1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do the Steelers have a title caliber defense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jul 9, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  2. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Given the way they roll over and play dead on 3rd and long, certainly not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No, But if the offense does what it is suppose to we should out score these opponents. LOL

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we won't know until we see them. :cool:

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not sure what story you have highlighted there 6. :cool:

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm thinking we should be better than last year:

Burns, Hargrave and Davis all have a year under their belt and should make the next step.

Dupree should be better.

Watt should be an upgrade over JJ.

One more DB and I would think championship caliber is a possibility.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It's a little early to say what the 2017 defense is going to be

8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Steely McBeam would be an upgrade over JJ but I digress...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think we can if the edge guys perform. First and foremost is for Dupree to take the next step and be the guy that his raw talent and work ethic suggest he can be. Second is for a 1-2 punch of JH and TJ making things tough on the left tackle. If we can generate consistent pressure on the edge, it will allow the rest of the pieces to come together. We already have capable (and young and improving) interior rushers. If the edge guys can dictate protection schemes, it will open things up for the interior guys and/or take away an eligible receiver from the offense for protection. Here's looking at you Bud.

It would also help to improve our interior pass defense, mainly the slot and 4th WR/TR coverage. I think we're ok with Cockrell (Mr. underrated) and a developing Burns on the outside. Where we really struggled was covering the interior guys and underneath zones. We've clearly attempted to improve in that area with the additions of Sesabaugh and Sutton (plus the potential for Golson to emerge in that area). We'll see if the new guys are up to the task. Also not to be overlooked, we rarely took Timmons off the field in passing situations, though we probably should have. I expect to see VW come off the field for an extra DB a lot on passing downs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Injuries will tell the tail..

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yep. with cam and bud all year we would have been a different defense last year as well. one thing it did do was get some guys added work that wouldn't have gotten it otherwise. that helps this year.:cool:

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd also like to see some creativity and game planning to exploit other teams weaknesses as well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Potentially, and the key here being potential, yes they do. IF the offense plays up to it's very high potential, then the defense only needs to be good, not great, and that should be enough to have a shot at a championship. And given the talent on the defensive side of the ball, barring injury there is no reason why they can't be at least a good defense.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Essentially speaking, how fast can TJ develop, how well will Artie be and most importantly, how soon can the defense gel?

The sooner the better.

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Our DB's are not great. Its all about the front 7 staying healthy and getting after it.

17. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    We all know which team it is they need to game plan around to beat. We all know which team the Steelers are gonna need to dethrone in January to advance. Therefore it doesn't matter how well the D does this season. It's only going to matter how they perform when they meet you know who late in the season and likely in the playoffs too. Until they finally beat the team that shall not be mentioned....well it just doesn't matter. At least not to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

My goodness somebody is thinking out of the box. I think we have a winner here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    thanks 6. i agree with what they say. people have to remember this group is young. the biggest thing that will help this defense is martavis bryant, jesse james and grimble on offense added to what we have. it could make teams press and become one dimensional to play catch up. keeping brady off the field is how you beat them. health come playoff time is key and getting home field advantage would be nice. don't stumble during the season and that is possible. :cool:

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    as they age together we should see that. so many young players still learning to become a vet defense. field time together should help this. they are getting there. :cool:

21. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Unfortunately, the offense rolls over and plays dead inside the 20 and settles for a field goal or a BB interception.

22. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Outside the 20 the offense works. Inside the 20 not so much. So out scoring anyone may be problematic.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I agree with this article that fans have a defeatist attitude when it comes to the patriots, the reason I dont is because it only takes one win against them to snap out of it, sorta reminds me of when we played the colts in the playoffs as big under dogs and won, I feel we will have a dominating top 5 defense that will put the fear in NE when we play them and we can beat any body this year and we will, it's all about mental attitude and from what i'm seeing and hearing from players they will fear no one in 2017........

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    No. We continue to neglect the secondary.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Half of our first and second draft choices over the last 3 years have been secondary. Hardly a neglect.