1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chickillo & Watt

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Sep 12, 2017.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm starting to like the Chickillo/Watt OLBs as our starters. Is this our future? or Dupree still in the picture? I'm getting so tired of Dupree injured all the time.

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    When Dupree is healthy he a lot better than Chickillo. It's really not even close.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Dupree has to show me some consistency and in order to do so....he's got to stay healthy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    *sigh* Shazier complaints 2.0

Howd that turn out???

Bud is the future, Chick adds nice depth, good player, I like him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    When healthy, Bud is head and shoulders above Chickillo. Nothing against him, love the way he plays, but Bud is a stud.

6. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Dupree > Chickillo
    Nice to have 3 young OLBs with alot of potential. Chickillo could carve out his role as #3 OLB for the next several years. No need for us to draft an OLB this upcoming draft. I think Keion Adams has potential (OLB, right?)

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Watt just named AFC Rookie of the Week! First of many honors hopefully over a long and distinguished career in Black & Gold.

Don't have a link - just received a text alert from CBS sports.

Edit - link shown below and yes defva - it is NFL Rookie of the Week - not just AFC - even better!

A few typos in the article though - it says: "You get the impression that this won’t be the first such honor Watt gets this season." I think they meant the "last".

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/12/t-j-watt-named-nfl-defensive-rookie-of-the-week/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Its nice to have Chickillo but like most you said Dupree is head and shoulders better then him. Its still nice to have Chickillo for when Dupree is hurt.
    But Dupree, if healthy, will be a much better player then Chickillo

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Nfl defensive rookie of the week

10. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well deserved indeed keep it coming!!

11. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    remember that when Chickillo's current contract expires, I'll be surprised if he resigns with the Steelers as a backup. I think he'll be in high demand as a starter for another team, if he continues to improve. I don't see Chickillo remaining as a back up after next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Let me guess you are an FSU fan because you are way over valuing Chickillo. He will never be more than a back up in the NFL.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I do not understand the amount of disagree votes you received myself.

No one is stating Chickillo is not good enough to play. Far from it. Chickillo can play well enough for Dupree to get back.

What SteelHurtin is stating is that starters are starters for a reason. In the preseason, Dupree was incredible. No reason to believe he is not now after a shoulder injury. We will have to wait and see tomorrow on if he is still on the injury report.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't know about Chickillo not being good enough to start, It's possible the guy is simply better than people expected. Dupree is better than Chickillo, but it is possible they have three guys who are good enough to be NFL starters. They had that situation in the '90s with Mike Vrabel, who made an impact as a part-time player for the Steelers, then left as a free agent to become a very good starter for the Patriots.

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He went to the U......just sayin'

16. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Oh that's right for some reason I always think he went to FSU.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

To me, Chickillo has proven he can start for an NFL team much like Vince Williams has done as well. He may not be as flashy as some would like but he is a rough and ready player who can get the job done

However, the general consenus of Chickillo being a more viable option than Dupree is where a false consenus effect occurs and fallacies go flying off the handlebars as a result.

Dupree is a physical freak of nature who has now showcased he has put it together. Heck, we saw some of that manifest last season against the likes of the Bills and Chiefs in the divisional round.

Chickillo is a solid athlete but is not even in the same atmosphere Dupree is.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Will Dupree get his starting job back once he's healthy?

19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We finally look like we have a nice stable of OLB's again. Dupree was on a tear last year when he finally got healthy, it would be nice to get him back to see if he can keep that level of play consistent.

It's really nice to have guys like Chickillo though too. He comes right in and doesn't miss a beat when called upon. Gotta love it. Harrison and Moats can still play too. Loving the OLB crew.

That TJ Watt tho... I hope there's more where that came from!

20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I love the rotation and depth we have right now at OLB and I think Dupree is on the verge of stardom once he can stay on the field. I also think having JH around is a very big reason for this development, if this is his last year we have to find a spot on this staff for him.

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Wasn't Dupree the first Steeler in a long time to get sacks in 4 or 5 straight games last year.

22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    yeah, but a few of them were gimme sacks. They still count, but if you want to dig into it.

My worry is losing Chick and Harrison and then having nothing at OLB behind T.J. and Dupree.

Same with Big Red at ILB. He was in a ton and he's always around the ball.

Those are the type of guys that the Patriots used to grab and use like all-pros!

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This. Chick is starting material. It's great to have depth. Starting depth. JH could start if needed. Dupree will get his spot back if and when healthy. If you think that Chickello won't look for a starting position when his contract is up is short sighted...

24. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Bud is a stud, but it does not matter how studly of an NFL football player you are if you are wearing sweat pants on Sunday. He has been sort of injury riddled. Maybe his injury is not that bad, and they are just be careful with him. He is young still and needs these reps early to be a play maker late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Trying not to troll.. but Chickillo is the future. Dupree, if he keeps it up in the hot tub, will be a bust like Jarvis.

• Agree Agree x 2