1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackmailing Employees? Zeke's Suspension Reinstated

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Oct 12, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2733145-ezekiel-elliott-suspension-block-overturned-by-judge

Keep in mind that Zeke's accuser essentially wanted to "ruin his career". Given the amount of media attention he has received in addition to the magnitude of this outcome, this leads me to this question;

Should Ezekiel Elliot ultimately not have any further legal options and has to serve his six game suspension, does this ultimately put the nail in the coffin for Goodell to "blackmail" any NFL player regardless of evidence?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The "nail in the coffin" is the cba that the players union signed off on. Without that I don't think that Zeke gets suspended.

3. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think Zeke should be suspended regardless. I still remember Ben getting his suspension for "pattern of conduct" because no charges were filed. Elliot has had 5, not 1 or 2, but 5 repots of domestic abuse during his time at Ohio State and then after his rookie NFL season he gets in a bar fight and pulls down a woman's top. He may not be 100% guilty of domestic abuse but his pattern of conduct is one that merits a suspension just based on precedent of other players.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Where does blackmail come into play here? RG is a douche, but how is he blackmailing anyone? He's not holding something over Zeke's head to get something in return. Stupid thread.

5. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    This has turned into a soap opera, he was suspended so serve it. This whole joke of going to the courts and appealing an internal issue. If a player is ejected for a hit can you immediately request a stay of suspension from a local judge with season tickets? My god they cut Lucky Whitehead for something he didn’t do then didn’t backtrack when they found out that he didn’t do a thing. Jerry Jones was the biggest supporter of Brady’s suspension and he pushed to give the commissioner the power that he has. The Steelers are the only team that votes against that type of autocratic power.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

What you do not seem to understand is the fact that Goodell can essentially suspend players based simply off false accusations and nothing more.

Unlike how it was with Ben and Brady, this case is more concerning because there literally is zero evidence within the case itself.

That being said, anyone, regardless of evidence or none, is now fair game. Goodell has officially gone full blown draconian as opposed to partial; hence the "Blackmail" in the title.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm not arguing that RG isn't a misguided, power hungry dictator. I'm just saying that your use of "blackmail" is incorrect. In order for there to be blackmail, someone would have to gain something by threatening another. What does RG gain in this scenario? And what is/are his threat(s)?

He's enforcing a questionable rule by questionable means. But the CBA gives him the power, and quite frankly, the right to do so.

He's a douche, but there's no blackmail.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

With due respect, you just defeated your argument.

To start out, Goodell is threatening his employees by simply using hearsay and nothing else. By simply using such, Goodell can freely punish whomever he pleases while pushing back negativity against the league; his image among the leagues sponsors and fans being at stake.

In other words? Quite a bit of money is at stake in high profile cases like Zeke's. More ratings means more revenue for the league. Incidents like Zeke affect those ratings and could possibly even affect sponsorships as well.

In the end, while Goodell has been a bit of a loose cannon when it comes to cases of similar magnitude in the past, Ezekiel Elliott's case is the most irrepressible for players as no form of evidence is needed to punish the "evil players" of the league despite there being zero conclusive information to reinforce any wrongdoing.

As I said in the beginning, this will have a ripple effect on every single player from hear on out now that Elliot has to wait at the end of the month unless a settlement can be reached; highly unlikely at this point.

Should the NFL win this in court, very likely no less thanks to Article 41, Goodell will have broken his limit to truly showcase the absolute form of a God Complex.

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I get what your saying, due process & all but part of Goodall's job is protecting the "image" of the NFL. Discipline or suspend the riff-raff are his tools to use. Maybe Zeke should seek better souls to hang with. Things that maturing adults learn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I know it probably seems like I'm attacking you and not letting up. That's not my intention. I appreciate you being respectful even though we seem to disagree. But honestly, we aren't disagreeing on premise. I agree with almost everything you're saying. But...

You're making me want to pull my hair out. I AGREE that he is using hearsay. But using hearsay is NOT a threat. It's just ethically wrong.

I might just be misunderstanding your point here, but RG is hurting the image of the NFL by allowing this high profile case to stay front page. This situation does not bring about positive ratings for the NFL.

Dione Sanders is a good example of how fan sentiment, positive or negative, drives ratings and brand value. During his playing days, you either loved him or hated him. He used to say, "Love me or hate me, you're still tuning in to watch me."

He was right because his antics sold tickets and boosted ratings and enhanced the brand.

But the Zeke thing, Kapernick, Tom Brady, Ray Rice, etc. hurt the brand, tarnish the image. And RG is letting them sit and fester in the public eye. They need dealt with swiftly and severely and then removed from the fans' view as quickly as possible, because every moment we think about anything except what goes on between the whistles the brand suffers.

I mean, I have absolutely nothing against breast cancer awareness and its search for better treatment and an ultimate cure. But I don't watch the NFL to see a pink ribbon on jerseys. I don't want to think about it for 3 hours on Sundays.

And if you're going to promote that, why not put a penis on the jerseys and champion the search for a cure for testicular cancer.

Yeah, I've gotten off topic. But the NFL needs to stick to football and stop trying to be something it is not.

11. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    For it to be "blackmail", Goodell would have to have dirt on Zeke. He would be saying something like " I have proof you had someone take you SAT test to get into college, if you don't take your suspension I'll let everyone know about it". Yes, it is a poor example but that is how blackmail is done but it doesn't matter because when the CBA was signed it gave good ol' Roger the hammer to use anyway he sees fit. I also believe the suspension, whether or not Zeke is guilty of a crime, is the correct call because they aren't suspending him for committing a crime but rather a "pattern of conduct", they are only using the accusation of a crime to highlight the pattern of conduct. The issue with these player suspensions is how they are applied, it depends on how Roger feels rather than a standard operation procedure or protocol. A good example was Ben Roethlisberger, not because he is a Steeler but because he wasn't charged with any crimes but he was suspended for pattern of conduct, and then you had Braylon Edwards who was involved in 3 nightclub brawls and charged in 2 of them while he was in Cleveland and then arrested and charge with DUI while in NY with the Jets and not a single day did he serve a suspension. The problem was he wasn't a big name so they didn't care but Edwards was the perfect "code of conduct" violator, he did the exact same things over and over, crimes involving alcohol yet talk of suspension or any league discipline never came up and remember, he was actually charged and convicted 3 out of 4 times.

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

I guess you need to see the photos before you accept the fact that this punk likes to beat women......

Ezekial Elliot beat up his girlfriend 3 times in the same week ... and there are photos that prove it ... this according to the NFL. Elliott is facing a 6 game suspension with these charges.

The league laid out its case against Elliott in a letter to the Dallas Cowboys running back detailing a week of violence and terror against Tiffany Thompson that began on July 17, 2016.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    A bunch of nonsense, there is no blackmail :facepalm:

14. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    If I was a regular player in the NFL I would not pay my dues. Why Coastal you ask? The NFLPA signed a contract with the NFL that RG had the power to suspend. Now the NFLPA is wasting my money on legal bills for a woman beater. Where is that a good thing? I would have done the same thing when they went to court for brady. The PA can not win but it's ok to throw money at it. it is a waste of time and money.

15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You would pay your dues because you wouldn't have a choice. It's not optional when you're part of a union and you can't just refuse to be part of the union at your work place. It's not that simple

16. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I know I was in a union at Aliquippa PA J&L steel mill. Just wanted to talk tough LOL