1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

From Big Ben to careless Ben:

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Diamond, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  2. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    The article fails to answer it's own question even though it touched on it: Ben is better when he's not asked to throw so much. When he can lean on his run game or defense to keep the game close then he doesn't need to throw as much, doesn't need to target AB as much, and can be less predictable. He no longer has the legs to ad lib like he used to and he has never been the tactician/ cerebral QB that can carry the team week in week out. Also, the article falsely states that the Steelers go as Big Ben goes. That is just not true. The Steelers go as Ben/ Bell/ the defense goes. No one component of the team is good enough to consistently rely on to win week in and week out. For that they need complete team efforts, especially against the better teams in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Maybe this last game begins a mirror to the 2004 season - stout D, superior running game, Ben doing what needs to be done and nothing more (albeit less mobile), dominating and beating undefeated team(s)......................and so, with the upcoming schedule, no reason it can't be a repeat - provided it has a much happier ending than 13 seasons ago. :applaud:

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Prior to week 5. Ben had thrown only one INT.

I'm still waiting for him to have a solid game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you and the article touched on it. Seems like Ben might be better when he knows he doesn't have to carry the load. I don't think it is the pressure that gets to him, he has played on every stage at every level in the NFL. I believe he just tries to do too much when he feels like the game is on him. Maybe there is something to this?

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Interesting, the Ints immediately coincides with his knee injury. I've suspected that his high throws have come from not being able to step into his passes but didn't realize the Ints started the same time as the injury.

Not good news for our deep game and Bryant if the knee is indeed the root of the trouble.

And yes, he clearly should not be throwing the ball more than 25 times a game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They were running some Play Action against KC, probably the first time I saw it all year and it was effective.

Strong run game, and run Play Action to get shots down field!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016

The only game he has is what the Jags game? and that was the one game where he shouldn't have because they were playing the #1 pass defense.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I have always said it, Ben needs to throw 20 times or less. Our defense and running game should carry the load.

10. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    What QB ISN'T better with an effective run game? Even Elway won no rings until he had one. Montana had the much underrated Roger Craig to keep balance. Marino and Fouts rarely had a decent rushing game and won zero rings. Aikman had a totally dominating rushing game with Emmitt. He lost when Emmett didn't play. Pats always have somewhat of a rushing game. Ben is no different: Without a rushing threat Ben doesn't do well. The DBs can hang back in coverage making the passing game too tight.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

If anything and, as I said in another thread, Ben can get us there but this is now the "Le'Veon Bell" show.

Feed him the ball as much as possible. A better rushing attack opens up so many oppurtunities for any Quarterback sans Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees considering they seldom have good rushing attacks to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The evolution of Ben Roethlisberger.....:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  13. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    That's not right....or fair....but it is funny. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Channeling PWP?

Fwiw, I agree.

15. InBenWeTrust

InBenWeTrust Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Ben may not be playing his best ball right now but you all know we’ll be just like the Packers if he goes down. And when he retires we may very well go decades until “if” we find another QB as good as him. Hail Ben!

16. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben has had a lot of injuries so in QB years he's probably over 40. Hanging on but I think he has a few big games left in him.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Chiefs game and the Vikings game were solid enough IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you talking about last seasons knee injury or something I missed this year?

Coincidentally, during the Jags game, I said I wondered if he was hurt because he looked like he was having a hard time throwing. Naturally as soon as I said that he threw a nuts on bullet, so I dismissed the idea.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The MCL sprain in 2015. IIRC, they had to clean up other stuff when they went in. Im guessing that knee is shot.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason this offense has to run through Le'Veon Bell.

Ben can get us there but Bell has to be the driving force for us to ascend. Otherwise it will be a lost season if we do not.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ha, one of the few things we agree on :lolol:

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It definitely lines up. I don't see it happening all the time, but it was clearly a huge issue in the Jags game (including a few throws where AB bailed him out with big catches).

I didn't see many bad throws Sunday though. I think Ben had a very good game Sunday, and I don't think he was the primary cause for our inability to finish drives. AB took responsibility for the int, which agrees with the tape. That's a first down in Chiefs territory if he doesn't stop on the route. Later in the game we didn't convert when Bell wasn't able to get the final yard after catching a pass (which looked like he should have gotten easily). Then there's the formations and play calling on 1st and goal after driving 97 yards. I suppose Ben could have had a role in that decision making, but it wasn't poor passing that killed the drive.

His worst pass of the day may have been the TD to AB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It appears Ben is growing his beard back. Maybe it will give him Kiesel like powers, and improve his passing game?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    2nd time in bens career he has failed to hit 30 in his first 6 games. 2013 was the other

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And the team had a very slow start that year 2-6 after 8 games but went 6-2 their next 8 games to finish 8-8, we have a much better start this year regardless of the point production but we do need to start putting up more points...

• Like Like x 1