1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Break out game for Bryant

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 10, 2017.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Damning with faint praise. MB didn't stink today, he didn't quit, it's been almost two weeks since he threw a hissy fit. Woo hoo!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I watched (had to lol) the Minn-Wash game today and yes Cousins is a firey presence, which I like at QB, but for what we have, I think Alex Smith should he become available is a better fit. He is way more refined and a better protector of the ball. I like Cousins but the price tag coupled with the end product in Smith is a much better alternative imo. I would still pick a QB in the first round but A. Smith would not miss a beat as a leader for this team should Ben retire. I know Cousins is the en vogue pick but I would take a high draft pick and an aging Smith over a mistake prone Cousins. I have zero faith in Fichtner to help a QB in any way shape or form.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MaineSteelerFan

MaineSteelerFan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2017
    MB came up with a couple of big catches the second half, I will give him props for that.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    They can execute a passing offense at an NFL level. I have some optimism over what Dobbs can be - eventually, but you're kidding yourself if you think he's ready to QB a playoff bound NFL team to the promised land.

The QB run dimension only has value when the QB can handle the full offense. Then it's a great weapon, but only then.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And a pocket QB really only has value when he can make accurate throws consistently . The run threat of a QB would open up the running game right now . The threat of a running QB would limit the coverage right now . AB is already adjusting to Ben's bad balls vs 2 and 3 defenders.I contend it would be better to adjust against less defenders.

If Ben was throwing Darts or dropping the deep ball in then no need to think outside the box, but as stated a pocket QB who isn't throwing well can be replaced by a running QB that isn't throwing well. And what if he does throw well ? Dobbs deep ball in the pre season looked much better than Ben's has .

That deep ball today looked like a HS QB throw .The WR always goes to the outside the ball should always be thrown towards the sideline . Ben knows that he just missed the throw that bad.Dobbs can do better than that.

6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree with some things you say bro... This dobbs parade is not sensible logic. Maybe it sporadically works for a week or 2 maybe even 3 in a gimmick play call situation. Supplanting Ben for Dobbs isn't even in the realm of thinkable. These guys are 7-2... With Dobbs they're playing for an actual preferred QB rd1 next year. Every DC states they hate playing them types of QBs yes... Every DC states the same about Ben. The Hawks, the Panthers, the Chiefs aren't exactly anymore Jekyll and Hyde than our boys at this point. Al of em have effects on Defenses and al of em lose games that in your opinion shouldn't be possible... And if you were on their boards, you'd be screaming to supplant smith, Wilson, and most of all Cam. Idk who zak is, I presume you meant dak. Watson was electric... And is now non existent. Wentz is Ben 2.0 with more speed in his young age and will finish like Ben due to his desire to get hammered on when not needed. None of who you listed has accomplished what Ben has and probably truthfully will not at the end of their ride.

Ben's on his way out that's just the laws of nature, but dobbs can't hold his jock. I hope he turns out to be the guy WHEN it's time, but come on man... Outside of your infatuations with folks you make some good sense at times... And for all the arguing/ situational personnel talk you spend making sense at times you chuck it out the window with suggesting this team would be better with a kid who has shown nothing but barely measurable improvement game to game in the pre season. Again, if all it took was a mobile QB to cure the woes, then Ben would've been benched by DD and Vick and would've been undefeated when he had some wheels in the early days.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014

This guy (PWP) apparently wants to reinvent the wheel, starting a third string qb over a two-time Super Bowl winner, who by the way, is 7-2 this year, because he isn't the player he used to be.

Ben Rothlisberger, right now, today, is the only option we have to win it all this year. No matter what happened to this point, how bad or good his play has been judged, if he goes down, this team has zero chance. Zero.

It's easy to posit hypotheticals with Dobbs being successful in situations where Ben has looked shaky or tentative. I'll take his experience, even though he may not be as great as he once was. Dobbs went in the fourth round for a reason; he is a long shot at best for even just a chance to be a backup; he is a raw commodity, a project. If he really was some sort of a prodigy that they could try with some Wildcat formation, etc., I'm sure we would have seen it by now. I'll take "looking mediocre" with a 7-2 record over a fantasy of what a fourth round, third string qb might do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011

Dobbs can come in and get sacked more and throw more picks than Ben has too because HE IS NOT A READY NFL QB! **** man if we based every stuff off of O appearance or individual appearance on the pre season, our trophy case would be skinnier. Kids not ready... If he was half as good or anywhere near capable of what you think he is, he'd never made it past the first pick last draft. In the same spirit with your line of thought, this team would've had to blown someone a good freak on to get DHB on the roster. That didn't happen and he is not what you think he is.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Pulling Ben for Dobbs in crucial situations like the RZ would show the other vets on this team that the staff has no trust. And that message would reverberate very loudly through the locker room let alone the team psyche. Ben is a damn good leader lately for his teammates that is not questioned. I can't imagine the gatorade cooler treatment AB could conjure the first time Dobbs misses him. He throws fits about LJ not knowing the system and/or reads, let alone Dobbs.

This is just the window closing on a formerly great Steeler, we need to temper the titanium band aids for now and let Big Ben execute his career's two minute warning.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I do not want to start Dobbs .I think he should be getting a game hat and he should have a few packages that fit his skills . If Ben is playing very poorly then use some of those packages to try and spark the Team.

At least that would force Teams to get ready for the threat of another style QB . That's a win in it's on way.

If Brady was playing like Ben is and Bill had Dobbs you could bet you would have seen Dobbs already in GL and short yardage situations.
    Dobbs is the best fit for those scheme wise anyway .As stated before we did it with a washed up running QB and Ben was playing much,much better and now we have a young fresh model and want even kick the tires with Ben playing like crap.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I just want to point out earlier in the year you wanted to take snaps away from Bell to get Connor more involved......how does that look now? I am not trying to be a mart ass just want you to see how that line of thinking you had worked out and compare it to what you are saying now about Ben & Dobbs.

I do not disagree with you when you talk about how bad Ben is playing but you don't make them changes to a team who is now 7-2 and in the middle of a season where we are right now on track for the #1 seed. I have been pretty vocal about Bens play so I get where your coming from. I just think unless an injury no changes should be made, we are what we are and we will only go as far as Ben can take us. jmo

12. MaineSteelerFan

MaineSteelerFan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Those of you who are saying bring Dobbs in over BR, really need to learn something about football lol.

• Like Like x 2
  13. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm in the club of get Connor more touches. It honestly makes sense... Change of pace/preservation/if you ain't gonna change the playbook change its pace etc...

Same guy beats the drum for DHB year after year and ST wise he makes sense, but to play college ball semantics situationally is stupid. Pull Ben in whatever situation for dobbs is asinine. Want to play crazy? Put dobbs in with Ben playing... That might F people up a time or 2.

Problem is, just like when Connor is in the game... D knows what he's doing as there is not enough of a sample size vs what actually happens when he is in. Dobbs package would be the same. No need for a change of pace QB... Running game could use it. Bells style is awesome... Has the league caught up to it? Who knows he still gets his #'s but you add another element, it puts the D on their heels. Change of pace/tendencies etc... Add in multi back see what happens. Playbook needs creativity not cuteness

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Called it. I really wish we could just dominate some of the teams that we should easily beat. Colts played well though. The Steelers didn't show up til mid 3rd quarter. Need 60 minutes Thursday night.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    You predicted Steelers 31 Colts 16 in the score thread !!!:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

That was that thread. This thread someone said we should blow them out, Therefore I said it would be nail biter which unfortunately it was.

Plus, I always stink at predictions.:rolleyes:

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Those of you? One person is saying it.

Its kind of his thing. Far far far outside the box thinking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    lol, I gotcha...so give yourself props for this threads prediction but not the other one!!! No worries man...just busting your chops....

• Like Like x 3
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Your solution for an offense that has looked out of sync at times is to give the starting quarterback even less work with the rest of the offense. Can you please stop polluting multiple threads with this foolishness. It isn't going to happen and it shouldn't happen.

20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. If we get Smith, that works for a couple years. It would be my second choice. If we get neither, we do not seriously contend IMO.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the last game I saw LJ play in was against NE, the last game that stands out to me anyway. He played better in that game against a superior opponent then Ben did today against a weak Colts team.

Its foolish to say Landry cannot be a back up QB. At this point, until we see what Dobbs can do, Landry is better than him.

Neither one of them is supplementing Ben mid season though nor should they.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    There will come a time to get Connor more snaps but imo the 2nd or 3rd game of the season is not the time. I agree as the season goes on we need to take the load off Bell and keep him fresh but that will come as the season goes on.

23. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Well since they're way past weeks 2 and 3 any day now would be nice hahahahah.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I hear ya but what happened today, he came in and got hurt right? Don't know if that is why we didn't see him again but have to think it was a reason. Also we were losing most of the game, do we really want Bell on the bench? Yeah we want to see more of him but we also have to get our stars in all while trying to get this offense rolling, no?

• Like Like x 1
  25. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    If Ben would go down with an injury, how many would think......”now we have a real shot at the Super Bowl!?