1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Penguins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Lizard72, Apr 10, 2016.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Wow, what a start, hope they keep it up!!

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow - game over 2nd period - final 20 minutes of both teams just going though the motions to end it. Talk about a statement game. The demise talk of Matt Murray was quite premature. Only 3rd rookie with a SCF shutout.

Fans should have been showering the Preds bench with rotting fish all through the game. Would be super to take it in 6 on Sunday to avoid a do or die like with Ottawa.

3. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The Pens quit just going through the motions and played their game. Nashville didn't know what hit them. I'll still stick by my original prediction of the Pens winning in six games. It would be nice to win game 6 and show the opposition it's not where you play the game as much as the talent you have on your team.
    If not, the Pens should destroy them again if there needs to be a game 7. Good year for the Pens. One more win to go. Then we can look at next year.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Not trying to sound greedy, because I'll take the wins wherever, but I agree. I want them to win it at Nashville so there is not that "home team wins" talk.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Waiting for a 7pm face off is like waiting all day for that 7pm kickoff. The anxiety builds all day and time seems so slow and you hope that the curb stomping the Pens laid on the Preds the last game carries over into this one and they hoist the cup and Sid hands it to Letang or Cullen (dad) next.

6. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Regardless of where the Pens win the cup I would really like to see Crosby hoist the Cup and slam it against Subban's head and knock that dumb a$$ flat on the ice. Subban talks a much better game than he plays and he acts so dam stupid. The Pens to have done everything they accomplished this year with all their injuries is absolutely amazing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    City of Champions has another one. Back to Back the march has ended with One for the Thumb. Congrats Pens!!!!!

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    What an awesome game, series, playoff run and back to back seasons. So proud and so much respect from top down.

Have to feel bad for the Preds disallowed goal - hope they're better sports than the Seahawks clan. I think that makes up for the INT they took away from Troy against Indy in the 2005 playoffs. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Good job Pens. Now go get the next one and set a record that will stand for a long, long time.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Ahh... sorry guys for the extremely late thoughts. At work.

People outside my window were going crazy earlier this morning about the Pens. Read that they are the first team to win back to back cups in the salary cup era.

My friend Nathan texted me this morning stating this:

"Three Peat?! You better believe it!!"

He knows more hockey than I would. Given the fact that this is quite rare and that Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang are still there.. I would concur that a three peat is possible. Jake Guenztel and hopefully Daniel Sprong can help out next season too.

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    While it is possible there is a lot of work to do from a front office stand point and limited resources. As with any successful team large amounts of cap space are tied up with the top 5 guys. Then there is whether or not Cullen and Kunitz will retire
    , at least 6 or more RFA's to evaluate and potentially resign and the player pool for the expansion draft which will rob them of one of their greatest strengths goaltending because no way Vegas doesn't take Fleury.

So 3 peat is possible but it will be a huge challenge going forward.

12. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    As it should be since it has never happened before in modern times. The islanders won 4 in a row in the early 80's. Vegas surprised me by making the Pens odds on favorites at 8-1 to win the Cup again next year. I am going to wait a little while to see if I can get better odds. If not, it's worth a 1,000 bet from me on the three peat even at only 8-1. It's funny that 2 years ago the odds were 9-1, this year beginning odds were 10-1 and now 8-1.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It will be interesting to see how much that early line fluctuates ocean the expansion draft happens and free agency changes the league landscape

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    PITTSBURGH PENGUINS STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2017:applaud::drinks::hehehe::dancing:;):bowdown::thumbs up::clapping:

15. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I know you forgot 2016 and more than likely 2018.
    It amazes me how many of the talking heads 'experts' are starting to talk about
    the real possibility of a three-peat. Vegas has the Pens at odds on favorites at 8-1.
    I don't think the odds will change much before the season starts so I bet $1,000.00
    on them winning the Stanly Cup again this year for their third in a row. After all I'm
    playing with house money on this one. I've won enough on them the last two years I
    can afford giving a thousand back if that is the way it shakes out. If they do win another
    this coming year I'll just add it to the donation for the two animal shelters. I have been
    lucky enough to raise my target for them each year and hitting it but every time I do I
    realize how insignificant that small amount of money is when compared to their needs.
    I just need to remember what my wife told me before she past "you can't save them all
    so focus on the ones you can help and do the best job you can do".

• Like Like x 1
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  17. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The Pens are deep enough it should be okay.
    I think the draft will hurt the other teams as much or more than the Pens.

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    List looks scary but also have to view in context of all the other players available from other teams, the type of system that the Knights will play, salary cap restrictions and so on. So leaving guys like Cullen who may retire, Kunitz who wants to play but isn't against retiring and some other older vets isn't a big risk because the knights are looking to build and be competitive but I don't think they expect to field a Stanley Cup roster to start with. I'm more concerned about some of the younger guys still on entry level deals but who should NHL level chops those will be attractive since they cap hit is low. Hoping the list of veteran players that other teams have left unprotected will attract the Knights attention and keep them away from the Pens roster lol.

19. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The Pens are the best team going into the draft and they will be the best coming out of the draft. No worries, we are going for a three peat The farm system is strong enough to continue to be a source of new quality players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Not to mention, we'll still have Sully at the helm - dude is a genius. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well we all knew The Flower was gone as soon as the no trade clause was waived.

Sure needed him this year though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The start of the hockey season is less than a month away. Time to crank it up and go for a three-peat. Very hard to pull off, but I still think it will happen. I don't see any team that can stop them unless they stop themselves or the injuries are even more numerous than last year which would be hard to imagine.

23. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I, also think we have a great chance to 3-peat. Got to worry about them Blackhawks again now that got Brandon Saad back (PA boy), but that wouldn't be until the Finals.
    Our biggest challenge will be filling the roles of Daley, Kunitz, and Bonino. Some say Cullen won't be missed much but thats total BS, he is playing the best hockey of his life. Its also going to suck when Murray has a slump in the playoffs and we don't have ole reliable ready to save the day. Although, Niemi is a great new back up that has Finals experience, great pickup.

I'm not worried if we have to put some young forwards fresh out of the draft or the AHL in the mix early, because lets be honest, Sully can and will put anyone on Sids line and he will make them great, Sheary and Guentzel, for example.

I am excited to see how all this works out, it will be fun to watch. I have all the trust in the world in Rutherford, Sully, and Sid.

LGP!

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I also love the acquisition of Ryan Reeves, people will be second guessing to hit Crosby now:cool:

25. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens started their training camp yesterday. So not long until they begin the run for a three-peat.

• Like Like x 1