1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell a no show at camp and has not signed tender

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's guaranteed to get 12 million (assuming he ever signs his tender) so why on earth would he ever take a 10 mill deal?

They aren't signing Bell for less than 12 million per for a long term deal. He's probably looking for the 15 mark that he rapped about. Likely will be around 13 million if they get something done.

He's every bit a receiver as he is a RB, before anyone says thats too much for a RB.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That's too much for a running back.

Sorry, the temptation was too great. :drinks:

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I knew somebody still would :lolol:

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually, there was a story yesterday where some "executive" or whatever said they'd pass on giving Bell a long term blockbuster of a deal.I want him here. Period. IF Ben does decide to walk away Bell would become even more invaluable in taking the pressure off a young qb. The dude has to be accounted for on every single play whether he's in the backfield or whether he's not.

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Bells expectations for a big money deal far exceeds the market value for a running back as this pay scale chart indicates, I dont think this team is going to give him 15 mill a year when the market value average right now is between 5 and 6 mill a year with only one back making 7 mill and one back making 8 mill a year...

https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  6. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Who were the last money guys... looking for the big money... Holmes and Wallace?

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The market was set by Petersons contract of 14 million. Thats why Bells tag is so high.

8. B.LaCe

B.LaCe Member

Jun 12, 2017
    I agree. McCoy's deal IS for $8M/year avg. but I'd guess the big sticking point with Le'Veon will be guaranteed money. McCoy is guaranteed $18M, that's the highest among NON-rookie contracts (which are dictated by which round you're selected). After that Doug Martin is guaranteed $15M and Lamar Miller $14M. After that there is a huge drop-off to $9m in guarantees. So, IF Bell is willing to bet on himself (not suffering a major injury) he could earn unprecedented money for a running back by playing under the franchise tag the next two seasons (assuming he's tagged next year). Any deal that may be reached would have to guarantee him much more than what McCoy is getting to even come close to the guarantees he'd receive under the franchise tag. If I were to guess, he's going to want 50% guaranteed which would be higher than McCoys 46%. At $10M for five years thats $25M or $20M for 4 years.

9. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    And AP is now making 3.5 mill on a 7 mill 2 year contract, and thats my point, Bells timing for a new deal for what he wants isnt going to happen this year or next year, this team isnt going to pay him mega dollars when the market says he wants more than he is worth here or any where else for that matter......

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah I guess they can try to go that route but Bell won't be here anymore if they do. I don't remember the details surrounding AP's decrease in pay but Id imagine Bell would fall on the floor laughing if they said, hey Bell, the market was set at 14 million but now AP is making 7 million so tough luck.

One way or the other, Bell will be making much more that that. Either by signing his tag and getting 12 million, which will then set the market at that amount or they will negotiate a number in that ball park. Don't kid yourself that Bell will only get around 8 million.

11. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I never said he would get 8 mill, I said he will never get 15 mill here or on any other team, thats quarterback money, and he better have a career year or he can forget getting 12...

12. B.LaCe

B.LaCe Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Well if the highest avg/year is McCoy at $8M and the next highest is almost $1M lower, I'm wondering how Bell is going to negotiate anything higher than $10M avg/year. I really think $9M avg/year (making him the highest paid by $1M/year more than McCoy) is more likely. $10M would be almost too much, with the current market!

Playing out 2 years under the tag would mean $13.5M, so signing a long term deal would pay him significantly less, I'd assume. And if he's going to play under the tag, I wouldn't expect to see him at any team function that he wasn't obligated to be at (contractually) simply to avoid injury.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Unless he holds out, he will get close to that this year when he signs his tender. And when they tag him again next year, it will be 14.54 million. Might as well try and work out a long term deal but it won't be below 12 million.

I don't think thats how the market is set. Even if you remove the 14 million Peterson contract, you still have the 12 million contract that Bell will receive when he signs his tender. He's not going to take less then that.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The 12 million is more a benchmark for his 2017 payday than annual average. He is guaranteed $12 million for 2017, so any deal is going to need to include well in excess of $12 million in guaranteed 2017 cash. The annual average doesn't mean without the guaranteed money now.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Antonio and Ben?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. B.LaCe

B.LaCe Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Then how did Shady sign a deal for $8M/year when he was arguably the best back in the league and AP had the "market set" at $15M? I see your point but the market has taken a strong downturn on RBs since over the past two seasons.

If anyone is worth $12M/year, it's Bell and I have no problem with him wanting that... I'm just not sure any contender can/will pay that in the current NFL. They can make him the highest paid rb by far at $10M per. While the tag may pay him up to $26M over the next two years, I don't think that will set the bar for a long term deal. I think he's in a rough situation because he's worth more than what the current market for RBs pays. But maybe he can set the new bar, like you're saying.

17. B.LaCe

B.LaCe Member

Jun 12, 2017
    With Bells unfortunate injury history and workload, I'd think guaranteed money would be the smartest thing to strive for. With back to back tags the guaranteed money is $26-27M over two years. 5 years at 10 million with 50% guaranteed gets him that money, plus a long term deal. That beats Shadys deal of 5 year/ $40M at 46% guaranteed.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    With his history and Market value of RB's what I mentioned in previous thread is all
    I would be willing too offer Le'vean. And I feel that is too much.

19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I honestly don't care if they sign him long term or not. Between injuries and suspensions he's never been fully available to the team. Considering a running backs career length it really doesn't make sense to sign him to a long term deal. Franchise him for a couple years and let someone else overpay for a running back on the tail end of his career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He's only 25 so my thinking was tie him up until 29-30 and move on.

I think is going to be difficult to work a deal out with though, so 2 years under the tag seems likely at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i still say the two franchise years and move on. actual age and years in the league kind of counter each other to an extent at this position. timmons kind of fell into this scenario too for us. youngish but years in the league added up. according to this article bell would be at the decline age after two seasons of the tag.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjGpq2cycfUAhVLeT4KHTw5AsQQFghGMAY&url=http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/123542/inside-slant-running-back-cliff-after-age-27&usg=AFQjCNFfZ84efTWSYEqzRQcarUuo5GcZ2A

:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

At 29-30 that's a lot of mileage on a rb. Don't get me wrong he's an outstanding back, but he's got a limited shelf life. We won't be able to grab a Bell clone, but great backs aren't hard to come by.

23. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I think his exclusive tag is a one time deal, they will either sign him to a longer contract or move on between now and the start of the off season, and it's on Bell to prove he can have a career season to even deserve an extended contract..........

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i believe it's a franchise tag and then in year two they can use the transition tag. anyone? :cool:

25. Diamond

May 26, 2012

There are 3 different tag designations: Exclusive- non exclusive and transition:

Feb 27 2017
    The Pittsburgh Steelers ensured Le'Veon Bell isn't hitting the free-agent market.

The team placed the exclusive franchise tag on the dual-threat running back on Monday, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. The exclusive tag means he cannot negotiate with any other team.