1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

my apologies

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    But you said you "knew where this was going". That's why I asked you that. The point is this. If I can't say any and every single thing I want on this board then aren't you, Ray, TTF, Elvis, and NB violating my rights?

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh bs.

And I know I wont change anyones mind but that doesnt mean I wont point out the ridiculousness of it all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don't think those rights apply here of the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And thats exactly where I knew you were going, something I illustrated 2 posts ago.

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Ok. So you're saying that you don't violate my rights by telling me there are certain things permitted and not permitted here?

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sure, go ahead but there are repercussions if its serious enough.

I said last year if the NFL wants to put an end to this that they should make it a rule during the offseason like the NBA. They didnt, so no repercussions.

This forum has board rules, if you violate them....

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Here's my ultimate question. If Mr. Rooney told the Steelers to get on the field and stand for the anthem would he be violating their rights?

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    OMG, blount, if you are such a student of the constitution then stop trying to spin it! You know they have the right to protest, ffs.

Im out, have fun railing against the world :wave:

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It may be B.S. to you, but there sure are a lot of people mad about it.
    Remember how mad you were when the Steelers signed Vick ( I was too) ? Did you like anyone telling you you were wrong or ridiculous for felling that way? I know you're super passionate about dogs and what Vick did probably hit home for you more than others. I remember you threatening to not watch games when he played. Was that all just B.S?
    Or is this just B.S because it's not an important issue for you?

This issue really hits home for some more than others. No need to diminish the effects this has on them.

People feel very strongly about what happened Sunday. It was less than three days ago. Let them be mad. If things go well Sunday I'm sure we'll all start to heal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Short answer is no.

• Like Like x 1
  11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    "Congress" shall make no law. "Congress". COMPANIES however CAN have policies and if you want to work there you will submit to them or you can find somewhere else to work. If I walk in a business in my browns and start preaching then I'm gonna not be working at UPS anymore. Does that mean UPS violated my First Amendment rights? No. It means that I surrendered them by my own consent to work there. You know what would ACTUALLY violate my rights? If the GOVERNMENT or "Congress" in the words of the great James Madison, took action against me for those things. So UPS doesn't violate my rights, you guys don't violate my rights, and the owners wouldn't be violating anyone's rights if they force them to stand. However, if you believe the owners WOULD be violating their rights then you must also believe that TTF is violating mine as well and we all know that isn't true. The First Amendment was written to protect us from the government. NOT our employers. The Second Amendment was written to protect us from the government and as a show of good faith on the part of the congress. The 3rd was to protect us from the government like what we escaped from under the crown. The Fourth was to make us free in our persons from the government. What do they need to to come in to your house and why? The 5th was to protect us against the government. Maaaaaybe you're starting to sense a pattern here? It's nothing personal ultimately dude but to say that people's rights are being violated is incredibly ignorant from a Constitutional standpoint. Their rights would only be violated if they face consequences from the government for their speech. Not from their employer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Exactamundo. The long answer is also no. However, if you're working from an unConstitutional perspective then the answer is yes. I'm just gonna venture a guess and say the same people who are saying the owners DON'T have a right to tell players to stand would also say they DO have a right to tell Tebow to not kneel. Funny how speech is actually the second American freedom but when people talk about the First Amendment they only wanna talk about the "speech" part and how it can't be "violated" but forget the other two guaranteed freedoms in the First Amendment.

13. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    So then your anger should be at the league. Not individual players or even teams. I know this is obvious, but there is no rule players must stand. The NFL is perfectly within their right to make that a condition of employment. But they haven't.

I suppose individual teams could as well, unless there's some collective bargaining agreement that prevents individual teams from setting conduct rules outside of league rules. But again, no such rule exists.

<self edit - can't seem to word it in a way not too political>

And that is where many people find themselves. Disagreeing with the demonstrator's choice or form of protest. Maybe even disagreeing with what they're protesting. But fully prepared to defend their right to do so. Because it seems that this whole outrage isn't over what's being protested. It's at the protest itself. As if they don't have that right, or shouldn't have that right. Labeling them as traitors, unamerican, filth, thugs, etc. It's a peaceful protest. That is what makes America. Voicing your dissent against what you see as injustice or urging reform. They may be boorish. They may be rude. You can certainly see it as disrespectful to those who honor the flag, or those who died for it (even if that isn't their motive). But it doesn't make them less patriotic. I'm sorry, but wishing the country to be a better place is not unpatriotic. They could be wrong about that. That's above my pay grade to decide. But their intentions are not to harm or disparage the country.

The bright side (I hope) is that last Sunday was probably a one off thing. This will cool down if we let it. Hell, I'll wager that 99.9% of us couldn't name half of the 8 players kneeling before last Sunday. I also expect the NFL will make a rule change. But I'm not sure if they can do it mid-season. Until then, the best way to put out the fire of protest is to IGNORE IT. Don't feed it. Ignoring them takes away their power. Railing against them? That's like throwing gasoline on a fire.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'll chirp in and say no.

First the board has rules, if we want to participate, we follow the rules. I myself have rightfully been sent to my room for time out a few times.

Second, freedom of speech does not indicate you can say anything anywhere. Remember the old adage about yelling fire in a crowded theatre.

How about them Steelers?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  16. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    This rant means nothing if you don't cite to the Federalist Papers.

17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Believe in what you believe and make your own choices. Life is all about choices. The passion here is noteworthy and if the rants help people to process their feelings and get things off their chests, then so be it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I hope the Steelers players aren't as distracted as the fans are this week.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, as you like to say, couldnt be more irrelevant. There was no denying that Vick killed and tortured dogs. There is a debate as to whether the Steelers were being disrespectful to the flag. Used to be that kneeling was disrespectful, but nobody was. Oops, Ill just carry on with my anger anyway, despite the fact they were all standing, Chick with his hand on his heart, Cam bowing his head, Ben in the same pose he has every Anthem. And then of course there is the hero himself saying its insulting to say that his teammates were being disrespectful, oooooh, another wrench in my anger.

[​IMG]

Those unpatriotic bastards.how dare they!

My response to Glenn can be applied to you as well professor. I'll add though that, too bad for you that the owners were united with the players and supported them fully on this. This wasnt even directly about Kaps protests, this was about something else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Thanks for totally missing the point.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if they want to protest then maybe they should quit playing in the

NATIONAL football league

in the AMERICAN football conference or the NATIONAL football conference

in stadiums funded by taxpayer dollars

and secured by police that are taxpayer funded

and give up those big salaries paid by taxpaying consumers that live in this COUNTRY and are blessed to do so.

we saw what happened when these very police that they are protesting said they would not work the games in Cleveland for security, they backtracked and stood arm in arm with them.

if they want to protest, don't do it in a league that the very name has NATIONAL or AMERICAN in it. wouldn't that make a better point for these highly paid players if they truly felt strong enough about this issue.

yea , well don't hold your breath when it truly hits them in their pockets. same with the owners and coaches.

jerry jones had a whole day to watch the effect from Sundays debacle to script a response, so he's not any better, just had more time to think about it. he did however see Sunday that it was going to affect the bottom line of his.

the steelers also tried to do damage control because they know there is a lot of money at stake for them.

it's simple protest for a point but don't let it affect my wallet.

same as everything else Follow The Money and it will lead to the truth and injustices that they are protesting.

hiding or burying their heads in the sand is the same thing.

Donald Trump is still one man in this vast country. he gave his opinion on the matter. he didn't say he was creating a law to fire anyone. he doesn't speak for everyone. it was his opinion. the country will still be here after he's gone. police will still do their jobs after he's gone. some police will still target certain people after this. this country and most of it's people support the rights of this country and most of it's people. to take this to a level of racism is way out of line. this country has done nothing but make us the freest people on earth and given the world one of the best places to live ever. if not, so many wouldn't be trying to get here. embrace the best thing in your life that is the US of A and the majority of it's people. long live our country.

:flag::cool:

• Like Like x 3
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Didnt miss anything but Im done talking about this.

Time to get back to football. We gave you guys a chance to vent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.