1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We are 7-2 and people here act like we are 2-7

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ThrowToHeath, Nov 12, 2017.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s only a slight fracture when it’s someone else’s leg.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers did not play well today. They continue to be inconsistent offensively. There was so much talk of fixing things over the break, but that clearly did not happen. The same issues nearly cost them a game against a bad opponent. i'm glad they found a way to win, but I'd be a hell of a lot happier if I saw improvement.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Stafford is one of the best QBs in the league and they won. With Rogers out, theres only one QB standing in their way. Well, besides their own.

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We'll lose first round of playoffs the way the offense is playing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. InBenWeTrust

InBenWeTrust Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Telling people to stop complaining is like telling people smoking is bad for you. Lots of people still smoke.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The D continues to miss tackles too. Maybe it's the yellow gloves they were all slipping off the runner

7. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Well it’s easy to say those things in the middle of the game. I’m sure their comments after the game are different. Ben was struggling a bit today, but your right they wanted Bell to take us home. It didn’t work this game so Ben had to come up with the goods, and he did. I know I was a little unhappy during the game as it was easy to be. We should handle a team like Indy. Their not very good at all. All that said we are 7-2 and could of easily be 8-1 if we weren’t distracted at the Bears, because of the anthem protests.

8. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    When they post the stat on Tomlins miserable record against sub 500 teams on the road on a national telecast, it is not just something “Tomlin haters” are seeing.
    Just like Tomlin supporters like to post about no losing seasons, the other side will always have that fact.
    That being said, Tomlin has a great chance of another conference title game, and if this team takes care of business like they should, I see us hosting KC in that game.

9. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    Good point, but we still haven’t played to our full potential offensively this season. We’ve had some good games, but not a thorough beat down of someone. So I still believe we can be a lot better offensively and we’re already better defensively. We have a good team Thursday so we see how that one goes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    But, I honestly think Indy can finish strong, as Brissett gets more and more used to their system. I see them as spoilers in the second half against some tough teams.

Also, if Ben does decide to retire and doesn’t drag it out, I could see that #7 or Luck in a Steelers uniform next year.

11. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    They actually have a decent team they just don’t have a good quarterback. Brisset is getting better, but they need Luck back. Also I don’t see them getting rid of Andrew Luck in anyway shape or form. If in some scenario Ben retired and we got Luck that would be phenomenal. Ben has done great things for us over the years that for sure!

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If you watch the game highlights or Juju's highlights that the Steelers are posting on facebook there are certain things that jump out at you namely that Ben seems to focus on the play as called and isn't reading the defense.

The Bryant interception on the opening drive, look at it presnap. They give Bryant the 10 yard cushion, Desir rocks backward before the ball is snapped and the outside linebacker motions over to impede Mac. That should never have been a go route. Should have been a slant and Bryant makes it a good ten yards maybe more.

Same thing latter in the third I think on the Brown OPI call. Presnap they give the cushion to the guy opposite Brown, the OLB is way inside the box and instead of Ben seeing it and audibling it to a quick slant he focuses on Brown in dbl coverage.

Other times it is clear the Colts have seen the film and are clogging the short routes and riding guys beyond the five yards but letting them loose in the gap between safety and lb which Haley isn't identifying it and telling Ben to look for it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That's what matters to me. So when we win a squeaker against a bad team it pisses me off because I know it's an illusion that this team is going anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    7-2 is great but yet again this team squeaked by with a win playing another inferior team. Playing this way, you really think this team can compete against the hated Patriots?? We didn't even play man coverage & still got gashed by the big play. Today's win is good but it was very very unimpressive & I'm very concerned because at this pace it's hard to imagine we are gonna be this lucky playing good teams throughout the playoffs ...bottom line this team didn't show up today ...Patriots show up every week

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We will see how long the team can ride the defense.

The inconsistent and lack of scoring points by the offense could be a problem against an offense the can produce points.

Its nice to be 7-2 regardless how this team got there.

16. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
  17. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    None of this is new. Pagano and crew aren't the first coaching staff to recognize and exploit this. But our coaching staff can't prepare the offense to recognize and counter it.

This team is not prepared week in and week out. They aren't properly coached schematically nor are they mentally prepared.

The problem is that they have the potential to do so much more, to be so much more. I'm spoiled as a Steeler fan. Every year begins with realistic expectations of the post season. Many other fans don't have that.

But to see a season with so much promise squandered is beyond frustrating. And I'll rag on anyone associated with this team until we start playing up to our potential. I don't want this team to lose, and anyone saying I do is full of crap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don’t think anyone can argue there are inconsistencies with our play, so I can understand why some people see 7-2 and say “yeah, but...”

The problem I have is when the “yeah but” is there whatever the team does, or whatever the context, and it basically just becomes a confirmation bias.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    - Big Ben had bit of an ugly game
    - Playcalling was a little suspect
    - JUJU PRODUCED
    Just saying :read: On to Tennessee on TNF :herewego:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I really hate to complain. I really do.

My reason for it is only because we're squandering an opportunity to play some enjoyable games. #1 WR, #1 RB, Future HoF QB in his swan song. Solid line. Good supporting cast.

We should be the ones putting up 40+ points a game. We should be feared. And that's not homerism. We have the team in place to steamroll the conference.

And the fact that we can't put together 60 minutes of focused ball and play up to our potential is excruciating to behold.

I don't need for us to be something that we're not. I need for us to be exactly who we are capable of being. And that is NOT beating the hapless Colts on a field goal as time expires.

The entire organization is at fault here. But there is one person responsible for preparing the team and getting the most out of them. If a team underperforms, the coach is to blame.

McAdoo's Giants are a train wreck. No one is giving him a pass because of injuries to his stars. He is losing control of the team. Their record is ultimately on his hands. And our record is on Tomlin's hands, just as is the inability to game plan and prepare the troops.

I can accept a dropped pass, a pick, a fumble, a missed tackle. But when those start to become common, something has to change. It goes from being an isolated failure to perform to being a mindset of acceptance. The latter will cost us home field and a championship unless something is done to correct it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Our play is disappointing and not enjoyable to watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    They are not inconsistent... Bryant runs a very short cross route and gets 20 yards.. Juju picks up nice yards on slants... Conner runs 12 yards on one play.. Bell in the flat for a short pass gets yards, they have some great plays.. but.. All the good plays are tried once a game.. We lose 7 yards on runs up the middle or for no gain.. We run that play 20+ times???? Ben has guys running wide open, he does not see them.. McDonald was wide open from the LOS to the end zone and then did jumping jacks in the end zone until Ben saw him.. This offense is wacked.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  23. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Did you watch the Patriots destroy the Broncos last night? Our defense is going to stop Brady? I don't think so.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I have mixed feelings about it. I mean, I'm absolutely stoked that we're 7-2, pretty much running away (knock on wood) with the AFC North and are staring down a first-round bye. If you told us we'd be 7-2 with this kind of season, most of us would be happy.

But, I feel like the team chemistry is garbage. I think we're 7-2 because we have a really talented team that can simply win because we're good enough.

IMO, we're the most talented team in football and should be dominating people more times than not. I get the optimism, but this season has been downright frustrating because I think many of know how it's (very likely) going to end... in a 35-17 loss in New England.

• Agree Agree x 4
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We’re not squandering anything if we keep winning. Most teams going through the process of figuring out how to play their best are also figuring out how to win. We’re 7-2 while not playing our best ball. We’re keeping pace.

Also, we do not have 40 ppg talent, or even 30 ppg talent. We don’t have the QB to be “that” team anymore. Ben’s physical ability is deteriorating. Many of our issues arise when he and/or Haley forget that and try to do too much.

I’ll assess when the season is over. Lots of football yet to play, and we continue to win to keep pace. By a HUGE margin, that’s what’s most important: winning.