1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben not nearly as bad as some are saying

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

OK, he is not perfect, he struggled some before Bell got is groove back. But 4th most passing yards and an 82 rating is not nearly as bad as many are claiming. And his #s will just keep improving from here. Bell being back in shape and Ju Ju getting more targets (and MB getting less) will keep upping the stats. Ben is good enough to win another ring if he has enough around him (including a good D).

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The thing with his play is that for the majority of games he is playing pretty well. He has just has had some uncharacteristic brutally inaccurate throws that have missed easy targets and then his characteristic one or two head-scratching decisions. If he simply avoids the terrible misses his performance will go way up. He's missed some really big plays.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m going to skip through the reading.

No, he’s not nearly as bad.

But that’s not the phrase that I want to hear related to the quarterback of the team I think has super bowl potential

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree Ben will get better and I agree with Bell and Juju coming around and maybe Bryant coming back he will improve. However I strongly disagree that Ben has been bad, using your link click on comp %. 33rd, Cutler, Siemian, Dalton, Hogan all ahead of him. Ben is missing wide open guys and tons of long passes. We will go as far as Ben takes us and I hope the week off and rest will help him get back on track.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    One problem is that he's not playing well enough. He's not playing up to his standards. It's holding the offenses scoring potential back. At some point the Steelers are going to play an offense that can score. The inability to produce points in the playoffs could come back to hurt the Steelers this year same as it did last season.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This season will be like the SB vs Seattle.. the D will have to clean up Ben's bonehead mistakes. If they continue to do that , this team will go far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I would like to see a break down of Bens first half of the year vs second half for the last 3years. With our second half runs, I expect we will be seeing the good Ben.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    So you would take those 4 QBs above Ben at this point then?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He needs to stop missing wide open receivers. That is the difference between 3 points and 6 points. That is the difference between good and great.

That 97 yard play to JuJu was wonderful. However, Haley draws up plays that provide more than one such opportunity, per game.

10. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    With this offense and the weapons he has at his disposal, those numbers aren't good.

He has those numbers because of his supporting cast. A top tier qb would setting records with this offense, not be relying on the defense to hold the opposition to 5 field goals just to steal a win.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The sky is falling!
    "Ooooooohhh noooooo." says Mr. Bill

12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Some time in the last two years, something changed.
    It looks like he can't plant and drive the ball.
    High misses.
    Or maybe it's the shoulder.

I don't know.
    He just seems different and not in a good way.

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Doesn’t help that receivers get the dropsies

14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I really don't give a **** about yards. It's a meaningless stat. In fact, a lot of stats are meaningless. Most importantly, I care about the eye test. It's clear as day that Ben has regressed a lot since last year. He has absolutely zero zip in deep balls. There hasn't been a single deep ball thrown this year where he has been able to put anything behind it. That tells me that he can't make those throws anymore. Not a huge deal except for the fact that he has been inaccurate on short and intermediate throws too. His completion percentage backs up my statement by the way (a bunch of mediocre and struggling QB's have better completion percentages).

I care about one thing. He has regressed, noticeably. I can find stats that back up that claim and you can probably find stats that disprove that claim. What can't be disputes is if you watch his play, you can see it, he's not the same, not even close. A guy like Ben who has taken a beating and has often relied on athletic ability is going to age much faster than a guy like Brady or Brees. He has aged. We are very quickly nearing the end of his career. Unless they're hiding an injury that is affecting his play, then I believe this year should be his last. It's time. He's only going to continue to get worse, not better. The cast around him is filled with studs, but his play has been very inconsistent and erratic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. BadwordLebeau

BadwordLebeau Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Don’t care about what the stats say. He’s not passing the eye test.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    We all know how another famous athlete remedied this issue..............................

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Come on man is that a serious question.....hell no I wouldn't. I am simply pointing out that in the thread you started in which it reads .......Ben in not nearly as bad.........Ben is that bad. No where did I say I want another QB, we will sink or swim with Ben and I hope the bye week gets him on track and we swim!

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Very well said agreed about stats they can be made to look a person point of view. Prime example Juju's 97 yarder that was one of Ben's best passes but what did he throw it 5 yards? I support Ben but his ability is going backward and it is a shame cause the D is getting back to where it once was and we are loaded on offense

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually he threw it 30 yards on the money. That was a beautiful pass. Hasn't done that nearly enough though.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Or you can think about it this way: Ben Roethlisberger's "down" year is on par with Joe Flacco's entire career. Check the stats :)

#HereWeGo

• Like Like x 1
  21. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I agree with what you're saying, but "zip" as you put it is not what you want on long throws. It is touch. You have to have the arm strength to get the ball the distance, but you put touch on the ball to have it travel above defenders and drop where your receiver is going to be.

Ben is just heaving the ball on deep throws. He still has strength enough in his arm to throw 40-50 yards. But what looks more a problem is hand strength. I don't think he's able to grip the ball the way he used to. Without grip to rely on, you can't pump fake, and when was the last time you saw him do that? Without grip, you can't be accurate. I bet one of the issues he's battling is hand trauma, possibly from smacking it against so many helmets over the years. And unfortunately, that's not going to correct itself. And when the weather gets bad, either he goes back to gloves and they help, or maybe he gets worse. I hope I'm wrong.

That was a 30 yard pass. The pass before to James was almost a 30 yard pass as well. James just happened to be at the 22. Maybe 30 yard throws are his sweet spot?

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  23. MaineSteelerFan

MaineSteelerFan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2017
    As long as the Steelers win I don't much care about stats as well. Ben has not been himself this year, is it all on him? No way, this is a team sport. Can his play be fixed? Heck yah. Personally, I believe his struggles are due to a foot work issue, this is when coach's need to step in and point this out to him - its an easy fix for BR, he's never had this bad of an accuracy problem in the past.

24. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He missed the exact same play to James, it took 2 trys

25. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The only thing that made Ben special was his ability to escape the pocket and cause havoc. Now that he isn't doing that anymore we are now seeing the real Ben, he has tunnel vision ( doesn't see the open guys) and isn't a pocket passer.