1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can any WR get open?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DDinAZsteel1, Oct 12, 2017.

1. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    AB gets doubled or tripled nearly every play yet Ben forces the ball in there (the last pik 6 SUnday...the replays from field level I saw...what Ben saw.....absurd he threw that). Yet no other WR's are even remotely open? How is that possible? All terrible route runners? it can't be speed cuz my man Hines was not a fast fellow and got open ALL DAY.....I just don't get it. Definitely part Ben's fault, part AB...but if dudes were running around open I have to think 7 wd get them the ball....(I realize some guys are open at time and Ben misses). but most times, nobody is open

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Predictable routes

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Plenty of people open but Ben is only allowed to throw to one receiver, so.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Unless you run 17 consecutive out patterns, how the heck can you run a predictable route?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Somebody is crushing hard on AB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Better question can our QB hit them if they are

7. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Better question can our QB hit them if they are

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Eli Rodgers can find the open zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I wonder what a better question might be...
    :hmm:

10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    No, I'm fed up with him and his antics. I don't give a **** about his personal stats, he's done nothing for this organization. Now he's got people turning on our HoF, 2 time Super Bowl Champion quarterback. Ben is going to leave feeling like Bradshaw if this keeps up because of some knucklehead.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Haley hasn’t exactly been doing us any favors in this department.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I never would have known you were fed up. It's not like you've been blowing up every thread with your dislike of AB.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Like AB or not he is by far the best talent this Team has . Ben is no longer a good QB . A good QB can hit guys coming out of the break and he can make throws to spots that throw WR'S open. Anytime a WR and DB are 1 on 1 a perfect throw can not be stopped. Teams don't have to worry about that with Ben, his throws will be off.

AB has the ability to beat 2 and 3 men and adjust and catch poor throws at the same time . It's not the other WR'S fault that Ben is now a bad QB .

As I stated a week or so ago if Eli was with Brady he would be an elite WR . If Ben could hit Bryant how many big plays would he have already? If Ben could hit JuJu in stride how many big plays would he have already ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Eli lost his job to a rookie, he was never that good.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He lost his job because Ben can't hit him in stride . There was many plays last year that Eli was 1 step away from taking it to the house. On almost all of those the ball was high or it was late . Eli would be a elite WR with Brady . He runs good routes he has good hands .JuJu is out there because he has a larger catch Radius because that is needed because of Ben.

A perfect throw is key when throwing to a smaller type slot guy. He needs the ball about belly high and right in front of him. This allows him to stay at full speed and keep his body protected . Brady is a master of that throw and Ben is 1 of the worse at it . Reaching out,reaching up, or slowing down will stop almost every big play thrown to a small slot guy . This is exactly what our slot guys must do all the time .Thus no big plays .

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He hit Eli plenty in stride last year. Eli is just terrible at yac, one of my biggest beefs with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

did you say crossing routes ? lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Do you have some of those stride clips ? So we can look at ball placement ? Funny as most PR'S are open field runners ? He did loose that job, but staff must have thought he was good in the open field ? I would like to see those clips and see if the ball was placed like I suggested above.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, Ill get right on that for you PWP. Maybe Ill find the clip of Eli tripping over his own two feet with open field in front of him.

And you're right, he did loose his job at PR as well as his job in the slot. But keep concocting stories about why its Bens fault and not Elis average abilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I remember that 1 and it is common, i see guys do it all the time. I would like to evaluate the ball placement. That is the premise of my post . From my memory Ben is high most of the time across the middle if you can show me different then ok. If not then I contend it is more Ben and his ball placement .

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Here are some highlights. He looks pretty good at catching the ball and Bens throws seem to be sharp. That was then.. This is now.

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks. Not a lot of throws right across the ball and quick . The few I counted Eli had to reach back or reach up for . I didn't see any quick throws that where placed correctly . What I did see is a WR with better than average hands and better than average yac ability .

I am open for more tape . Thanks again.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Combination of poor offensive design and QB not being accurate to deliver the ball
    where receiver can do damage. BEN needs to play 100% better. And Todd Haley needs
    to design a better game plan. Good luck with that happening.

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I like Eli and think he should get some more time. The punt return fumble was bad, but I hope he does well when he returns.

2016 YAC

Coates - 6
    Rogers - 4.5
    Brown - 3.7

Johnson - 7.7
    Green - 5.2
    Grimble - 3.9
    James - 3.1

Touissant - 14.7
    Bell - 9.1
    Williams - 6.8

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Return? Return to what? I dont think you will see much of Eli anymore unless there is an injury.