1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3rd Season - Fargo..........................

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, Mar 12, 2017.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Man Blood Simple is so awesome. I'm not sure if you know this but most Coen movies exist in sort of a Coen "universe" a lot of their films borrow from things in their other films. The Big Lebowski has a scene in it that is literally directly from Blood Simple when The Dude looks in his rearview and sees an old VW Beetle sitting there. That shot is directly from Blood Simple. There are also a lot of their films that mention "Hudsucker" and they even have The Hudsucker Proxy but in Raising Arizona and Barton Fink Hudsucker is mentioned. Also last year in Fargo they played the Kenny Rogers song "Just Dropped In" which is also used in The Big Lebowski when the Dude has a bad trip. It's weird but a lot of the references in Fargo come more from other Coen films besides Fargo. I think the show is great even if you don't have a deep Coen knowledge but if you do it definitely makes it a better and more immersive experience. My wife likes it but isn't a Coen devotee like I am. Sometimes I will bust out laughing and she will have no clue what I think is so funny but it will be because of a great reference thrown in. Noah Hawley is a huge fanboy too and you can definitely tell.

2. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well that was definitely a surprise. I can't believe they done that that quick.

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You mean wasting Ray so soon? Yeah that was a shocker at this point in the series. And the whole time Emmit just stood there and watched him bleed out never grabbing a towel or a shirt to try and stop it. Well now it leaves Ray's girlfriend to exact revenge on the guys who beat her up.

4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I really didn't expect that to happen. I'm starting to develop a conspiracy theory in that a lot of this is going to wind up being a total fantasy. Varga said "maybe I don't even exist" and Gloria can never get technology to work for her at all. Automatic sinks or doors never work for her and also Ennis Stussy basically didn't really exist either. I'm not saying I think that's gonna happen but just that it wouldn't surprise me. This season seems to be a lot about false or mistaken identity and Varga even talked about how we simply just "perceive reality" or something like that. But mistaken identity is a common Coen theme and especially in the Big Lebowski. They mistake the Dude's identity and pee on his rug and the detective working for the Kanootzen's also mistakes identity and they mistake the toe they get in the mail as Bunny's when really the Nihlists had cut off one of their own. Plus when the Dude's car gets stolen and they find Larry Sellers' homework in it and confront him Walter thinks that he has spent all the money on that Corvette and beats it with a jack and the the neighbor runs out saying "THAT'S MY CAR! I JUST BOUGHT IT LAST WEEK! I'LL KILL YOUUUUUUR CAR!!!!" and then beats the crap out of the Dude's car thinking it's Walter's car. LOL!!!!!!!

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    This can't be......there's always that disclaimer at the beginning that says.....This....is....a....true....story!

So who's dream/nightmare will it belong to? Emmit? Ray? Not two brothers - just one a schizophrenic guy? The guy being interrogated in Berlin at the very beginning? Or like you've said before....The Man Who Wasn't There. Or maybe Jerry Lundergard (William Macy) who's been in prison for 30 years in North Dakota?

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Mr. Wrench!!!! YES!!! I hope he's still alive and able to fight. There was also another callback from season 1 when he told him in the library to just take his gun and go. Malvo done Gus the same way on season 1 when he pulled him over and he told him "there be dragons here" and all that nonsense and freaked him out. Gus then went on to feel guilty about letting him go and the same thing will probably happen again this season when Gloria finds out that her guy let somebody like that go.

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I had to do a little research to recall some of the things you were talking about but now I remember. Wrench was also featured at the end of Season 2 as one of the kids playing baseball (at age 7). And the wolf at the end of tonight's show is a carryover of the Peter and the Wolf story told at the beginning of last week's show (wolf = Vargas) which was narrated by none other than Billie Bob. The wolf symbolizes evil and danger for everyone who encounters Vargas.

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm curious if Varga's company isn't the company that Mike Milligan was working for too. Also it was sweet to see DJ Qualls as a cop again after his cameo as a cop in Breaking Bad when he busted Badger.

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You may be on to something, cause when Milligan was being shown his new cubicle and told what his new position entailed, it was all about new corporate involvement rather than drugs, gunrunning and hookers - who knows - still a lot of rough and tumble but now with accountants and attorneys.

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The only problem with my theory though is that Malvo went in there in 2006 and shot the place up and since this story takes place in 2010 I don't know if my theory could work.

11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Guess we'll find out - at this point, anything goes - it's becoming so ethereal. I feel so bad for the two female cops - don't you hate the new County Sheriff Chief - kind of hoping one of Vargas' guys takes him out.

On a different note (Better Call Saul/BB) - I've been watching a lot of Clint Eastwood movies lately and in Absolute Power, our friend Hector plays a bartender/crime partner of Clint's jewel thief character. Also enjoyed a very young Jeff Bridges with Clint in Lightfoot and Thunderbolt.

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    It's funny because with all the classics Eastwood is in I grew up loving Every Which Way But Loose the best. LOL!

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Insane episode! Couldn't get enough of the Lebowski love! Also they even threw a little love in there for Inside Llewyn Davis. They also really played up the Jacob and Esau angle a lot more in this episode with him quoting from Obadiah. Obadiah prophesied against the Edomites which were direct descendants from Esau. Also there was that Gentile/Jew dichotomy when he made him see Jews that he had murdered as well. Awesome episode. Love they worked in a VW again since it has so many connections to so many Coen films going all the way back to Blood Simple.

14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

What the $&&$)):))$:$:?: did I just watch? Mr Wrench is back. Okay

The bowling alley wth? The same guy from Gloria's trip to la is in a bowling alley in Fargo. He then proceeds to basically tell Nikki she's dead and in limbo waiting for judgement. However, he likes her so he lets her go in a green vw beetle.

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    At least now we know how the opening scene of the pilot ties in. Although, at this point I can't say the opening scene was particularly necessary.

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Man I went in to fanboy euphoria when they got to the bowling alley. The only thing that could have made it better would have been if The Dude's car was sitting out front and parked in a handicap space. LOL! I'm still sticking to my theory that none of this is happening though. There have been so many things pointing towards that possibility. Varga even mentioned again last night about things "not being real" or something like that. Although Fargo has always ventured in to surrealism though even going back to season one when Tripoli saw fish raining on him and things like that. The Coens love surrealism and it's clear that Noah Hawley is a huge fellow Coen fanboy.

17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Can't forget the hovering UFO over the motel shootout to end season 2.............

And what was up with Emmitt and the mustache? The bowling alley has to be Limbo - everyone walks in all beat up and bloody and no one seems to notice or care.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I think she is messing with him on Ray's behalf and making him feel "haunted".

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Had a moment of clarity tonight. That storybook they showed in season 2? Well it was an Ennis Stussy storybook and all that has happened from season one and two and now are all Ennis Stussy stories. Anyone agree? Also I called it that the crime syndicate that Milligan worked for was tied in to this whole thing and she confirmed it tonight when she said she was from St. Louis. My Stussy theory would explain the UFO's since he was a sci-fi writer. Also I loved the Lebowski moment when Varga walked in carrying that briefcase and I was like "the ringer!" and she was like "I bet that has your dirty undies in it..." I knew that's what they were getting at. LOL!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Still not quite sure where it's all headed - but the Mary McDonnell (Goldfarb) character is one of the creepiest things I've seen in a while - the witchiest smile ever portrayed. All I know is I will never knowingly eat Rocky Road ice cream from a carton again! :puking2::puking 4::puking: I loved the "chess match" between Nikki and Varga. She's a badazz.

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
  22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Might be the series finale. Noah Hawley apparently said he may never make another season.

23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    So Rev, is that the ending you were expecting? Varga just sort of fades away right in front of Gloria? All other loose ends are tied up (terminated) and the only unknown is - does Varga go to prison and does he escape from the arm of the law once again? "The past is unpredictable, but the future is certain."

I thought Gloria was one of the better characters in the TV versions so far but the rest of Season 3 wasn't as engaging as the first two. If it continues after this year, perhaps someone new can take over for Noah H. I'd be curious how this year rated vs 1 and 2. Well Ok then.

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah the end of it was definitely a call back to when Malvo told Gus that he was gonna walk right out of that jail in just a moment. This was definitely the weakest season of Fargo. There just wasn't enough of that folksy element of the previous 2 seasons. There also wasn't nearly the character development. I did love all the Lebowski references this year though but the previous two seasons were the best. Someone was saying that maybe Hawley focused too much on Legion and not enough on Fargo.

25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I thought the season was great overall, but there were a lot of loose ends that didn't get tied up.