1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeper pick at edge rusher

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 29, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Pretty capable in run support. Seems inconsistent getting off at the snap, whether standing up or when down. When he's late it definitely hurts him because he doesn't seem to attempt a lot of moves. Inside spin seems to be the go to. Saw a dip n rip but not very often. Worked the left and right sides, dropped in coverage, stood up, hand in the dirt...so he's got some experience with all those skills. Once NFL coaches work on his pass rush techniques, he could be a well rounded OLB in a year or two. Still a solid pick up in the second if we could get him.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Hmmm... interesting.

Within the same token though, those four meetings by the Steelers means that the interest is there for certain.

At any point however, Tre'Davious White is also in consideration. Can play outside or inside and is "SEC battle tested".

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well if we go corner in the 1st, I'd be very happy with White. I've watched a few of his games, and I think he's a really solid corner who plays really sticky man coverage.

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Samson Ebukam from eastern Washington seems to be on the radar..

Cajun

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I didn't know nothing about Rivers until I watched the Senior Bowl and he really impressed the heck out of me. He has very good numbers the last 2 years as a junior 52 tackles, 15.5 for loss, eight sacks and as a senior with 58 tackles, 19.5 for loss, and 14 sacks, which ranked second in the nation.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/derek-rivers?id=2558040

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...the-steelers-of-any-pass-rusher-in-the-draft/

As much as I like him there is no way I want him with our 1st round pick. If he ends up as our pick I think he will be good for us but I don't want him in the first and unless we trade up I don't think he will be there when we pick in the 2nd.

I really liked what I saw when I watched the clips Mac put up on Jones, man he really looks like a steal later on. That kid has a non stop motor holy cow, nice find Mac. :thumbs_up:

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yea i mentioned him a while back. pretty solid kid. get him some nfl coaching and we could have a late steal with a couple of these types. jones and ebukam. great depth to add. lot's to work with. :cool:

7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well like I said in my post never heard of this kid until the Senior Bowl and he tore it up there. What you see on DBD is fine that is your opinion I will not disagree with it but what I saw in the SB was a kid with a high motor vs some of the top talent. Kinda funny read the link I posted from NFL.com, his draft profile has both what I like and what you dislike. For example here is a strength:

Consistent, high-level production as a starter. Plays the same way from snap to snap and plays with high football character.

Weakness:

Will need to improve at the point of attack to play on the next level. Tight-hipped in his rush

So I am not sure if these guys like to cover their butts so is a player is good they are right and if they aren't they can be like yeah we saw that. I have not watched his tapes but I watched the SB and read a lot on his week down there. I am sorry but you don't get 19.5 TFL and 14 sacks by not having talent and everyone can say what they want about the level of competition that is fine but if the level is so bad why aren't there more people like that?

As far as when he could help us I have no clue but I would like to think by mid season he would have learned enough to get some game time. Also let's not forget I do not want him as our 1st rounder I said that I agree with you. What I am saying is if he ends up being our 1st rounder like it is pointed out I feel he has talent.

What is really funny is what you are saying about Rivers I have been saying about McKinley, so I get where your coming from. Guess I put a little more stock when I see players do well in the Shrine game and Senior Bowl, heck it work with Davis last year. jmo

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd hope they take a look at this guy too.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/player/karter-schult/

50 games. 192 tackles. 56 TFL. 35.5 sacks. he would most likely fair better to drop a few lbs. like chickillo did but the kid gets after it in a big way. 6-4 269 from northern iowa. it's guys like theses that make teams better quietly. buck buchanan award winner as well as many, many others..

:cool:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

well that was a great call! dude looks great so far...

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If you want to crown his ass than crown him!

Hes looking good so far, if we picked him hed look like crap :lolol:

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    So I saw that this thread was bumped, and figured I may as well reach back and give myself a good pat on the back....

• Like Like x 1