1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead (no comics spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Oct 24, 2011.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Was a good fight scene with Jesus and Morgan but why, why can't we all get along????

I agree that Maggie screwed up and I think they hinted on talking dead that she did as well. I think keeping that spineless bastard around could only be bad.

The whole Morales thing was as fine cause really I didn't remember him anyways so to me he was just another guy. I would not be surprised if we see him again is they do a back story on Negan.

The ending was kinda spot on cause the whole show they had things going their way....way to much their way!

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think Morgan is going to go far. Already did the whole walkabout thing, I bet he rushes in to save the Kingdom from that attack.

I definitely remember Morales, not his entire story arc but I do remember how they went their separate ways. Just didnt make much sense. Hey, blast from the past arrrh your dead!

I can handle everything going their way after nothing going their way last season. Ive seen enough of Rick and his group crawling. I want the saviors to die with extreme prejudice. They deserve it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I agree and feel the same way but you knew something was coming especially when Zeke said they didn't lose one not one. As much as we think they deserve it "hollywood" don't play that way.......lol

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah thats true, jinx, oops! :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I didn't think it was a bad episode, but I can't help feeling like they're dragging out the events over these first three episodes. They're obviously raising the issue of morality in war, with the issues of what to do with the captured Saviors. But, in a style typical with the WD over the past few seasons, they seem to be over-focusing on it, with different events/quarrels between different members of the Hilltop/Kingdom/Rick's Crew.

I, too, was confused with the Morales appearance. I get it - in the world WD has created, anybody can be offed at anytime - but it still seemed strange to bring back a character from S1 to serve in a cliffhanger only to kill him off rather quickly the following episode. I also thought the dialogue he was having with Rick deserved more weight than that given to whether the Savior POWs should be kept alive or not - equal in any discussion of morality in war is how one side justifies their actions over their enemy's. Morales was charging Rick with being no better than Negan, calling him (per the episode's title) a "monster." I dunno, I guess I miss more numerous subtle nuances I felt the show presented with respect to differing views and dilemmas in the first couple of seasons. Now it seems like they focus on more obvious points, and tend to beat them into the ground.

As for the fight scene between Jesus and Morgan, I thought it was well-choreographed, but I also couldn't help feeling like it was borrowed from a Marvel movie where two heroes go up against each other over a squabble early on - fun interplay, but you knew nothing was going to come of it.

And where's Negan? For a guy that's supposed to be such a formidable and feared presence, they sure aren't doing much with him.

6. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012

Last we saw him, he was trapped in that trailer with Father Gabriel surrounded by a 1000 walkers in a situation where no one can survive. So I expect to see him this week show up out of no where with nary a scratch.

7. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Lol, yeah. I admittedly haven't read the comics, just seen excerpts, but from what I have seen Negan comes off a bit more ferocious in them than the show (with no offense to Jefferey Dean Morgan).

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not impressed with tonight's show, been an ok start to the year but tonight I wasn't a fan. Just heard on talking dead a back story on Negan/Lucile could happen this season.....maybe even next week :thumbs_up:

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Killed Shiva, that makes me mad :mad:

He could have bucked those walkers off like fleas. :zombie:

Brutal episode for King Zeke, he lost everybody, even took his cat. At least Jerry made it.

Tough episode but thought it was good.

10. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Eh, I thought it was fair. The first 30 minutes I thought were boring - especially the 15 with the trash talking David Koresh Savior leading Zeke away to the sanctuary with the even slower than normal walker horde following behind. At no point did I think they were in danger, and the verbal interplay was equally uninspiring.

I don't enjoy panning the show; it's obviously successful with millions of viewers (including myself) still tuning in weekly, but I just feel the creative team has lost the feel for how to tell a story that gets me fully plugged in. Mad Max Fury Road is one of my favorite action movies of all time. It featured a car chase that, among other things, featured a vehicle with a dude with a flame-shooting electric guitar sporting about 20 amplifiers, with guys on the back beating drums. If you wanna talk over the top, not-grounded-in-reality scenario, there you go. But it told its story in a way that sucked me in, and stuff like that didn't bother me in the least - I just found it entertaining.

TWD, on the other hand, seems to have lost me on how to tell a cohesive, intriguing story that gets me past some of its scenes that require a suspension of disbelief. Things that rubbed me wrong from this episode:

- I thought it was good they presented a chain of events that may have forever rattled Ezekiel, dropping his over the top approach/speeches. But I didn't feel it necessary to dedicate an entire episode of events solely pointed at that. Find a way to weave things together amongst other compelling events to keep the audience fully engaged.

- As mentioned, I never thought Zeke was in any danger while limping away from the carnage from last week's ending. It was obvious the show was staging events solely for their impact upon him. And how do I care at all about Savior David Koresh? It was equally obvious he wasn't going to make it past the episode.

- Carol's attack on the Saviors trying to scuttle the 50 cals out of the outpost. Ignoring how she aimed through a ceiling tile, she fired a burst of semi-auto rounds and happened to get kill shots on all of them? No groaning, rolling around, arm or leg hits; nope, all dead.

- Carol's attack outside the compound - if she really wanted to stop them from leaving, why not shoot the tires of their truck? And how did she know where they were on ammo? With all the bullets being sprayed around, that's some pretty good countin'.

- Jerry's showing up to slice pseudo David Koresh in half just in the nick of time. IMHO, the show does too much of this.

- Say what you will about the realism of having a fully trained tiger that knows good guys from bad, but having said 700+ pound beast taken down by a group of walkers? (Plus, having a soft spot for animals I plain didn't like it ;) )

- Rick and Daryl just happening to be driving by when the Saviors drove off with the guns, and some of events in the chase that followed. Impressive driving from Rick to be right behind a truck with a guy spraying 50 cal rounds at him, but didn't even hit the windshield.

I dunno. I keep tuning in, but I just wish they could find the magic the first season had in weaving multiple arcs while moving the main storyline forward each week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I was a little behind so I've avoided this thread, but I'm all caught up now. Count me in as one of the fans who's struggling with this season. It just doesn't have that 'je ne sais quois' that it used to have. I still watch of course, but I'm struggling to enjoy it as much as I used to. I looked over at my wife during the chase scene from the previous episode and she looked like she was about to roll her eyes out of her head. She looks over and says, 'what are we watching here? A bad episode of A-team?' :lolol:

I think aside from the writing, part of the problem is the amount of bottlenecks they're doing. Hopefully it starts flowing better soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    NOOOOOoooooooo! TTF got sucked into NYSteels vortex :lolol:

They've ramped up the unbelievability factor quite bit. That is, once you get past zombies.

I dont know how closely this seasons storyline is to the comics but that could be part of the problem, easy to get away with this stuff in comics but harder to translate to a TV show.

I said it before but I hope that once Negans storyline is finished, that they get back to focusing the show on zombies.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    My biggest gripe was the chase scene.

They have a mounted .50 machine gun and can't even crack his windshield? WTF? His jeep should have been in shreds. (And his body too)

I knew Shiva was going out from the comics. But I felt like they cheapened it a bit. The herd should have been MUCH bigger to make me believe Shiva got overran and couldn't force her way out. Walkers aren't very strong. A tiger's hide is much thicker than human skin. A dozen or so walkers would NEVER take down a fully grown tiger.

Poor Ezekial. That wasn't his whole army. Many of them were with Rick's crew and Morgan/Jesus's crew. But still a tough blow.

Fans of the comics: did you happen to catch the "foreshadowing" or easter egg type line? I'm not going to say which one or when it happened. It's a massive spoiler.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    “And yet I smi... oh sh!t!!!” Yeah, the King had a rough day indeed.

Agree on the machine gun chase scene. Silliness. Like an earlier Arnold movie where his opponents burn clips of ammo at him on full auto from 50’ away and miss.

Also agree on the tiger going down in that case. What was that, 6 or 7 walkers? BS.

And what about ravens flying at mach... oops wrong series....

Still, it’s fun TV. The Hollywood drama unrealism is goofy, and yet I smile.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I still watch the show, and love the setting and atmosphere, and most of the characters, but it just doesn't feel as exciting as it did up until season 6. I'm one of the ones that thought last season was just a big drag for the most part, but I stuck with it. This season has been better, but it still isn't what it used to be. I'm still hanging in there, though. I used to look forward to every week, but now each episode just kind of leaves me mildly curious about what's coming next.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Always thought even on humans that Walkers rip into them far too easy. Like they got tiger chompers.

[​IMG]

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I feel the same way, I have watched all of this so far so I am not giving up but I am no longer excited about Sunday night. I watch the talking dead and feel that adds some for me however I have never read the comics.

This season is a crap ton better than last season. It is no secret this "debbie downer" was not a fan of last season.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    First Jesus and Morgan now Rick and Daryl....wtf???? Not sure where this story is taking us but 2 fights inside the group is dumb, especially when there was a plan and their lives are at stake. One would think with all the groups have been through with Negan the plan to get him would be pretty simple, but what do I know.

Glad Negan was back this week his sayings are awesome and if they took Abe away from me glad to have a guy kinda take his place for that.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Cheap thrills. I guess they did foreshadow Darryl and Ricks fight last week when Darryl was killing people cold blooded, even the one Rick had promised to let go. Also, keep in mind what the Saviors put Darryl through. I didnt think it was necessary though.

Best scene in last nights episode:

Gabe: You're forgiven
    Negan: (Punch to the face) thanks

:roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think that would get really boring, really fast. They’ve done just about every imaginable story line about zombie herds. Now that they know how to deal with zombies, the only way they’re a threat is with a herd of overwhelming numbers. Hell, even a child can take out a zombie one on one 9 times out of 10 with a steak knife. They’ve done the big herd thing more than once already. Human threats are necessary for the show to avoid spiraling into sleep quickly.

Now, a human threat that uses zombies as a weapon in a way we haven’t seen yet... that could be cool. But zombies alone? Zzzzzz

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If the show was going to continue forever? Yes but thats not what I meant. The series has to be close to running its course and if they are going to put a bow on this thing, they need to get back to what the show is about, zombie apocalypse. Its a disease, maybe there is a way to still save civilization. I always thought Ricks baby had something to do with a cure. I just never understood why she was introduced if not for some involvement with fixing this mess.

Im tired of the whole human threat storyline, Governor, cannibals now Negan, thats getting redundant too.

Show is 8 seasons running now, time to wrap it up. Get back to zombies.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Come to the darkside my friend........:dancing::applaud::roflmao::shrug:

23. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    What if I told you...

That Judith died in the prison in the comics?

Only reason she's still alive on the show: the show runners didn't have the stones to kill a baby.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    As far as the human element, that's really what the show has been about all along. The zombies are just the setting. In the comics (can't remember if it was said on the show), at one point, Rick's group realizes that they, not the zombies, are the walking dead.

But there does need to be a balance. I finally realized the exact moment that the show started becoming less intense and less interesting for me. In episode 12 of season 6, they had built the foreshadowing of the Negan storyline, and had Rick's group attack a single compound, mistakenly thinking it was Negan's only group. That was extremely intense, but then it was like, "oh, never mind, that really wasn't anything." I expected the tension to just get higher from there, and instead, it went the opposite direction, and has never reached that level again for me.

Like I said, I'm still watching the show, and I still enjoy seeing the story and character development, but it just hasn't had the intensity that it used to.

25. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    The most intense moment for me is when the cannibals had the group bent over like cattle ready for the slaughter.

[​IMG]

Negan going around with a Lucile about ready bash Glenn & Abe was a close second.

[​IMG]

After that, the plot Armour has been pretty thick and the storylines have fallen flat.