1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we really want a first round bye??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Frick32, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Frick32

Frick32 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Since the Steelers appear to come out of bye weeks very flat...Is a first round bye really something we should be wishing for?

At that time of the year, I'm sure that the players could use an extra week of rest on their bodies but at what cost...will they come out flat again?

Is the flat play after a bye week just a perceived thought or does their record prove it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yes. The Steelers must get the #1 seed and playoff bye week to have any chance at the Super Bowl. We've already witnessed what happens in recent years when they are the #5, #4 or #3 seed.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Bradydaphonedestroyer Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2017
    1st rd bye and a trip to ne in Jan is worthless....1st rd bye and hosting afc title game is great.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Winning 3 games to win a Super Bowl is hard.

Winning 4 games to win a Super Bowl is harder.

Yes you want a 1st round bye.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Both.

We lost the last 3 games following byes prior to yesterday. Record indicates it.

And then there's the perception...why not take it from the Steelers themselves?

"You don't want all of them to be like this," guard David DeCastro said. "Make it a little cleaner, but it's the NFL. That's the way it is, and coming off a bye week, there's something to be said for that."

"We definitely didn't have the energy we normally have," linebacker Ryan Shazier said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "I'm not going to lie. Before the game, some people even told me it didn't feel like a game day. The bye week throws you off a little bit."

6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't know.
    This team seems to need its back against the wall, win or go home mindset.
    They definitely don't play well as a Favorite.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    2 key reasons to want a Bye:
    1) Health
    2) Preparation (wondering if our Staff can take an advantage of it)

Momentum is relevant, but... if you have momentum, but a short week to prepare for KC/NE on the road, them getting a bye and you coming after a hard fought game against TEN/JAX/BUF, with some sore players (or injured), you might not like your chances....

Besides, getting a Bye = at least 1 home game (if top seed, that's 2 home games).

IMHO, for reasons stated above, I prefer to have a Bye. If we have a shot to be top seed, make everything you can in order to get it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Jan 16, 2017
    IF BRADY SURVIVES THE MADDEN CURSE I WILL LOSE ALL FAITH IN HUMANITY .

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    There’s a big difference between the regular season bye and having an extra week to prepare for a single elimination playoff game. Yes we want it, and no we wouldn’t lack for energy or focus.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Oh hell yeah we want a bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still take great pride that the Steelers were a 6 seed and won 3 games on the road to get to a SB but the hell with going through that again. Having a bye makes watching the first round of playoffs very enjoyable.

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The fact that he is 40 and still winning has made me already lose all faith in humanity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    This season reminds me of George Clooney's line in "Oh Brother" when he observed " Well this town must be some kind of GD anomaly - two weeks from everywhere!"

The stats in the AFC so far this season between Pgh and NE are an anomaly - it's anyone's guess how home or away this season would better suit either team.

Overall record: 7-2 each (tied for best in AFC)

Home record: Pgh 2-1; NE 3-2 (while small sample stats - neither are dominant but NE losing 2 at home with Brady is an anomaly in and of itself)

Away record: Pgh 5-1 (2nd best in AFC); NE 4-0 (best in AFC)

Current streak: Pgh W 4 in a row (tied with TN for 2nd best in AFC); NE W 5 in a row (best in AFC)

Since the B generation (Ben, Brady, Billicheat) started - neither home nor away seems to favor Pgh vs NE in the playoffs - so again - anyone's guess how this would all play out, ignoring the obvious long term trend. This adds to the conflict of wishing for home or away or bye games come playoff time.

Now with two 4 game win streak teams facing off this Thursday, something has to give - should be another good challenge with both teams barely surviving their most recent games with last second W's and heroic QB play. Bring it on! Visions of Big Snack putting Eddie George to sleep in mid-air several years ago dances through my memory. :drinks:

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Bradydaphonedestroyer

Jan 16, 2017

Yeah, I started watching more hockey and baseball, I used to watch nfl every Sunday. ...I was doing great because patriots went 10 straight yrs without a sb...I thought to myself ok he is done....but then he wins two more...

And the way SEA choked that sb to the pats just makes me hate football.

And the way ATL did what they did, makes me .....lol

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    The bye is more important than a potential bit of momentum. At that point of the year in the playoffs, they better have all of the motivation they need to keep going. Plus, let another couple of teams knock out the first rounders while you rest and plan. Then come out strong knowing it's a playoff game, not just another regular season match-up.

15. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    That is a regular season issue. Tomlin cannot motivate the team to play after the regular season bye. The players are self motivated in the playoffs.

There is one situation that is an exception and I have seen this with other teams. It`s when you have everything locked up early and you do not play a meaningful game for several weeks in a row before the first playoff game. I doubt we will be in that situation.

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Pretty sad and telling that pro athletes and coaches can't get motivated to play one of 16 games and only 16 with that mindset......weren't the pats coming off a bye as well....hmmm. Very telling....

17. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    No kidding. Hey, if every team suffered a bye week hangover, then fine. But since some teams actually use it to their advantage, then any team who can't has a coach with a screw loose. The fact that EVERYONE in football knows we play down to lesser competition and suck after a bye is telling.

It tells me that Tomlin has a glaring deficiency that he either can't or chooses not to fix.

Mike, FIX THIS!

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well we did break our streak of post bye losses ,so maybe he did change something....maybe he put a curfew on Dave and Busters time...

19. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I think you are focusing on the wrong thing.
    For this season and the last two, the Steelers had an AWAY game after the bye.
    Lost the last two, and squeaked through this time.
    We want this team to play as many playoff games at home as possible, as it will improve their chances of reaching the SB.

20. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Absolutely right. 100% agree only thing that matters, #1 seed nothing else will suffice. This is the path to the SB.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We also witnessed what happens when the Steelers have the #1 seed and still lose to New England at home, 2001 and 2004 losses in the AFCCG :shrug:.

22. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I can't give him credit for changing anything when our players are saying it's hard to be sharp after a bye.

Can you imagine Patriots players saying that? Nope. You can't.

Why? Because their coach prepares them to play EVERY GAME.

They don't play down to the level of their opponents. That's disgusting. Tomlin is and always will be a second rate coach because REAL coaches prepare their teams to play EVERY game.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    it has been so long since we have had a playoff bye, I would be anxious

to see how we handle it. We have gone into the playoffs as the 6th seed and won it

all, lets see how we can do with a 1 or 2 seed with home field.

24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    True... but a slim chance is better than no chance at all. It's impossible for the Steelers to win at Gillette in January.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  25. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    You had me until # 2... buahahaha. Preparation? You're kidding, right?

But I'll take a bye+home field any day, regardless of the perception that they fall flat coming off a bye week.