1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell a no show at camp and has not signed tender

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 13, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    but i thought they can only use the exclusive once per player. next year if they decide to tag him it would have to be a different one used. does that still apply? :cool:

2. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Didn't read the link, but pretty sure we can franchise him 3 times. First year is average of top 5 players at the position. Second year is similar, but adds a twist. Average of the top 5 or 120% of the previous year salary whichever is higher. The third year is the same as the second, but it's 140%.

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea i knew it went up in amounts but i was thinking it had to be a different tag. it doesn't. i remembered starks second year tag was a transition tag after they used the exclusive tag the year before. that may be why i was thinking we could only use it once. thanks strummer.:smiley1::cool:

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Here Mac I hope this clarifies the tags a little better for you.....

SB Nation:
    Exclusive:
    Just what the name implies. The player is locked into his team and cannot negotiate with any other team during the free agency period.

Non-exclusive: The player is allowed to negotiate with other teams, but if a competing team makes a free agent offer, the original team has the right to match it. If they don’t match the offer, they get two first-round picks in compensation. In other words, this is basically a convoluted trade scenario.

Transition tag: Similar to the non-exclusive tag, except the player gets paid an average of the top 10 salaries at his position, rather than top five. Transition-tagged players are free to negotiate with other teams, but unlike non-exclusive players, the original team gets no compensation if it fails to match an offer.

Once a player gets tagged, that’s when the real drama begins. Both sides have until July 15 to negotiate a long-term contract. This ramps up the sense of urgency. Teams don’t want to use the tag because it ties up a huge chunk of their salary cap for just one year. The players don’t like it because they don’t have any financial security beyond that one year, and have almost no leverage outside of threatening to hold out. If they fail to agree to a long-term deal before the deadline, the player is set for his one-year contract.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    thanks diamond. i knew how the tags worked but my confusion was how many times we could use each on one player. :cool:

7. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Well Mac now you know now they can tag the same player for 3 years in a row if they want to, but multiple tags are very expensive against the cap> More importantly however the steelers only have until July 15 4PM New york time to get a contract with Bell or they cant negotiate a new deal with him until after the last game is played this season, can they reach an agreement by the deadline in 26 days , if not Bell has no choice but to sign the tag or sit out for a year, I expect he wont leave 12M on the table....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They will not get a new deal done and yes Bell will sign the tender ..This is a ploy by Bell to show what is to come ...He will be looking for top money just like he said in his rap ..If the Steelers want to keep him long term they will have to pay up ...

As you stated they could always use the tag again , but that will be costly and increase the amount Bell will want in a new contract ...I don't see Bell staying long term unless Ben retires ...If Ben retires the Team will be forced to lean on the running game and Defense until another Franchise QB can be found ....

9. Walter Lemons

Walter Lemons Member

Jun 19, 2017
    I wouldn't give a major contract until he can give us a 16game season but Mike Tomlin better sign deangelo Williams cuz he is worth it

10. Walter Lemons

Walter Lemons Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Bell isn't worth a longtime deal he can't stay healthy but they need to sign deangelo Williams cuz he is worth it

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Give or take that's about what a new contract would cost? And there is no up front money risk on a guy who has repeatedly proven to be unreliable?

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No big surprise, he isn't healthy yet. The concern will be training camp.

As far as the tag, he will sign it. They won't extend his contract this year.

Tuitt will get a new contract.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Is it truely any leverage? He can't go anywhere else and he won't sit out the season. It has no affect on anyone.

14. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    One thing I think has been overlooked, money-wise, is that RB contracts inked over the past 2-3 years seem to have disregarded the Peterson contract numbers. It's like the front offices and (grudgingly) agents have realized it's an outlier.

So I don't think any long-term Bell contract MUST be based on his tag-year salaries.

15. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Actually it is a little more complicated than that, to understand how the NFL arrives at the number to pay a tagged player each year has to do more with a 5 year cap average than with one player setting the payout at each position, it's all mumbo jumbo to me:

How much will a player get paid under the tag?
    The franchise tag salary amount is set by averaging the top five salaries by position, or if it’s higher, 120 percent of a player’s salary the previous season. More specifically, as per Pro Football Talk, “the tenders are determined by the aggregate sum of the salary cap for the five prior years, divided by the aggregate sum of the franchise tags at each position over the same five-year period. The relative cap percentage is then applied to the base salary cap number for the new league year.”

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you're scaring me man. all that voodoo that you do so well. :huh::lolol::smiley1::cool:

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I had an easier time understanding the Schrodinger equation than the tag system.

18. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    2 years on a F-tag would be the way to go but you know Bell's people know it too. Khan may be able to wrap him up for 4 for right around the price of two tags, I'm talking guaranteed not overall. In fact, I think they'll be able to come to terms with him at that level.

I think the dirty secret in the NFL, in terms of large salaries, is the guaranteed money.
    We see /hear 30 million(!) the player is lucky to get 10 of that when it's all said and done.

19. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Here is what I say Mac. He plays the tag this year. He plays 16 games and we win the SB and he is a big time show in said game. Sign him long term if he doesn't want to break the bank. He misses 4 games for any reason, wish him well in all his future endeavors!

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    in some way, when and if we finally get rid of him, we get the most we can for him. hopefully thats two or three years down the road sarge. :cool:

21. Diamond

May 26, 2012

from-
    Professional Sports (NFL)
    Football ( US)

This is why agents try to front load contracts with huge signing bonuses -- the signing bonus essentially becomes insurance that the player won't be cut until he sees all, or a lion's share, of his contract.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  22. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I hear you. I'm saying that whatever's been used to determine a franchise-tag salary has Petersen's contract baked in. But over the course of that contract, not even the best RB in the league has gotten AP money.

So ... Bell is both under the cap and *not* under the cap?

23. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Maybe with all the injury risk factors in giving fully guaranteed contracts prevents the NFL from giving them to veteran players, rookies get them but their salaries for a 4 year contract is minimal compared to a star veteran player:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/188169010/guaranteed-contracts-will-not-work-nfl

24. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    OK, that makes sense to me albeit I'm no financial wiz. I worked with a guy who had a brief stint in the NFL I guess, and in terms of money he always asked, "How much is guaranteed? " In fact, that was his mantra, I guess he was explaining why he worked with me (LOL). It got me thinking, so every-time I hear of one of these monster contracts I try to look at that 1st.

Case in point, AB's contract, made him happy because he was able to announce to the world I'm the highest paid WR in the league, as I should be, they know what they gots here. Look at me!
    But a closer look reveals the Rooneys got away w/ a bargain as the actual guaranteed money doesn't even put AB in top 10 field! Incredible! (My friend was right) but both parties are happy so we're happy.

Players such as Bell need the big money numbers to show the world "I'm it", and savvy owners need years vs guaranteed money to be able to give that to the player and keep em.

25. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah what you said Mac. That'll work.