1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jesse James claims Steeler outcoached

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Oct 11, 2017.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    In an interview with J.James he claims defenses know how to play the offense. Jacksonville took away the crossing routes that they have been using. So there you have it, our coaches don't game plan against any team, they simply run a certain offense and if it doesn't work we get an egg. I always suspected that but this just confirms what most of us knew.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    "And Steelers fans, whose patience is rarely tested because the team is rarely mediocre or worse, could quickly become restless."

Florio obviously has never found his way to any of the boards I visit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they need better coaching. sarrett and meyer are the newest assistants for game planning of the opposition. meyer has 3 years as an intern at st. vincent college. thats it.

sarrett prior to coming here was an assistant line coach at duke for 4 years and a HS assistant prior to that for 3 years. thats it. these are the two that break down the opposition to give to our coordinators each week for a game plan. for one season a few years back we had nobody doing that. prior to that it was olsavsky. we used to have a couple of long time coaches doing that before. they moved on or we just got rid of them for some reason. we were winning SB's with the latter guys. we moved to less experienced coaches in those positions and it's shown. they used to be known as quality control coaches. i don't see enough experience from these guys to break down complex offenses and defenses for us to game plan properly. it's made a difference. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Back in the day "predictable" play calling was expected..... if you had better athletes, you challenge your opponent to stop you. Imagine how many of Jerome Bettis' runs were predictable...... he ran them over until they stopped him or begged him to stop crushing them. So one can argue play calling stinks, and another can say player execution stinks, both are right depending on your view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Soooooo Jesse, are you saying the coaching effort was JV! :hehehe:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    And we said the same here. Very predictable even to us fans. Bettis was also predictable but we are not the same type of players and Bell is not going to overpower tacklers like Bettis.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I want to know why Ben will not throw it to Jesse James in the middle of the field.

With Brown and Bryant on the outside and linebackers keeping tabs on Bell, there should be times James is open.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    “Jacksonville did a good job [on Sunday] taking away crossing routes, which we’ve been using the past couple of weeks. Obviously, they game-planned for that, hanging in the flat there, keeping an eye on us coming across..."
    --Jesse James

10. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think those routes are way more effective against man coverage. Unfortunately, the Jag's were mostly in zone, from what I could tell. Why we didn't adjust, I have no idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Nice clickbait :facepalm:

12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's crazy how our offense still doesn't know how to break teams when they got a single guy high. Patriots have been doing it for years. Browns did it. Bears did it. Jags did it.

13. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    haley.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I was at that debacle on Sunday. I try to pay close-ish attention to the plays as they unfold. I honestly can't say there were too many instances that I noticed that James (or anyone really) was open. The Jags did play a good game, their pass defense deserves the praise it gets. On most of the plays where a receiver was open, they were either overthrown, or forgot how to catch (Bryant).

15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The game plan was fine. If something works for you, then you keep doing it until the defence shows they can stop it. At that point you adjust to what they're doing. It's a chess game, but we were playing checkers.

The biggest problem is we threw it too much. That created a lot of the problems we had. Look at Ben's record when he throws 40+ times. It's abysmal.

Even though the jags defended the crossing routes, well timed throws can beat zone. Ben just seems unable to quickly diagnose what's happening, so he's a split second late in his read and then it's too late as the receiver is being passed off to the next defender.

Play calling was bad and Ben's play was just as bad. That's not a good combination

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I'd agree with everything except the game plan being fine. We did well with Bell in the first quarter, to go away from that in the 3rd, when we were down only 4 and ran exclusively out of a shotgun set, seems counter-intuitive. Indeed, the Jags passing D rose to the occasion and forced us into a hole we felt the need to pass out of.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    They've known it ever since NE game last year. Stop Bell, double cover Brown and you can stop the Steelers offensively because we don't really have anyone else. And our D is not good enough to win games yet.

18. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The offense moved the ball when the execution was there.

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What are you talking out......you can't be serious. Your not thoroughly impressed with those resumes...those two colleges are perennial powerhouses. Honestly with those two in charge of such a vital role of whether we win or lose on Sunday's ..... I'm shocked we ain't averaging 40.

Truthfully though I wish you never told me that.....sigh. Informative though thanks...

20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Which is utterly ridiculous because you still have Jesse, Martavis and JuJu.. They actually were throwing some in the slot to Juju.. They needed to concentrate less on AB and look for the short interim receptions.. Take what the defense gives ya. Throw the ball around to different targets and do not go away from the run game so quickly. The abandoned the run game too soon. Not sure why..

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Right now we are the only blip on what would be Chicagos perfect winless record. Just the week before the Jags gave up 240 yards on the ground to a 1 dimensional team with a bum ass QB(Jets)..you know like the same teams we lost to. Ben was claiming that we passed so much because they stacked 8and 9 in the box and combined with the fact that we wanted to exploit their single high safety look.....
    Well Ben it's even more embarrassingly sad that we couldn't throw against both those scenarios.....the excuses are just mind blowing. If Haley is the problem and we're not gonna run his system or if this is his system,we might as well let him go. I know it won't happen but maybe at least we should revisit the idea of having him going up to the booth.
    Something is rotten in Denmark and some sort of change has to be made. We need accountability out of all our players and coaches. That means our HC needs to step up in that department. If he is leaving too much up to his coordinators and these are the results we are getting...he has to step in and fix it.
    Still waiting for Tomlin to put his stamp on this team besides being our linguistic leader....
    This team needs a identity cause lately we've been getting the reputation of a non game planning,no adjustment, terrible time management, easy to run on,losing to inferior opponents on the reg,undisciplined,etc......team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wish they could limit sports stations, reporters, publications and social media. People invent and twist things to make the point they want to make. Ridiculous

23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Interesting, so the coordinators are signing off on these assistants and ultimately Mike signs off on the coordinators or simply put complete body prepped homework. Talk about community bed ****ng hahahahaha... And that's before you get to whether it's player execution or just pis poor planning.

I grew up playing under the mantra of execution wins the day, you will win if you do you're job. I believe in executions role in everything pretty much. Flip side of execution is the opposition is tasked with executing their side of things as well.

So in that spirit I'll say this...

Pitt did not execute their game plan best they could... Jax executed theirs extremely well. Pitts only adjustment, was becoming one dimensional when they didn't need too period. Jax didn't have to adjust, just further execute. Now who's game plan was easier to execute?

Easy to presume Jax's day at the office went a hell of a lot more swimmingly as their opposition did not press them to do anything other than what they were prepared to do. On offense run the ball... Game tape suggested that was their best bet. On defense neutralize the Steelers running game by stacking the box and trusting in your talented secondary to keep the passing game at bay. Well Pitt dropped the running attack way too soon after seeing decent results and did Jax's first priority of work for them by taking the threat of a running attack off the table.

According to James which without his insight, we already knew this and have for quite awhile, the O is predictable. It simply lacks creativity and proper adjustments to the varying opponents. Not surprising to think that either way the O executed, Jax already knew what to expect. Aside from the every now and then break down, they had this O on its heels all damn day after the 1st qtr.

So while I firmly believe in execution's predominant role in sports, work, life etc... I tip my hat to those that study something and figure out how to make someone's best execution inept regardless of how hard or how well the opposition tries to execute.

Take the ******* kid in the neighborhood who has a pattern of putting your trash cans into the middle of the street week in and week out screwing up everybody's routine of getting to work on time. Little bastard is crafty and fast! But unfortunately for him, he's stupid enough to do the same thing again, week in week out. His preferred attack plan is mulled over and dissected. Then the following week on trash pick up day instead of trying to run him down after the fact, you surprise him by sitting in the trash can and when he tries to move it you jump out and slap the **** out of him and then get to watch the parents slap the **** out of him as well... Exhilarating!

That folks is called executing a creative game plan after having studied the opponent... And I myself was prepared to slap the **** out of his parents on the fly if they crawfished on our plan.

Hahahahahaha all BS'n aside, simply put its the same old same. Trot the same game plan out onto the field... expecting winning results that yielded a loss the prior week. It's maddening. Execution is being played on both sides, and it's easier to execute anything planned when you know what's already coming. There is no adjustment and has not been (successes withstanding) for some time on either side of the ball, just some days it goes your way I guess. I'd really like to se this team shake things up be it packages, personnel, simply taking what is given etc... That's just on the O side of the ball.

Same can be said of the D. If you're not going to sell out to stop the run expect to get ran on period... The blue print has been laid. The Chiefs are gonna give you both run and pass and add in PA this week, unless they don't have to due to the run killing it all day. Due to Smith's play of late, I think they get their first test from a decent QB. We might finally see that secondary rank drop but only if they can stuff the run. If they stymie the run, they might just hammer the early season legendary Chiefs.

If they trot the same O plan onto the field, rest assured Reid already has that plan executed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Dobbler, if that's a true story about the garbage can, it's the best thing I've read on here all week! Genius!

25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Meh... **** happens it's a big universe. Funny how it applies to much of everything hahahahahaha

Funny thing is, I was that kid at one point. Had to outsmart myself hahahahaha