1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will The Steelers Win A Super Bowl Before Ben Retires?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Jul 14, 2017.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    For it to become a reality:

1. We have to take all of our regular season games seriously. We've lost some games in the past that we should've won.

2. We need to find a way to beat New England. No matter what it takes, we have to find and expose New England's weakness. Yes, even Brady aka the G.O.A.T has a weakness. Putting some extra pressure on their O-line would help, but the most important thing is to match them field goal for field goal or by touchdown for touchdown if our defense struggles to stop them. By matching them every time they score, this shows that we can keep the score either tied or close when we're on offense.

3. We need to stay healthy to the best of our ability. Now, I understand that injuries can still happen no matter what, but it's always a pain for every team when one of their big name players gets injured. Maybe play safer or focus more on injury prevention near the end of the regular season and in the playoffs?

On an extra note, our young players are still growing. I do believe that our team will become better in a few years. It would probably happen when Ben is on the final year of his contract.

Am I missing anything or did I get it right?

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Of course you do mean in addition to the two he's already won?

Need to go back and see how the Steelers finally beat Buffalo and Jim Kelly in 1994 (I believe) after losing to them so many times in the playoffs and regular season. It can be done, but I'm not optimistic vs Marsha and Billicheat.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    of course we can. this year. :herewego!::smiley1::cool:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I vote no. But our defense will become elite, while maintaining a great O line to have the next qb and win it. bank it

5. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    If they can find a way to get past Brady and the Patriots I think they can, but after seeing how the Patriots destroyed Atlanta coming back from so far behind in the second half of the SB last year, they seem unbeatable with Brady at QB. Get rid of Brady and the Patriots can be beat even with Bellacheat.

6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    And when that all happens.........BigDobbsHotness will look prophetic. :hehehe:

• Like Like x 2
  7. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I would suggest praying a lot in addition to the above.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We need a preacher on this board...

9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    BFT your services are being summoned... Quit holding out on us bro! Hahahahahahahha

10. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I dunno, man... Everyone says a shootout is NOT the right strategy against NE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think #7 has 1 more magical season in him, this season. Barring injuries to key personnel.

Stairway to seven here we go.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    BFT praying. shootout. pitchers duel. summoning up kevo von. coastal snipping belicheat. all of the above. whatever it takes. :hehehe::smiley1::cool:

14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think it's odds against. Let's say the Steelers have a 20% channce of winning the SB in each of the next 3 yrs, (that's about what NE's Vegas odds are now, and they're the favorite). The chances of winning one over those 3 yrs is still below 50%.

And I suspect 3 yrs from now Ben will be largely be finished as an elite QB.

I wouldn't be surprised if they win it all again or even this yr, but it won't be a shock if they don't.

The D will have to be better, and this 'great' offense better quit stalling in the red zone, and play better on the road.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    got curious about our performance when I read this: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

What was esp concerning is the dive we took in the last 3 (not sure if that include playoffs or just regular season).... we came in at 28/32 (16/32 for the full season).

How 'bout them raiders (I live near SF and was happy to see them having some success finally). It's kinda sad they couldn't stick around IMO

16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    To be honest. It all depend on Ben. He's a vet with the best wr in the game, a great seasoned oline, one of the best rb's in the game...and complementary players all around him. He should be able to disect the best of defenses...ala Brady. Yes, I said it...Brady!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    we are primed for a run........ until ben retires, it's super bowl or bust

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I agree whole heartily about taking all of our games seriously. Tomlin has been burned nearly every season including the most successful ones by losing games we should have won, down playing the competition and flat out being owned by the purple Harbaugh at times. Taking care of these game and there is no way we face New England repetitively at their house in January. It's even more important this season to take care of business for each and every game so that we don't have to take that path again. Losing to them in AFCCG this season was the most disappointing loss I can remember in a long time cause we had the team to beat them but showed up with a horrible game plan. We still do have the team to beat them but if the Steelers couldn't figure it out last year, then all the headset debacles and hotel alarms will not matter anyways. They simply have our number up there and it's in all the coaches and player heads already. It's just not the path to take, too much risk which yields low results. Therefore we NEED the #1 Seed and that needs to be the mind set from the get go.

I honestly believe we have a great team that is hungry for another Championship while we still have a great core of players. This window will not last long neither and they better put their best foot forward in order to make NE have to come to Heinz Field. Going back up there will bring about the same results from this ugly pattern of failure. Get the AFCCG at home at all costs and Ben will retire with another ring. More importantly, Harrison will be a Champion also and Gooddell won't have to asked James what finger he wants to put the ring on!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I sure hope so. I remember the drought after Bradshaw all too well.

I think our best chance to win one in the next several years still lies with Ben, the Steelers just need to avoid the injury bug as best as possible and work out some of the red zone issues and late game defense issues.

20. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    I hope I am wrong, but I'd have to say on the balance of probabilities alongside the inability to beat NE - No.

Far too many let down games to get the #1 seed when the cheats have the luxury of a joke division to get fat on.

We'd have 5 already in the Ben era if not for them.

But sadly, in this life cheats always prosper.

21. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I'm gonna say no. Ben winning two and getting to three is a GREAT career, but I think he's taking us as far as he is going to take us. Hope I'm wrong. If he finds a way to beat New England I will be the first to happily admit I was wrong. However, I'm curious who the next QB1 will be. I'm tired of the Landry Jones Show every August, to say the very least.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i have a feeling that game at our house late in the season may be quite crucial to the #1 seed in the afc this year. we need to be healthy and send a message then. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Your right. The only thing that is uncontrollable are injuries. They screwed us up the last two years, maybe the third year is a charm? Without any devastating injuries to key players the Steelers should be able to make a strong run at #7. I got in at 18-1 for 1,000 on the Steelers winning the Super Bowl and 3,000 on them winning over 10.5 games. It will be an interesting season.

24. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I would like to think we would have a pretty good chance for the next couple years. This year might be a little too soon as our defensive secondary is young. They obviously improved in the later part of the season. As long as Kieth Butler isn't willing to change schemes up, and we can't get pressure on Brady they will still be the bump in the road. I think Vince Williams is going to have a break out year this year in regards to QB sacks/pressures. Everyone thinks it will be hard for him to fill Timmons shoes, and don't get me wrong he is good, but I think Vince has a bit more speed, and that will help him break out this year.

Sorry I got a little side tracked there, but I am really excited about Williams getting a chance. I think he is underrated.

Here We Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No. Steelers are not as good as advertised. I see other teams besides Patriots in the AFC (Texans, Raiders, Broncos) rising up with better chances at the Super Bowl than the Steelers. There's too many personnel issues on D that don't match up against teams like Patriots, Packers and Seahawks. Those teams will beat the Steelers on any given Sunday. Also, the Steelers offense is too inconsistent... which ends up biting them when the playoffs arrive and seeding is decided. The offense literally takes entire quarters off. The Steelers never learned to keep the pedal to the metal... and put teams away. It was a problem under Cowher and it remains a problem with Tomlin.