1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben not nearly as bad as some are saying

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Nov 1, 2017.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    wow didn't think it was that long probably cause it was so nice.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I keep thinking maybe Ben is hurt, and then he does this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So? Was it or wasnt it a perfect pass? Have you ever given credit to any player/coach you dont like? Try it, not that hard to be objective.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    we are the only winning team to not score 30 points (jax of course got 30 from 2 pick sixes from some sexy man who I dare not mention, lets just say he hides out in a secret chamber in his locker)

5. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I tell it like it is, I'm not going to forgive a person for screwing up more times than he finally hits a target. Let's see this happen on a more consistent basis, rather than giving the guy a medal and forgetting the misses for when he finally lands one. He got very lucky with the deep pass to Brown, he was just throwing it away before he got hit and Brown was smart enough to come back for it. ( near Detroit's goal line) Everybody is talking about Ben not being physically right,,it's in his head too he knows he isn't the same player but he's still trying to force the ball. It's going to come back and haunt us at the wrong time, and that's usually vs the cheats. They know he isn't the same player more than Tomlin does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe it is the hand, or maybe the knees are bothering him and that is throwing off his mechanics. That could lead to the inconsistency. He follows through properly on some throws, but not others.

That said, he went from holding the ball too long to rushing throws when there is pressure. Take away that ability to make big plays after pressure and he's just not that good.

7. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    JU JU was wide open and Ben had nobody around him, he better damn well complete that pass, it couldn't get any easier than that. I give Haley the credit for drawing that play up and for calling it.

8. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    What everyone knows - or should know anyway - is that without Ben in the game we lose.

Everyone would like to see him playing that backlot style of football and running around creating plays. Everyone would love to see him running the ball the way he used to if he got the chance. Ben would love to do that too and has said so.

I reiterate: What everyone knows - or should know anyway - is that without Ben in the game we lose. Playing that style gets him hurt and makes him miss games. We made the moves necessary to have a great O line that can protect him and open up holes for the run game. Haley was brought in to change the offense so as to better protect Ben. We have the wide receivers and TE's we have to fit in the "new" offense.

So why is everyone so surprised that things have changed?

It seems to me to be a lack of timing/communication between Ben and his receivers that's more of a problem. But that's just my opinion and maybe it's right or maybe it's just being optimistic. The second half of the season will tell.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    So Ben is 6-2 at the bye and has a 2 game cushion in the division lead, I'm happy with that and we have a history of winning november december games going forward, we won 7 straight last year in nov dec, average points scored in those 7 wins about 26, we only scored over 30 once and that was a 31-27 win against the rats, Ben knows what he needs to do to win in the home stretch, he has been there many times and proved he can do it, so i'm confident in him winning games for us down the stretch, Ben is a winner and when the chips are down heading to the playoffs he plays his best and will again this year, this is just silly talk that Ben is washed up, he will win 6 or 7 games going forward, i'm betting on him to get it done.........

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    lol it's ok, i didn't expect you to be able to do it.

It's easy for you to give Haley credit, you don't hate him.

11. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    As I posted earlier today Ben and the Steelers will win #7 this year barring any serious injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I will say I have been a Ben supporter his whole career I don't want to see the sandlot anymore cause he is getting older and he don't have to. Ben has experience, one of the best olines in the game and total talent around him. He don't need to extend plays and I don't want him to cause he is to valuable to us. What I want is for him to hit wide open receivers, hit guys in stride and let them do the work and throw a ball deep that has a chance.

No one is surprise at the change a lot of us are surprised by the poor play he is showing. I am hoping that a week off and things will work out.........

14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Haley drew up the formation, if the lane was there again then hit it. Could've been a running play but a passing play was called from Haley. If people are getting all excited about a $20 million QB hitting a wide open player , then we're in trouble he's suppose to hit the wide open easy targets. I'm more excited about Ju Ju's speed, I didn't know he was that fast either. The Madden game needs an update!

15. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I hate to agree, but this is spot on.

When a qb stops following his instincts, especially when it was those instincts that made him epic, then he is either physically or mentally unable. I think it's a combination of both.

He doesn't pump fake any more so I'm thinking hand strength or trauma. That would hurt his accuracy on the intermediate throws and touch on the long balls.

And I still believe he is not all in mentally. He's playing safe. Trying to stay out of harm's way. He's not even trying to shrug off tackles. He just goes down. And honestly, I'm not knocking him for that. But it is a divergence from what we're accustomed to and what made him great.

Listen to what he says to opposing qb's after games. "Stay healthy"

He's been saying that for a while now.

You don't think that kind of mantra follows him to the field? He's not all in mentally. I'm certain of it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We finally agree on something, it's a start.

18. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    How about receivers stop dropping passes that hit them in the hands, in the end zone no less? Rogers dropped a TD last week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I still love Ben, and I'm glad he came back this yr, but he clearly isn't right and hasn't been since about wk. 11 last season........ passes that were routine for him are now sailing, and he looks like he's aiming the ball rather than just throwing.... he had passes sailing in the Detroit game, and that game was under a dome..... the time is definitely coming

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Ben's deep ball has really been rough this year so far. Sails a few too many too. He's not super old though, that's the weird part... Lots of guys play QB until they are in the shadow of age 40. Ben physically has some time left. Maybe it's mental at this point? He did say some things that would lead you to believe that after the jags game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Or physical. I couldn’t name one quarterback who has taken more of a beating in his career in the last 20 years...

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Well, we agree on Ju Ju's speed, but I say we let Madden keep underscoring him - might fake some DBs out at key points. ;)

As for the playcall, of course Haley called the formation. As you say with Ben regarding throws, that's Haley's job. But there are numerous nuances the QB and offense as a whole a whole must have collectively to perform effectively, like Ben calling the adjustment to JuJu if the D lined up similarly again. I won't argue Ben's playing level comparative to his younger years, but I think it's easy to take for granted what a true franchise QB does for an offense. He may not be at a level we're used to - leaving alone the possibility he may well improve as the season wears on - but how some (not you) can proclaim we"d be better off with Dobbs at the helm - or, heck, 75% of the other starting QBs in the league for that matter - honestly floors me.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Total yards is great, but it ignores situational statistics. Look at Ben’s completion percentage on 3rd down or inside the redzone. Both of them stink no matter how you slice and dice it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    His deep ball has always been iffy. I still see him making some really nice throws and a little improv here and there. He could play a few more years if his heart is in it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I swear some of you don't actually watch the games and just look at the box score. He's throwing the ball fine. He's lacking the escapeability of his old self but that's about it. Jax game he had two balls tipped and Ramsey made an amazing catch for the other one. Eli Rogers dropped an easy touchdown. I can remember about 5-7 times where it was miscommunication like he thought AB would sit in the zone or something. Two games ago I remember him throwing a perfect ball to Bell in tight and the DB made an amazing play. Same type of ball he threw to the Outlaw last game and he took it 40 yards. He's thrown a few balls high like he did to Outlaw last game but he's always had the tendency to throw a little high. Not every throw is going to be perfect. The issue is the playcalling in the redzone. Throwing when they should run and running when they should throw. They've been in the redzone the 3rd most out of any team. If they are putting up 30-40 points a game nobody would be saying anything.

• Disagree Disagree x 2