1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had your choice, would you give up on Tomlin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcitian, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    A lot of people call for the coaches heads all the time, but if it was up to you, would you get rid of Tomlin and start fresh with a new coach?

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know that give up is the right word. If I'm Art I'm evaluating what I see the team being and then sit down with Mike and see if he is willing to change his approach and if not it's time to choose a new direction.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    If I owned this team MT would be gone. I would want to wait until after the season but if this team has another stinker I am sending him packing. Now you ask what I would do well I would like to see what Munch could do with this team.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Head coaches become stale and complacent after 10 years, players tune out their motivational speeches because they have heard them all before, tomlin was happy about last season making it to the AFCC game was a win for him and kept his job safe for another year, but that isnt good enough for fans, and are the rooneys happy with just winning division titles and just getting to the AFCC game, it's early, but this team dedicated this season to dan rooney and so far they havent played like they mean it, tomlins 10 years is up and we need to get a coach with fresh ideas who is willing to make changes, and yes Munchak could be that guy players respect.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I can tell you that if Tomlin went on the market today, he would be signed today. The real issue is the Offensive Coordinator. When you have two or three of the best offensive players in the league and a veteran QB, it is the responsibility of the coordinator to make it all work in sync. His play calling is predictable and easy to defend. Tomlin has done an outstanding job during his tenure in Pittsburgh, his playoff appearances and SB win are indicative of good coaching. If you think the Cowboys, Giants, Bengals, Browns, Vikings or Tampa wouldn’t snatch him up your not thinking clearly. He is a proven winning coach who drafts very well.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Munchak failed in a big way as ahead coach with the Titans. He was an outstanding player and is a great position coach, being a head coach is a different story.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Generally yes. Bellicheck would be an exception but he obviously made a deal with the devil so I wouldn't count him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No

But I'm with thorn058

9. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    So at this point would you say that you'd never give him up? never let him down?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I can understand the frustration people are having, I feel the same way. However, the coaching carousel is not the answer. This coach has been in the playoffs 7 out of 10 seasons, the championship game at least three times, been in two SB’s and won one. Stack that against other coaches in the league. There are teams like the Cowboys who would do anything to have that type of success. It’s hard to win in this league and he has done just that. The players we have drafted have been outstanding: Brown, Sanders, Shazier, Hayward, Bell, DeCastro and others. And those have all been from the bottom of the rounds, the Steelers have not had a top 14 pick since he’s been there. We’ve had a lot of success through good coaching and personnel decisions. Be patient, people said the same thing after the loss in Miami last year. Keep the faith!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I say give Tomlin a chance to draft the next franchise QB. Cowher accomplished this. We were all annoyed by 2004 with Cowher's choking in AFC Championship games, but he and Colbert delivered with the drafting of Polamalu and Roethlisberger. We Steelers fans are spoiled. Maybe TJ Watt is the "Polamalu" and [unknown QB, not yet drafted] is the next Ben.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    No, but I'd consider a change at Offensive Coordinator or at least bring in someone to do the play calling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Mike Tomlin? No. I still wonder who gave the okay within the Steelers Video department upon challenging two of the most boneheaded calls this season but outside of that, I have no issues with him.

Todd Haley on the other hand, would be under serious consideration for me. I have long been more on the supportive side but now am beginning to understand why so many had or have soured on him.

I understand that coaches coach and players play. I understand execution and fundementals dictate success or failure upon playcalling. I understand that, in previous years sans last season, Haley has not had his offense at full capacity.

However, why is it we have been not up to par in the redzone since 2013? I do not understand this myself. Even worse, for the first eight weeks of 2016, we were top 10; 8th if I recall. At seasons end, we were 16th.

Here are the rest:

2015: 13th

2014: 19th

2013: 16th.

Again, I understand that players have to execute. If anything, that generally is where a majority of the issues originate. Within the same vein, in Sunday's contest against Jacksonville within their own red zone, why are we passing it three times over? It was like I was watching Super Bowl XLIX all over again in the final seconds minus the turnover.

Arguably the games best back and you elect to pass on three attempts? The red zone no less? Really?

Todd Haley's seat is still likely cool as of now but I would imagine that repeated instances like this previous Sunday will turn up the heat within the Front Office a bit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm pretty done with Haley. I contemplated whether he would have more value with a new QB who is more apt to run the game plan.... then I thought about empty sets on 1st and goal and said "what $&&"ing game plan?" Yeah, I think we can do better there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Only will take the emperor over Mike. Haley has to go though.

16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    My question is,is it Haley or team culture because we saw similar things under BA as well.

17. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    is never gonna run around and desert us?

18. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    I always enjoyed the young Cowher that was full of pi$$ and vinegar.
    These kids need some fire under their a$$'s and what we have now just isn't getting it done.
    I would be searching at seasons end.

19. Steelcitian

Sep 6, 2017
    Never gonna make him cry, never gonna say goodbye
    Never gonna tell him a lie and hurt him…

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Team culture or Ben culture?

• Like Like x 1
  21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm thinking team coming from Tomlin. I remember being excited about Haley because he was an x's and o's type who would play the chess match, who could make a solid game plan to attack teams and make adjustments like in the SB. Then he gets here and that just disappeared like we saw with BA and maybe it has a lot to do with Ben but when he was out with injury they didn't change it either. I don't know it's like they look at tape and make a plan to just work on what went wrong the week before but not a plan to attack the weeks opponents.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    X1000

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Nope

24. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I think the switch was made from Bruce because the QB was getting hit a lot and they wanted to change the offensive approach. It has gotten better and they did very well towards the end of last year. I really believe that the defense in in a transition period, Dick left because they wanted to move away from the “zone” pass defensive approach. We simply have to get pasted the patriots because their QB can pick zone defenses apart. After Dick left, they have been trying to change personnel to be able to run a man-coverage defense when needed. I think they are beginning to jell as a unit and Watt could be a pick for the ages. I think we will finish strong and get into the tournament.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steelcitian

Sep 6, 2017
    thank you for your profound insight