1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Interest in Trumaine Johnson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelCity_NB, Aug 12, 2017.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I just saw where the Steelers had some talks with the Rams regarding Trumaine Johnson, according to Jason LaConfora.

A 6'2 CB with 16 career INTs.

Playing under the franchise tag @ $17 million this year coming off his least productive year in 2016.

IM guessing this was prior to the Rams picking up Sammy Watkins and trading EJ Gaines.

Anyone else feel this talk was a Trumaine Johnson for Martavis Bryant deal?

2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Rumor and a poor one at that.

We don't have the cap space for him.

Cajun

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Why tag a guy coming off his worst year? Why tag a guy if you don't want him?

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    because your it. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Woof. What a bad deal that would've been for us. An overpaid CB on a one year way too expensive contract for a huge difference maker on offense that is still on his rookie deal for two more years.... nope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thousand times this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I like Trumaine Johnson but that franchise tag number is steep. Then again, the talks could have centered around Johnson's willingness to reach a deal with a new team if traded. There has been a lot of talk this offseason about how the Steelers missing piece is a top CB. (Deion Sanders etc). Ben's retirement talk may be creating some urgency by the FO for this year's SB run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    The most interesting part of the "story" is the motivation for seeking a veteran corner. Perhaps the injuries to Sutton and Burns are worse than we've been led to believe. When asked about Burns, Tomlin said Burns was "in good spirits," which sounds like he's describing someone who is dealing with something major.

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It would be nice , but the price seems way to high for us to manage ? Is a true #1 CB worth a 1st. round pick ? For sure, but how could we pay for him ? Maybe Ben would restructure being this is probably his last season anyway ...

Might have to restructure more than 1 player to make it work...

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would trade Coates and Cockrell for Johnson, but Johnson would have to sign a longterm deal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I know this is not going to be popular...but L Bell for Johnson? I love Bell...but if he balked at 12 mill a year...almost a full 4 mill higher than the highest paid RB contract currently...what is the chance of signing him next year?

He says he wants to be paid like the #1 RB AND the #2 WR....I guess he thinks RB's just are supposed to carry the ball...and pass catching is not a part of his job requirements....Might as well add on being paid like the #6 OL since he picked up a blitz or two....heck...even the #3 QB contract too since he throw a pass once.

I wouldn't do it...but if I was in those meetings with his agent...and I don't feel I will be able to sign him long term....I might try and get something for him now...than have to tag him in back to back years....and lose him anyway.

I love Bell...but I might remind him of a little WR named Mike Wallace

HACK

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Given our window, we need Bell the next 2 years.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Rams have Todd Gurley, I doubt they want to trade for Bell.

14. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    slow news day. I think reporters ought to be given a day off by the newspapers instead of making up stuff to fill the sports page.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They should be looking at the safety position.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats being a little obtuse. You know he takes it to a whole different level. He put up close to a 1000 yards rec one season.

Take away wanting a big pay day and nothing remotely the same about these two. Bell is the best at his position, Wallace was never close to being the best. Bell will continue to tear it up no matter where he plays and get his payday.

Team has a much better chance winning it all with him on the team than Johnson.

17. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I'm not so sure about the tear it up part. Our line does play into it. Do you think he could do his stop and go if the line was collapsing around him?

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We're not the only team with a good line. And when Bell entered the league the line wasn't as good as it is now and Bell still ran well. Bells success is due more to him than the line, IMO. The two definitely compliment each other, though.

Also, line or no line, Bell is a dual threat and that can be utilized by any team he goes to. So yes, I believe Bell will still be just as potent if he leaves the Steelers.

19. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Oh I'm not saying it's all the line but have a top 3 line in front of you doesn't hurt. Look at Murray. Was an absolute beast in Dallas and then lost that very good Cowboy line and hasn't come close to matching what he did in Dallas.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. BigD43

BigD43 Member

Sep 4, 2015
    I am baffled why so many of you would be against obtaining him. If we're going to beat New England, it would entail obtaining another solid CB.

In regard to the payroll, we could restructure contracts. Ben could very well retire at the end of the season our window is closing.

21. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Lets also not forget....even if our line is "only" one of the good lines in the NFL....Its harder to stack the box when you got Ben, Ab, Bryant, and really any other WR out there.

and Mike Wallace was considered "THE MAN" at that time because Ben made him the man....the Steelers were trying hard to sign him...and only gave AB the money because Wallace wanted more. The Dolphins paid him a LOT OF MONEY only to find out you need a line and a QB to let him use that speed deep.....then Minn also learned that....Now the Ravens are trying to squeeze the last bit of juice out of him.

Ben makes a lot of guys look good....Is Bell a great player...you bet he is.....But running, catching, blocking, even half back pass is all part of his job description...you don't get paid piecemeal in the NFL. You take the HIGHEST PAID contract by 4 mill...and you move on......The Pats seem to win without Bell....looks like a good QB and good WR can get it done with just an OK RB

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Bell wouldn't tear it up on a bad team like the Jets IMO.

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  24. BigD43

BigD43 Member

Sep 4, 2015
  25. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Richard Sherman could probably still be had...the asking price might would probably be about the same...but Sherman isn't making 17 mill and only have 1 year on his contract....he has 2 years at about 11 mill a season.

HACK