hitting throws like that again.

I'm frustrated with his play overall, too, but he is by far their best option. It is inarguable among the sane.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    On the final drive Ben made several plays on the move that were huge. Plus I really don't think he was bad for most of the rest of the game. He was mostly playing smart but getting very little help. And I am not afraid of ripping on Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Hollywoodbags68

Hollywoodbags68 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    I am encouraged by the fact that although he isn't as productive as he has been in the past, he also isn't throwing the kind of mind-numbingly idiotic INTs that have plagued him in the past, either -- with the exception of the 5 INT game.

As long as he can take care of the ball, they have a shot.

He looks like he is on his last legs physically, though. Every hit it seems he comes up hobbling and limping. I just pray they can keep him in one piece.

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree Dobbs can't give us that maybe in time but right now Ben is the guy end of story. One thing is we need more dink and dunk. We need to get the ball in the hands of play makers that we all know are pretty talented.

For example first play of the game short pass nice yardage, 2nd play air it out.....wtf? On the last drive we hit Bryant over the middle for a nice gain and of course the big play by AB. I know people complain about the WR bubble screen but I like it. Our WR's are so talented let them do the work, I am not saying every play. I would rather see a bubble screen than Ben just chucking it up for a jump ball our WR's don't have a chance for.

There is a time for the long bomb and it will work but it is our go to way to early in the game. We need to set it up more with nice quick passes. This offense is unstoppable running this short offense imo.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    The second half, Ben looked more like the old Ben then he has all season. When he plays like that, I like our chances. The Colts sold out to stop the run...Bell wasn't going anywhere. I am amazed Bell ended with the yards he did. Ben became Ben in the second half. Man I hope he can continue it for one more run!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Is it just me or does it seam like they only run Bell between the tackles? I noticed when Connor got the carry it was outside and wide open. I have been wondering this the last few games as I wonder if it is designed that way due to Bell's running style.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed...problem is we don't have the patience to stick with what is working Ben/Haley? Bubble screens have their place but we should be running that fake block/pass off of them at least once a game and early to keep the D off balance. That's the biggest problem I have with Ben/Haley? There is no continuity to our play calling....nothng is setting up another play.....just random and a lot of times very unnecessary calls and or decisions. Way too many tackles for losses and continued terrible 3rd and short conversions.....TEs anyone?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    They tried him outside a few times but Indy were all over it. When they ran the Connor play my first reaction was to expect it to get snuffed out, like the other times - glad I was wrong.

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am glad you said Ben/Haley cause I too have no clue where the problem is. I know lots here want to blame Haley but I really don't feel that way just wish I knew better how a play call works out. Is Ben looking off his 1st read or his short read and trying to force the ball down field. Or is Haley sending in plays for 15+ yards when we need 2? It is easy to blame the play calling but how many times is the play changed and how many times is the hot read not looked at. IDK I know Ben and Haley don't get a long but you know what they don't have to just execute and I could care less if them 2 are going to dinner after the game. What I do know is this when BA was here Ben took lots of hits but since Haley has been here things have changes and Ben has been one of the least sacked. To me I like it cause without Ben the ship sinks fast..........

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah not much right, I feel mostly Bell runs inside the tackles and some times when Bell does go outside it is after he goes thru the line right? I am not criticizing just talking about what I am seeing, for the most part this style has been working...

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah I don't think any of us know for sure and based on what some other posters say about red zone being a issue since the BA days is indeed true. I think you might be underestimating the importance of their relationship or lack there of. I will always go back to Ben's Rosetta comments when Haley first got here. I don't think it has ever really blossomed since then. Like I said that in the beginning Ben was on board and this O was clicking at least between the 20s. It seems we get further and further away from that approach every year and now we struggle to just move the ball. Honestly I don't think Ben could handle a complicated playbook and Haley had to simplify it to match what Ben is comfortable with. I feel that is where some of the animosity comes from ,coupled with the fact Ben loves BA....wonder why....bombs away Bruce.

Like I said I don't think it is all Haleys fault but Ben seems to be getting more and more removed from Haleys message. I know some others may disagree without anything to back it up ,but just disagree for arguments sake . At this point I don't really see how taking some control from Haley or getting rid of him all together could really make things any worse. There was that whole screaming episode yesterday that Ben seemed to take as a opportunity to throw Haley under the bus on his radio show....their relationship is clearly strained. Has it gotten to the point where it is effecting our O ....I seems so to me.
    I know clearly it's not the Steeler way to fire a coach mid season but maybe a trip to the booth isn't the worst idea...it just seems something needs to change or expect more of the same...like I said m not laying all the blame at Haleys feet but are we gonna bench Ben? ......No.

18. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I’d prefer to see more of Conner. The 17 million dollar man just ain’t cutting it.

And how many times have we seen poor play calling and a dysfunctional offense give way to Ben calling his own plays and moving the ball? Ben and Haley aren’t on the same page so tell Haley to stand there and shut up and let Ben run things. What can it hurt at this point?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The dagger to Brown was vintage Ben. Theres a lot of QB's that would have flopped to the ground if they stepped up into that mess, also had him by the back of the jersey lol. Also seems as if Bryant got a little confidence boost as well. Build on that last drive and rip off 30 pointers from here on out lol.

• Like Like x 2
  20. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Couple of Naive thoughts here but why don't we run more no huddle during the game, just to mix it up and have a change a pace? It seems when Ben has the freedom to call his own plays the Offense seems to move. Why is Connor not spelling Bell more during the game? His burst of speed when in was night and day plus again good change of pace.

Maybe if the Steelers spent as much time focusing on lining for 2 point conversions and the playbook as they do on TD celebrations we could be a lot better!

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Just curious when its ok to go deep? Seems like people around here would like them to never throw down the field.

Not singling you out NY, just see complaints about the deep ball a lot.

22. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Good ?

I think the problem is there isn't enough going on prior to setting up the long ball. I mean if the look is there, then yeah you got to exploit it... But as things are currently, a lil more bait in the bucket could make those 50/50 balls work in a more positive fashion. If the DB wants to play off of say Bryant, hit a few quick slants (get him in a rhythm) suck the defenders up some. There is a lot of mid range field open that if worked, opens up the bombs away approach when it's there. I'm not personally in a position to say this with any authority, but I'm not trying go routes with db's playing 10 yds off of a receiver especially with safety help. Suck em in with the quick slants and run game.... PA all day. Really would help with a bit more no huddle mixed in... And again, get some change of pace help form the backup RB a lil more. There is a lot of options not being explored currently.

23. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    we use no huddle less on the road because it is harder to communicate the plays

24. SteelTruck

SteelTruck Member

Oct 31, 2017
    One interesting fact...Ben's QB rating is higher this year than it was in the 2008 season when we won it all!

25. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    That's a gimme. They aren't using much of anywhere, but I haven't checked the stats really either... Eyeball tests can be misleadinG.